Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
32,33 and 34 keep calling to me. 70 and 71 are nipping at their heals. If only I were willing to sell a few other firearms I could probably make one of them happen but I just don't want it that bad. Yet.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Anybody get prices?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Anybody get prices?
Again, you need to call David!! He has the prices. I am just the messenger. I wasn’t given the prices when I posted the pictures…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sent him an email requesting prices and other info last night. Haven't heard back yet....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sheister
I sent him an email requesting prices and other info last night. Haven't heard back yet....
Phone call would be better, he’s 82 and not too savvy with computers and electronics

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, I'll consider that. But with so many blanks, it might be a long conversation. An email with pictures, reference numbers, pricing, and footnotes answering questions would be a lot more efficient to handle .

Where is he located?

Last edited by Sheister; 12/11/23.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
. . . I know the number 72 and number 53 blanks have already been sold. . . .
Small world.

Image below shows numbers 72 and 53 sitting in my gun builder's shop. They're destined for a couple of high-end pieces, most definitely not for my consumption. .

--Bob

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
..might want to move them away from the woodstove..,

I have an email exchange ongoing with the owner of this incredible collection of wood, with details and prices for the couple that I was interested in,

patience is a worthy virtue,

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am curious about the names of reputable stock builders who are still accepting work along with ball park price ranges. I figure under a grand for the blank and then over a grand for the stock work. Maybe I'm miles off with my guessing but from what I'm finding online, I'm not going to find a really nice custom rifle with the features I want for anything under $4K unless I happen to walk into a gunshop with a sleeper on the rack for cheap...

You can check the gun makers guild website to get a lead on stock makers. And as far as the wood is concerned, I have a 280 REM stocked with a piece of Turkish Walnut that I paid $700 for. Not including the parts for the rifle my gunsmith charged me $4,000 for the labor which included cutting the stock , chambering the barrel, blueing and polishing, etc. The rifle was NOT cheap, but I have never regretted it. See pic...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Sabretooth; 12/13/23.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffG
I have an email exchange ongoing with the owner of this incredible collection of wood, with details and prices for the couple that I was interested in
patience is a worthy virtue,

David will work with you, but yes you have to wait...phone conversation is better IMO, but that is just me. I spoke to him last week and he informed me he had a guy agree to buy 28 sticks, and another wanted six pieces. And oh by the way, the guy who purchased 28 sticks: he said those blanks were running anywhere from $700-$850 a piece...DAMN!!

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Almost looks like a Sako action?? Beautiful rifle!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Almost looks like a Sako action?? Beautiful rifle!
The 280 that you see above is built off a Dakota 76. The one that you see progress pics of (on pg1 of the thread, the 243 Winchester) is built off a Sako L57 NOT an L579. An L57! 😜

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks! Never seen a l57. Very familiar with the l579.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am curious about the names of reputable stock builders who are still accepting work along with ball park price ranges. I figure under a grand for the blank and then over a grand for the stock work. Maybe I'm miles off with my guessing but from what I'm finding online, I'm not going to find a really nice custom rifle with the features I want for anything under $4K unless I happen to walk into a gunshop with a sleeper on the rack for cheap...

You can check the gun makers guild website to get a lead on stock makers. And as far as the wood is concerned, I have a 280 REM stocked with a piece of Turkish Walnut that I paid $700 for. Not including the parts for the rifle my gunsmith charged me $4,000 for the labor which included cutting the stock , chambering the barrel, blueing and polishing, etc. The rifle was NOT cheap, but I have never regretted it. See pic...

Sweet rifle, very pretty!

KB

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

When was the work done as that is pretty inexpensive these days?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bump...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nothing like a good stick of wood. Hmmm.
Where in TX are you?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Located in Houston but I have posted this for a friend. He (and the wood) are located in California... give him a call!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
30 something years ago I walked into a gun shop and saw a Model 70 Super grade 30-06 with stunning wood on it. The price was 800.00 something and my don't use the credit card for something you can't pay off right away unless it is a need rather than a want mantra kicked in.

If I had a time machine I'd go back and tell myself to break that rule this one time. I've enjoyed some nice rifles over the years but I think my hunting memories would have over all been better if I'd just hunted everything with that 30-06.

A beautiful Model 70 .30-06 checks all the boxes for me!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Located in Houston but I have posted this for a friend. He (and the wood) are located in California... give him a call!
I was hoping the shop was here in the Houston area. I'd love to come observe and learn. Maybe bring my son so he could see some true craftsmanship.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.