Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Get a 20MOA base and mount it in reverse to offset the supposed bad receiver?

GB1

R
RPN Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

Can't do that with a R700, the receiver mounting levels are different.

I'd go with offset plastic inserts in Burris rings.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I spoke with Jerry again. He thinks the receiver is too low in the back. I'm going to check that today.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it's the receiver, I'd start on a new rifle with a real action. If you're married to that one, Murphy Precision can make you a base to correct.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by timspawn
I spoke with Jerry again. He thinks the receiver is too low in the back. I'm going to check that today.

How are you going to check that?

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Too low in the back reduces elevation. You're hitting too high.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RPN
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

Can't do that with a R700, the receiver mounting levels are different.

I'd go with offset plastic inserts in Burris rings.

Burris Signature rings are my favorite mounts, and they can take care of this issue.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
With the front of the base screwed down and no screws in the back, there is about 15 to 20 thousandths gap between the bottom of the base and the top of the receiver at the rear. Screwing the rear of the base down will case the scope to cant upward the same amount which makes a big difference at 100 yards and beyond. The solution is to bed the rail to the rifle so there is no bend in the rail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the front of the base screwed down and no screws in the back, there is about 15 to 20 thousandths gap between the bottom of the base and the top of the receiver at the rear. Screwing the rear of the base down will case the scope to cant upward the same amount which makes a big difference at 100 yards and beyond. The solution is to bed the rail to the rifle so there is no bend in the rail.

Which is why I bed every base on every action. wink

Forbidden Zoner
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Which is why I bed every base on every action. wink

I've probably mounted a hundred scopes and never had an issue. First time for everything I guess.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Interesting how canting the scope upward toward the front leaves you hitting high.

BTW, how old is that 700 action?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's likely that it's a Remington issue, but you can't rule out a bad base at this point.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mathman

Interesting how canting the scope upward toward the front leaves you hitting high.

BTW, how old is that 700 action?

It's a newer one. Two years old maybe.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It's likely that it's a Remington issue, but you can't rule out a bad base at this point.

The one I started with was a Leupold, the one on there now, the one I used the feeler gauge on is an EGW.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Said scope is a piece of fhuqking schit,with but 25 MOA of erector "latitude" and that with windage CENTERED,which it isn't. Hint.

Burris Signature Extremes are an EASY fix and all you need to do,is toss +20 MOA in the front ring bottom and "0" in the rear,to land center-esque in the S&B's ridiculous fhuqking window of "opportunity". Hint.

Just saying........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Indeed. Doesn't make much sense.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Makes you wonder if the OP is turning the turrets the wrong direction. Those S&B scopes have some unusual markings for elevation direction on some models and it can be confusing, I have moved them the wrong way myself. I don't own any S&B scopes now but if I remember correctly the Precision Hunter I had did not just have "U" for moving the point of impact up and "D" for moving it down. I am not familiar with the Polar T96.

Last edited by VaHunter; 12/12/23.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by VaHunter

Makes you wonder if the OP is turning the turrets the wrong direction. Those S&B scopes have some unusual markings for elevation direction on some models and it can be confusing. They don't just have "U" for moving the point of impact up and "D" for moving it down.

Actually it does have U and D.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by VaHunter

Makes you wonder if the OP is turning the turrets the wrong direction. Those S&B scopes have some unusual markings for elevation direction on some models and it can be confusing. They don't just have "U" for moving the point of impact up and "D" for moving it down.

Actually it does have U and D.

Well there goes that theory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The one I started with was a Leupold, the one on there now, the one I used the feeler gauge on is an EGW.

Gotcha.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.