Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Just a heads up, piston guns tend to be hard on scopes. Don't be surprised if you knock the hairs loose in older glass.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by zcm82
Just a heads up, piston guns tend to be hard on scopes. Don't be surprised if you knock the hairs loose in older glass.
I know they jar them pretty bad. This scope is no prize pig. If it disintegrates, no big loss. That's why I mounted it rather than a good scope.

I have a Daisy 880 pellet rifle. It's been on a rack for years. I took it down and when I pump it, it doesn't have any resistance, evidently not compressing air. I oiled the piston, still not working. I'm not sure it's worth fixing. Ideas?

DF

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I know they jar them pretty bad. This scope is no prize pig. If it disintegrates, no big loss. That's why I mounted it rather than a good scope.

I have a Daisy 880 pellet rifle. It's been on a rack for years. I took it down and when I pump it, it doesn't have any resistance, evidently not compressing air. I oiled the piston, still not working. I'm not sure it's worth fixing. Ideas?

DF

Is it cocked? The Daisy guns have to be cocked to make pressure.

If it is cocked but still not making pressure, the trigger valve is probably stuck or has some gunk in it not letting it close all the way. I've had to take those apart a couple times to clear little bits of debris out of them.

Last edited by zcm82; 12/20/23. Reason: addition
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Is it cocked? The Daisy guns have to be cocked to make pressure.

If it is cocked but still not making pressure, the trigger valve is probably stuck or has some gunk in it not letting it close all the way. I've had to take those apart a couple times to clear little bits of debris out of them.
Yeah, same deal when it's cocked. I never took one down to clean the trigger valve. Maybe something on You Tube about doing that.

Thanks for the head up.

DF

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Yeah, they are pretty simple to take apart. There are YT videos, because that's where I learned to take mine down 👍

Just keep track of the screws carefully, because there are several different lengths that sandwich the plastic housing around the pneumatic guts.

The trigger valves are a bit of a bugger to get apart and back together; the spring in them is really stiff.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
KB, I was thinking the same.

Great minds?

I had an old Banner 4X scope I mounted in its rimfire grooves. I was having a hard time with the fiber optic sights. Hard to get my head down to see them and they were blurry.

I want to use the scope to try various pellets to see just how accurate this gun actually is. Plan that tomorrow.

DF

Let's go with great minds, because if I had a grandson, I would definitely get him a pellet rifle, for Christmas as well. cool

My Pellet rifle is a Crossman Nitro Venom and it came with a Center Point 3-9x32 scope, never had any issues with the scope. Dam rifle is a tank and it weighs more than my 30-06 lol.

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/20/23.

KB

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
KB, at least this little Ruger isn’t that heavy. It has a 2 stage trigger, first stage is really long, second stage is very manageable.

I’m studying You Tube info on repairing the Daisy 880. It sat up so long, “O” rings probably dried up. Will figure it out.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's amazing how much you can learn on YouTube hey?

I learned a lot by watching videos about refinishing stocks before I started refinishing/working on my M1917, which has a 2-stage trigger, the first stage is really long as well. I really like that feature!

Looking forward to seeing the young man with his new rife, I will bet you $1,000.00 that his smile will be wider than the Mississippi River smile

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/20/23.

KB

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by KillerBee
It's amazing how much you can learn on YouTube hey?

I learned a lot by watching videos about refinishing stocks before I started refinishing/working on my M1917, which has a 2-stage trigger, the first stage is really long as well. I really like that feature!

Looking forward to seeing the young man with his new rife, I will bet you $1,000.00 that his smile will be wider than the Mississippi River smile
No way I’d cover that bet…!

I found that my antique eyes don’t do well with the fiber optic sights, unless I hold it out at arms length like a pistol. I tried two different scopes, wasn’t too impressed with accuracy, but those aren’t premium scopes. Tried a number of pellets. Can’t say I’ve found the perfect combo.

Trigger takes some getting used to, but not that bad. Young eyes for sure are better than mine. Gun should shoot good enough for him to learn.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/20/23.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
KB, I was thinking the same.

Great minds?

I had an old Banner 4X scope I mounted in its rimfire grooves. I was having a hard time with the fiber optic sights. Hard to get my head down to see them and they were blurry.

I want to use the scope to try various pellets to see just how accurate this gun actually is. Plan that tomorrow.

DF

Let's go with great minds, because if I had a grandson, I would definitely get him a pellet rifle, for Christmas as well. cool

My Pellet rifle is a Crossman Nitro Venom and it came with a Center Point 3-9x32 scope, never had any issues with the scope. Dam rifle is a tank and it weighs more than my 30-06 lol.

The big piston guns are pretty hefty. I had a couple Hatsan springers that were 8-9# Sold them, they were accurate, but hold sensitive and just too heavy for my liking.

I broke a couple scopes on the 22 cal. Springers seem to be even harder on glass than NP rifles. I had to dampen the stocks on both of those because the vibration actually made my teeth hurt.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems this Chinese Ruger isn’t that powerful, so may not be as hard on scopes as the more potent guns.

I’m not too impressed with accuracy, but it should serve its purpose.

Gotta get my Daisy fixed and see how it stacks up against the Ruger.

DF

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
All of my Daisies are quite accurate. The 1977XS took some work, though. The trigger on that one was beyond terrible. It's still not even close to good, but I did get it lightened up almost a pound.

901 20 yards
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1977XS 20 or 25 yards... been a while back so I can't remember which distance.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The 880 is not quite as good as the 901s, but close.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's way mo better than the Ruger. In fact, that's pretty good.

DF

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I like them a lot. They work pretty considering how cheap they are. One downside is they do not take optics well, if you're wanting them scoped. With the dovetail being two sides of fairly spongy plastic sandwiched together, scopes don't hold a zero for beans if the rifle gets bumped around much.

I just use the sights on a couple of them, and have a Williams AG peep on one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Seems this Chinese Ruger isn’t that powerful, so may not be as hard on scopes as the more potent guns.

DF

Which pellets have you tried so far? Pellets make a HUGE difference. One of the pellet brands I tested didn't even hit paper and that was 2' x4' foot plywood board. at 30 yards.

After a year of shooting the pellet rifle, next Christmas, he gets the .22 right? hehehe.

KB

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Which pellets have you tried so far? Pellets make a HUGE difference. One of the pellet brands I tested didn't even hit paper and that was 2' x4' foot plywood board. at 30 yards.

After a year of shooting the pellet rifle, next Christmas, he gets the .22 right? hehehe.
I don't have a list, but it's about a short dozen.

DF

Edited to add, my JSB Match Diabolo have been shipped, not yet received. So, those should make the difference.

Will report.

I noticed some of the others dropped into the chamber, some had to be pushed. Some variation from the same can. So, who knows.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/21/23.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z

DF

They can be really individual animals, too. I've got 2 identical 901s made within a few hundred of each other by SN and they prefer different pellets for optimum accuracy. I ended up putting a little blob of white out on one of them so I remember which pellets to use 😂

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

DF

They can be really individual animals, too. I've got 2 identical 901s made within a few hundred of each other by SN and they prefer different pellets for optimum accuracy. I ended up putting a little blob of white out on one of them so I remember which pellets to use 😂

As mentioned I have found that Air Arms Field Heavy and Exact are the best pellets, Magpies hate them lol

This is my 10,000 lbs. Beast haha

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/22/23.

KB

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That’s a hoss of a gun.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It sure is.

I am a big game hunter, I was in a local gun store buying a .300 Win Mag, and it caught my eye, so I bought it on a whim to relive my childhood lol.

It weighs more than my favorite moose rifle. shocked

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/22/23.

KB

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (257_X_50, 222Sako, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.