Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Might be trading for a red pad xtr featherweight in 7x57, haven't found out what year made yet. Looks to be in good condition with a leupold m8 6x36 scope. Trying to figure out a value on this.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mideer3006
Might be trading for a red pad xtr featherweight in 7x57, haven't found out what year made yet. Looks to be in good condition with a leupold m8 6x36 scope. Trying to figure out a value on this.

It's going to sound funny, but a lot depends on the grain of the stock. Some of them had really nice stocks, and those particular ones sell for much more than a plain looking one. Does it have iron sights? Is it even an "XTR"? It also matters when it was made: WRA or USRAC... If you know those things, you can go to gunbroker and check completed sales. I'd need to know some of those things to even give you a ball park value.

For example, if it is in excellent condition, it could be worth $1,000.00-$1,600.00. The top dollar example would be one in like new condition (LNIB) with hang tags and original box.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Right on, BSA...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The XTR Featherweight was made in 1981-82 era as Winchester & USRA were engaged in their "Change of Command' process. Mine, below was USRA and perhaps the Winchester is a 'click or so' more collectible. I bought it NOS in the box. I wasn't into Push Feed actions and its my only one of the USRA era, yet captivated by the first reintro of the Model 70 in 7x57 since 'cataloged' in pre WWII. I haven't seen many of these, and no recollection of with stocks to write home about.
Just my take!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R90-2x.jpg (27.63 KB, 232 downloads)
R90-14x.jpg (32.63 KB, 233 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 12/14/23.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
It was made in 1982, nice looking stock.
Looking at trading a Marlin .444 for it.
Are there any after market syn stocks
reasonable priced available for it ?

Last edited by Mideer3006; 12/15/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

My boy has this same rifle and you couldn't pry it from his hands for good reason. It has been an excellent shooting rifle and he shoots it real well. Thankfully I didn't have to give that kinda money for his whistle

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have a set of dies & new ppu brass for it.
Should go good with my Rem 700 7mm08.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For what it's worth I bought a Winchester Featherweight in 7 mm Mauser brand new on November 24th, 1982 for $357.00. Serial number G15752xx, along with a Leupold M8 4x for $125.00. The rifle is stamped U.S.R.A.C. on the recoil pad. It has been a very good combination and shoots just fine. It's not for sale. BCM

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

My boy has this same rifle and you couldn't pry it from his hands for good reason. It has been an excellent shooting rifle and he shoots it real well. Thankfully I didn't have to give that kinda money for his whistle

Yeah, I have a line on one (serial #155xxxx) and I'm not going to be paying half of what brad posted. If I even buy it. Like I said, that is on the high end of the scale. The OP still has not answered any questions. I'm assuming he needs to look at it a little better.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I'm hoping to look at it this weekend .

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
“Good “ condition can mean a lot of things. If condition is excellent to “near new”, then IMO, the rifle us worth $700-$900, depending on the quality of the wood. As mentioned above, wood varies a lot on these. Factory sights would probably add a bit more. The scope is probably worth $275, and the mounts and rings are worth something. If in weaker condition, then adjust accordingly.

FWIW, your 444 may have substantial value as well, depending on age and condition. Is it a good deal? Only you can say. If neither were yours and you were offered your choice for free, which would you take?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WMR
“Good “ condition can mean a lot of things. If condition is excellent to “near new”, then IMO, the rifle us worth $700-$900, depending on the quality of the wood. As mentioned above, wood varies a lot on these. Factory sights would probably add a bit more. The scope is probably worth $275, and the mounts and rings are worth something. If in weaker condition, then adjust accordingly.

FWIW, your 444 may have substantial value as well, depending on age and condition. Is it a good deal? Only you can say. If neither were yours and you were offered your choice for free, which would you take?

The XTR FWT 7x57 is worth more than your "$700-$900" estimate. Brad posted one in the upper end of the spectrum. Like I said in my first post, they bring $1,600.00 in like new condition with hangtags and box. These rifles chambered for this cartridge are fairly rare, and the XTR FWT's have a huge following. This is great when you want to re-sell it. You know you will never lose money, if you buy it right.

Hopefully the OP comes back and lets us know a little more about the rifle. I look forward to hearing more about it. The one I mentioned that I have a line on is located in Oregon. I will say that when I run across these XTR FWT's in person, they generally run from $700-$1,800.00. The $1,800.00 one was stocked in one of the nicest walnut stocks I've seen on a factory rifle. The price was over what I would expect to pay for a rifle, but the shop did end up selling it for the asking price.

BSA MAGA
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by WMR

The XTR FWT 7x57 is worth more than your "$700-$900" estimate. Brad posted one in the upper end of the spectrum. Like I said in my first post, they bring $1,600.00 in like new condition with hangtags and box. These rifles chambered for this cartridge are fairly rare, and the XTR FWT's have a huge following. This is great when you want to re-sell it. You know you will never lose money, if you buy it right.

Hopefully the OP comes back and lets us know a little more about the rifle. I look forward to hearing more about it. The one I mentioned that I have a line on is located in Oregon. I will say that when I run across these XTR FWT's in person, they generally run from $700-$1,800.00. The $1,800.00 one was stocked in one of the nicest walnut stocks I've seen on a factory rifle. The price was over what I would expect to pay for a rifle, but the shop did end up selling it for the asking price.

You may well be right. Nothing really surprises me these days, especially where rare guns are concerned. I don’t know if the one Brad linked sold or not, but that one is very exceptional.

Edited to add: FWIW, I just scanned the GB closed auctions. Used XTR FWT 7x57’s seemed to avg $800-1000. One new old stock in box brought $1695 from a well know seller. Of course tax, shipping and the GB 1% would be added to those prices.

Last edited by WMR; 12/17/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I gave 1200.00 for mine . That was a couple years ago. 1982 Redpad, no sights not a mark on it.Never shot. Better than average stock. Right now it wears Talley QD’s with a Burris fulfieldII 3x9. Shot sub moa with plain ol 140 PSPCL right off the get go. It’s NFS.
Hunted with it sat and it killed a fat doe easy peazy.
I’d post pics but just to much aggravation.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
So I met the person with the 7x57 and we ended up trading .Looking at prices on GB I figured they were
pretty close on value. I wanted something with less recoil and more range. It came with a older Leupold
M8 6x36 in weaver mounts, 2 partial boxes & 1 full box of ammo. I'm going to reload for it as I have dies
and brass. At some point I will probably put a syn. stock on so I won't damage the wood one. Will any long
action model 70 stock fit it ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There is a guy here (model70classic) that was selling some stocks for a great deal. He may have a good take off stock that will work for you. That way it will preserve the nice (assuming it's nice) wood stock. I bought one from him for my girlfriends short action model 70 classic and it was in excellent condition. A very good guy to deal with.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mideer3006
Will any long action model 70 stock fit it ?
Yes, and no. A post 64 long action stock will fit. But the barrel contour and fit to stock may show a large gap if you mount it in a stock for a sporter vs a featherweight. Then it becomes personal preference. Can you live with the large gaps on the side of a barrel channel? They won't hurt anything for sure but anything you put it in, you should properly bed the action to the stock for best accuracy results.

Last edited by Technoman26; 12/19/23. Reason: missing info

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.