Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Rock Chuck,

So, do you pick a high spot and work the bino's and spotter?

Rough but pretty country for certain.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It wasn't much better in October. I had a Bull tag in 49. We saw 5 bulls on opening day, thought it was going to be good and I could hold out for a big one........uh nope. The elk were GONE after the opener. I hunted (hard) 11 of the 16 days the season was open and after opening day only saw 2 more bulls. Ended up shooting this weirdo on the next to the last day of the season.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I did see a few cows, if you are in 49 PM me and I'll tell you where they were.

On another note, we caught a poacher. SOB shot and left a 5 point bull and the party he was with shot an extra cow and left it to rot also.

Last edited by centershot; 11/17/23.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This is the kind of stuff they're hiding in. They'll be out when the snow pushes them out.
Even the young bucks hesitate to just thrash around out there looking for them. There are hundreds of square miles of this for them to hide in.

That's some nice looking area. Bet it's got some good bird hunting. I need to explore the more open areas of the state

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for the update, best of luck .

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Will be more elk next year.

Don't gobble at me
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just got home from a 3 day hunt in a different area. We did see 9 cows....at 600 yds and on posted private land. We talked to a couple people who'd seen a few but the herds aren't there yet. We watched these 9 move from shadow to shadow. It's way too warm and they're staying out of the sun.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nice looking terrain there,also looks like it would be a tough pack out.

Good luck

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We are having the same troubles.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We're taking off for a T-day trip so this morning was my last day of elk hunting for this year. We had a good rain overnight but it was still too warm for the season, no snow up high. The big problem was a 40-50 mph wind all day. I couldn't possibly hold on sight for a shot if I'd seen one.
Oh, well, after our trip I still have time for a few days of antelope hunting.

― George Orwell

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by centershot
It wasn't much better in October. I had a Bull tag in 49. We saw 5 bulls on opening day, thought it was going to be good and I could hold out for a big one........uh nope. The elk were GONE after the opener. I hunted (hard) 11 of the 16 days the season was open and after opening day only saw 2 more bulls. Ended up shooting this weirdo on the next to the last day of the season.

I did see a few cows, if you are in 49 PM me and I'll tell you where they were.

On another note, we caught a poacher. SOB shot and left a 5 point bull and the party he was with shot an extra cow and left it to rot also.

Bull looks like a goodie to me, any time, any place.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Same problem this year in Lemhi Zone, due to work training I was stuck in Boise the first full week, I only got to hunt 4 days. We did get some snow towards the end I followed some fresh tracks one day for 4 miles, never getting close enough to shoot, I saw them twice but they were in heavy timber and on the move. Closest I got was probably 200 yards, too far for me with a flintlock and no good shot through the timber anyway.
Last day of the season I found some elk WAY up high, after working my way closer I was able to determine it was a bachelor group of bulls, cool to watch but no good to me this time of year. Could have killed a moose easy that day if I had a tag. I spent the rest of the day chasing a lion on foot never able to get a shot at him either. I surprised him right off the side of a road, just caught the face peeking out at me from behind a big Doug fir about 15 ft away. I stopped the SxS and drew my .44 waiting for him to peek out again but he took off. He just kept running and never wanted to tree. I was hoping if I couldn't kill an elk I might at least be able to save a few for next year. A nice big tom rug and some sweet meat wouldn't have hurt my feelings either. I'll go back with a rifle and try to call him. Deer season was rough too, highs into 70's and only saw one decent 4x4 all season, managed to get my wife a good meat deer. I'm all in on a MT elk B tag in Feb now or I'm skunked for big game this year, never happened to me before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Water and forage everywhere, and weather is yet to force movement. Also, elk are great at figuring out where they might be safe. Tough seasons for most here in SE Oregon as well.

Hope your luck changes,

Last edited by 1minute; 12/14/23.

1Minute
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I loved hunting in Idaho but after I moved they changed the system for non residents, and there is little or no chance of drawing a tag. I primarily hunt Wyoming and Oregon now.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OTC tags in Idaho are very difficult to get. They had to do something, though. The non-res demand was getting too high. There were more hunters wanting tags than there are animals to hunt. If it wasn't for the huge number of non-res hunters wanting tags, they wouldn't have had to adopt radical means to sell them.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,204
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.