Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can't say you're wrong. You might've hunted more than a button buck in your time I imagine.

Semper Fi
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Is the 300 weatherby considered a “big game” cartridge?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
He said he had his coffee so yeah he’s for real

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by anothergun
Did you have your coffee yet ?

Yes pard I did, just wanting to know what yall fudds think of the round, is it too much for the whitetail?

Yes it is too much at close range. If you shoot at 300 or more you should be good. But what happens if a nice deer steps out really close, then what ? I had a guy I knew shoot a mule deer at 50 yards, he said it looked like a murder scene, blood everywhere.
I shot a whitetail at 25 yards, but it was only with a 300 winnie. I was using the old school Barnes X bullets, and no there wasn't blood everywhere

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Would the 180 TTSX be adequate for some whitetail? I want the bang flops and no meat damage.
I was thinking about trying that same bullet in my 300 Roy. More of an elk load, but it'll kill deer just fine.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Pard, Magnum is just a selling term

Fück Joe byron
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've shot several deer with 300 Wby and 180 TTSX and TSX. I was in Brown Bear Country in Alaska, so I needed a gun that could handle a bear as well as a deer. The shots did not cause a lot of meat damage when it was a heart/lung shot. Exits about the size of a quarter.
I once shot a coyote with a 180 TSX. I could barely find the entrance or exit hole. The yote just dropped.
Besides that, I've taken large game like Elk and Nilgai with spectacular results. My elk had complete penetration thru both shoulders.
It's a mother off the bench, but I hardly feel any recoil while shooting at game.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All I know is the 300 Bee will mete out some righteous justice on a calf killing coyote. (180 Sierra PH driven HARD!)

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by McCray
All I know is the 300 Bee will mete out some righteous justice on a calf killing coyote. (180 Sierra PH driven HARD!)

Prairie Dogs as well….:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Would the 180 TTSX be adequate for some whitetail? I want the bang flops and no meat damage.
Monos have less frontal area than C&C when expanded so usually do less meat damage but if you reload I would suggest reducing to 30-06 velocity or even less unless you anticipate longer shots.
"Would the 180 TTSX be adequate for some whitetail?"
I've used my .300 Wby with Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets for a large variety of animals from a 20 pound African Klipspringer to Montana bull elk and Canadian moose. If anything, I would consider my .300 Wby an overkill (if there is such a thing) for any whitetail. Like others have posted, bang flops and meat damage depends more on where the animal is hit than the type of bullet.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Monos have less frontal area than C&C when expanded so usually do less meat damage.
Some of my recovered Barnes bullets and some of my recovered Partitions from elk that I shot. I don't see much difference in expanded diameters.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For many years my favorite elk bullets were 180 grain Partitions from my .30 Gibb. Many times a broadside "behind the shoulder" hit would leave a dinner plate size area of bloodshot meat. The first elk that I shot with my .300 Wby was with a 168 gr TSX bullet that hit him broadsice behind his shoulder and there was only about a fist size amount of bloodshot damage. He was also a bang flop.

So the next elk that I shot with my .300 Wby, I thought to myself that "these bullets don't damate much meat, so I didn't wait for a broadside shot and shot him on the point of his shoulder with him quartering toward me. My 168 gr TTSX bullet hit the bull's large front leg bone next to the shoulder socket, and went almost completely through him, stopping in the ham of his opposite back leg. About half of his shoulder was bloodshot. He was a 3 step bang flop.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by buffybr
Monos have less frontal area than C&C when expanded so usually do less meat damage but if you reload I would suggest reducing to 30-06 velocity or even less unless you anticipate longer shots.
I've used my .300 Wby with Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets for a large variety of animals from a 20 pound African Klipspringer to Montana bull elk and Canadian moose. If anything, I would consider my .300 Wby an overkill (if there is such a thing) for any whitetail. Like others have posted, bang flops and meat damage depends more on where the animal is hit than the type of bullet.

"Monos have less frontal area than C&C when expanded so usually do less meat damage.
Some of my recovered Barnes bullets and some of my recovered Partitions from elk that I shot. I don't see much difference in expanded diameters.

For many years my favorite elk bullets were 180 grain Partitions from my .30 Gibb. Many times a broadside "behind the shoulder" hit would leave a dinner plate size area of bloodshot meat. The first elk that I shot with my .300 Wby was with a 168 gr TSX bullet that hit him broadsice behind his shoulder and there was only about a fist size amount of bloodshot damage. He was also a bang flop.

So the next elk that I shot with my .300 Wby, I thought to myself that "these bullets don't damate much meat, so I didn't wait for a broadside shot and shot him on the point of his shoulder with him quartering toward me. My 168 gr TTSX bullet hit the bull's large front leg bone next to the shoulder socket, and went almost completely through him, stopping in the ham of his opposite back leg. About half of his shoulder was bloodshot. He was a 3 step bang flop.

Good info. Have you tried the 175 LRX? Both of my 300 WBY's love that bullet. I've had good success with the 200gr partition on elk in the 06 and 300wm, so that is probably what I'd use. I found that bullet generally shoots very well and also penetrates better than the 180 partition.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by buffybr

Good info. Have you tried the 175 LRX? Both of my 300 WBY's love that bullet. I've had good success with the 200gr partition on elk in the 06 and 300wm, so that is probably what I'd use. I found that bullet generally shoots very well and also penetrates better than the 180 partition.

According to the pic of the ttsx there’s pleanty of frontal area. I’d say dead center of the elk’s chest would have been better or waited regardless. You fellas out west have a lot more opportunities for a good shot.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Good information here, thanks for it all, bottom line is you can’t go wrong with good bullets like partitions or x bullets, the cup and cores will cause more damage most every time.

Fück Joe byron
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good information here, thanks for it all, bottom line is you can’t go wrong with good bullets like partitions or x bullets, the cup and cores will cause more damage most every time.

So untrue….. and Unless you eat boiler room innards who cares how much damage they do.

Last edited by anothergun; 12/13/23.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

So untrue….. and Unless you eat boiler room innards who cares how much damage they do.

People who don’t won’t a bunch of bloodshot meat.

Fück Joe byron
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any expanding bullet, combined with high velocity can ruin a lot of meat.

To my mind, the Weatherbys will always be Trophy hunting tools. If you want a Meat gun, get a boring, dull, uninteresting but accurate 308, load it with tough, heavy-ish bullets and go forth and fill a reefer truck.

But if it was only about groceries, you could sell the Weatherby and stock up on hamburger.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

To my mind, the Weatherbys will always be Trophy hunting tools. If you want a Meat gun, get a boring, dull, uninteresting but accurate 308, load it with tough, heavy-ish bullets and go forth and fill a reefer truck.

But if it was only about groceries, you could sell the Weatherby and stock up on hamburger.
True. Or if you want to eat "right up to the hole" use a 45-70 or a 30-30.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

30-30 does more damage than many, I’m not worried too much, just want to stay with good bullets that’s all.

Fück Joe byron
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

30-30 does more damage than many, I’m not worried too much, just want to stay with good bullets that’s all.

plenty out there

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 300 Weatherby:
300 W-by Remington, 700 Classic, 200 Grain Nosler Partition, 215 primers, 78.2 grains RE 26,
0.66 MOA, .71 MOA, .71 MOA 3 each 5 shots groups at 100 meters

I have a 300 Win that I like also, it's ugly (scratches, worn bluing etc.):

300 Win, Remington 700 ADL, 220 grain Nosler Partition, 9 1/2M, 71 grains H4831, 0.41 MOA (I found five loads with partitions, Remington SPCL, and Sierra that shot consistently under 1 MOA with the 300 Win.)

My other 300 Magnum is nice, but so far, I have not found a load as accurate, best load so far:

300 H&H Winchester Pre-64 70, 165 grain Nosler PT, 215 Primer, 70 grains H4350, 1.12 MOA

I used to shoot 338 WIN Mag's quite a bit and had two 70's (one push and one controlled) and two 700's in 338. I sold them when I got the 300 Weatherby.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,176
Posts18,484,670
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.