Print Thread
Hop To
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have a forty year old Zastava Mark X in .270 Win. This is my rough use gun. The stock has warped and touches at the tip of the stock. Are there any solutions other than a new stock?

Last edited by roanmtn; 12/14/23. Reason: Diction and spelling

Glenn Campbell
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roanmtn
I have a forty year old Zastava Mark X in .270 Win. This is my rough use gun. The stock has warped and touches at the tip of the stock. Are there any solutions other than a new stock?
Open up the bbl channel to free float and seal it up well. It might be ugly, but it's already your "rough use" gun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
x2

i notice that most manufacturers never seal the barrel channel and the action channel. i'll use 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane OIL to the channels and then i'll put everything on.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Ok. I will try that. New stocks are expensive nowadays. Thanks.

Glenn Campbell
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Here's an option.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roanmtn

I'd hog out the wood, and fill it with epoxy, but allow for a nice freefloat. This will hep to minimize future stock warpage. Use a good epoxy like Devcon 10110. Not the flexible schidt like accraglass.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd simply sand it out. I don't think 40 thousands is enough. That's not a lot of room. When I float a barrel, all mine are floated, I don't test with a dollar bill. I use three sheets of typing paper, gives me more clearance and still doesn't look bad! Really doesn't make a difference how much you relieve the barrel channel, it's relieved and the barrel doesn't touch. Clearance is simply for looks. The only difference between 40 thousands and 1/16th inch is that at 40 thousands the stock warping and touching the barrel is much more likely! My Mossberg Patriot's have a lot of relief but you have to look for it to notice it, they shoot well!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a similar problem years ago. A beautiful walnut stock with a blond stripe in the middle. I'd get the gun to shoot after floating the barrel, the wood would move and back to square one. My gunsmith went to a seminar given by one of the top rifle builders who also said the gun would never shoot with that stock.

What I did was to strip the stock to bare wood. I fitted the stock again with clearance to float the barrel. I put the stripped stock in a hot attic in the summer for 6 weeks to insure all moisture was evacuated, after which I sealed it in a 50-50 mix of lacquer and white gasoline letting it soak for a couple of days, again in the summer. After it dried I refinished the stock and reassembled. Stock has not moved since and the rifle was shot by my wife in a 'hunting rifle bench rest meet' at my club, which she won by a mile. The gun still shoots sub half inch groups all day long.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Minwax makes a product called "Wood Hardener." It uses a catalyst solvent to deposit resin into the wood fibers. I used it on an old walnut stock that had soft spots where the receiver beds. I applied two part epoxy afterward where it was needed for repairs.

Seems like worked pretty well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

You can open the channel and also do a bedding job but the wood stock itself would benefit tremendously from the pine tar treatment. It can be applied via torch or electric heat gun but heat is the key on application. This is why egyptian and viking ships have withstood the ages and we have them to look at and observe today.

This is the treatment I use on a Ruger Hawkeye and my Mauser 98 and M1917 bush rifles and the Marlin 1895.

Relieve the barrel channel first and then treat the stock before any epoxy bedding. This makes it impervious to weather.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Like many folks, I prefer walnut stocks. I had one stock on a tang ruger full length bedded for hunting in Alaska. Poi never moved in 3 years of hunting. These days I free float the barrels, over a 4 day period I paint the wood in both the action and the barrel with 3 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane. Haven't had a point shift in many years. Many ways to seal a stock.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.