It takes a village to raise an idiot.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grouseman
That car gets better looking with age.

I agree

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good friend had a maroon one when I was in high school - bout all I remember was it was a 6 cylinder with 6 carbs. Very quick little car, lots of fun. He was 6'4" and weighed about 230, so it fit him like a glove - but he liked it better than the Mustang he had before it.

I REALLY enjoyed driving that car!

Mike Holmes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Growing up, we had one of the first body style, a 1961 I think. It was blue, but I can't recall whether it had 4 doors or 2 doors...probably four. My dad liked it because it got pretty good fuel economy, but he traded it in for a 1963 Galaxy 500. When men were men and cars were steel!

My grandmother had a black Monza of the second body style, I think it was a '63 but maybe a '64. It had a little lever on the dash that controlled the auto trans. My uncle had just turned 16 and pretty much trashed that car in short order.

In the early 80s around El Paso, dune buggies and sand rails were a big thing because we had many thousands of acres of unfenced desert with varied topography to run around on. My uncle bought a trashed out sand rail of the type normally powered with a VW 4-banger and rebuilt it and bolted a Corvair 6-banger in it (you had to adapt them because the engines turned in opposite directions). I'm not sure which engine it was but I think it may have originally been a 164 hp motor, which got hopped up a bit. Talk about something quick!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
but he traded it in for a 1963 Galaxy 500.
I had one of those, same year. It was a great car although it was high miles when I got it. I only had it for a couple of years before it got too expensive to keep running. It needed a new engine, clutch, and other stuff. Those big cars of that time were great on the highway...when gas cost .25.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 65 Corsa 140
(I wish I still owned it)
This was my second car that I did all the body work on. I had it professonaly painted, they did a little work, to tidy it up before paint.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sactoller; 12/11/23.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Friend had a Corvair in the early 1970’s (not sure what stripe it was), it did catch on fire

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a 65' Corsa for a little while in HS., sporty cars.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I had a friend in high school and his dad was a big Corsair enthusiast. None of them had a turbo.

As I recall, he had four of them. He also had an old school Jaguar XKE.

My buddy inherited one of the Corvair's as his first car.

I had an old Corvair van for a short while. It was ancient when I bought it and it overheated easily. It broke down on me one day when I was going to work. I coaxed it into an apartment parking lot and abandoned it there. It eventually disappeared.

For a year afterwards my only transportation was a 650 Norton N-15. Strangly enough, the old Norton is still running. I stumbled across it on Facebook Marketplace a while back.

It's still there. I put the Mikuni conversion on it back in '79. It also has a kickstarter off of an 850 Commando. I broke the original kickstarter. I looked like a mutant when I owned that Norton. My right leg was muscled up much more than my left from kickstarting that thing. My next motorcycle was a '77 Harley XLCR which had an electric start--quite a luxury after 3 years of kickstarting a 650 Norton to life.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...l_code=null&referral_story_type=post

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty good off road too.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I suspect someone who really knew what they were doing could employ some of the newer dual-compressor wheel turbo tech to ease or mostly eliminate the turbo lag and have a real sleeper-screamer.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Leno said there is a huge aftermarket for these motors , as someone mentioned earlier, dune buggy, etc keep demand up

you can get Fuel Injection , 4 wheel disc brakes, I'm certain there would be turbo upgrades as well.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These are excellent cars and I had several in the 1970s and 80s - some were daily drivers and all were very dependable. Easy to maintain and repair and that engine seemed indestructible - never wore one out. Mostly just needed to replace seals on the ends of the valve tubes - and improved materials (Viton?) fixed that issue. Transaxle setup was tough and very good.

Mine were all 65 and later - second and much more elegant body style. I had only the two door coupes and convertibles - a total of six over time. The 4 door looked stodgy to me, so stayed away from those. Had only one with the auto trans - early on - handy shifting, but a mush bucket and avoided thereafter. I found them to be very good at autocross. Routinely loaded a bag of sand in the front compartment to help with oversteer and soon learned to put a good tensioner on the convoluted fan/gen belt.

Had all three carb/horsepower versions and liked the 140 hp setup the best in terms of feasibility with power. Had two turbo Corsa models with 4 speed stick and they were very, very quick - surprised a bunch of braggarts who had no idea - cleaned out a lot of those on Fri and Sat evenings. Lube issue with that turbo setup could be a challenge.

My wife put over 80k miles on her vanilla 2 carb 67 coupe, and loved it. Always wanted one of the Corvair HCF pickups with the side loading ramp - and still do - but got way into the 67 to 72 Chev/GMC trucks. Maybe I can still find one.

Nice thread - thanks.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During the Nadar witch hunt there was an article on a Corvair auto cross car that was quick. Other than the usual mods, there were limit straps on the a-arms to keep it from rolling the inside wheels under in high g turns. Seemed to work well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 63 bottom of the line 4 door going to college. It was cheap to run and always ran. Problem was the gas heater. Would work maybe 10% of the time and fill the inside with fumes. Darn near froze to death going back to Ft Collins for school and never could get the heater started.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddies VW bus had one of those gas heaters, sounded like a jet engine and fear of lighting it kept you warm.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In high school a friend had a Spyder, turbo, IIRC a '64. It was pretty quick. I'm thinking 185 hsp. Almost got killed in it one day when we were out shooting woodchucks after school. Cranking down the 1 1/2 lane blacktop along the river we hit a small curve after cresting a small rise just fast enough to unweight the rear end....holy shcitt! Fortunately, learning to drive in that region one of the primary skills you acquire is controlling a skid. Young reflexes and fast hands on the wheel and after a couple of probably over 90 degree oscillations he had it straightened out and down the road we continued.

We took that car down to Syracuse (120 mile expedition, big deal for high school kids in those days) one day with a couple of girlfriends. On the way home it started overheating. We pulled over to the side of interstate 81, under a bridge to discover the fan belt was broken. One of the girls was wearing those new-fangled (at the time) pantyhose which we appropriated to fill in for the fan belt and that got us the remaining 50 miles home.

Another friend had one which I got to drive quite a bit. I don't remember the year, but it was white and had, IIRC, 145 or 150 hsp, 3 speed on the floor. It was a fun little car to drive. I hated to see him get rid of it for a big, white Pontiac or Olds convertible with (iirc) a 421 cu in V-8.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Fury01
Ralph Nader. The man who despised freedom. An early leader of the now rushing tide.
F01
Yup. Nader was the father of the nanny state. He called himself a 'consumer advocate' and thought the government should pass volumes of laws to protect us from ourselves. His early target was the auto industry. He wrote the book "Unsafe at Any Speed' which accused the Corvair of being a very dangerous car to drive. This book was instrumental in the passage of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act which gave the government the power to regulate the American car industry.

My dad never fully got over being required by law to wear a seatbelt.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Those shown here are sharp cars. I always thought so. See one once in a while for sale but it’s usually the older ugly models.. maybe I can find one for my grandson and keep it nice. Should be a novelty by the time he is a teenager. EdK

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a 180 HP turbo when I was in HS was pretty ratty back then about 72 would eat the turbo bearings and had a head issue.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 29aholic, 264mag, 32 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.