Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve bought and sold several rifles that I regretted selling. The Winchester M70 .338 WM was not one of them. What a POS. Kicked like a rented Georgia mule and 3” groups about all it’d do. Good riddance.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
HR IC

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Keep the .338 Win Mag and start handloading for it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just me, but for what I do, a jump from .30 cal to the .375 H&H works. YMMV.

The old ‘06 is amazingly versatile. Not much it can’t do with the right ammo. Again, reloading changes the equation, changes the questions and the answers.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1024312697
Way cheaper than a new gun and it's not like you use a 338 for target practice.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mosinwolf762
I have a stainless savage 110 .338 win mag that I've had for a while that I like to use for black bear. Over the last 6 or 8 years ammo had gotten crazy expensive for it and just about impossible to find. I was thinking about selling it and buying a .375 Ruger (I know it's overkill for black bear, but so was the .338. It might also have future use as well if I can make it up to Alaska). Ammo has been consistently more available and even more economic for the .375 Ruger. What do you think, should I trade the .338 win mag in for a .375 Ruger,? If so, which would be the better buy, the Mossberg Patriot or the savage brush hunter? Thanks

I wouldn't. All ammo has gotten expensive and much is hard to find. Sounds like you're buying/shooting factory stuff and if so, take up reloading. If .375 Ruger does seem more available in your area, and if I were relying on factory ammo, I'd buy 500-1000 rounds before picking up the gun 'cause I don't think it is going to stay more available, you've hit an unusual situation you're interpreting as normal. That doesn't mean .338 Win Mag is going to get "common." If you're changing rifles, I'd look at something like .300 Win Mag or .300 PRC. The heavy .30 cal bullets are not much behind .338 for shorter range use. High sectional density helps a good bit.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You certainly want 1-7” in 223 and it doesn’t hurt in 243 Win either. Too bad they don’t chamber a 7” RPM Seex Kreed. Hint……..

6mm Creedmoor with 7-twist would be ideal for me. I'm really curious how good these new barrelled actions from Remarms are now though. New machines and processes in place. Might be good enough for nutless prefits is my hope.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ve bought and sold several rifles that I regretted selling. The Winchester M70 .338 WM was not one of them. What a POS. Kicked like a rented Georgia mule and 3” groups about all it’d do. Good riddance.

Wow, sorry that I missed an opportunity on that one…..would have loved to have another one around the house! The .338 WM ( especially in a Model 70) is as near perfect as an “all around- do it all cartridge” available in a factory loading that can be had!

My wife loves hers…. another would be a good “loaner rifle” for friends/relatives when they come over to do a little hunting! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/15/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just for gigglesnshits I went to cabelas USA and Canada websites to see what was available off the shelf for all the listed here, number of options available for each cartridge:

USA
308 - 63 choices
30-06 - 43
300wm - 16
338wm - 0
375r - 0
375hh - 2

Canada
308 - 27
30-06 - 22
300wm - 17
Zero for the rest

I like flintlocke's suggestion with that new 30-06 whatever that is suggestion lol and also Calvin said 300wm if it has to say magnum then that's a solid horse too. My last two rigs bought are 308 but I only hunt Alberta, which I just hunted exclusively with a 6.5 Grendel for 6 years with so not sure what that means but maybe less is more? Good luck with your choice, do what turns you on.

Side note, both countries carried 10 each for 7 rem mag, USA carried 10 options for 7-08 and Canada 5 options.

I do this periodically to see how they all look compared to each other, have seen the 308 as high as 75 options on USA cabelas and 30-06 46.

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 12/15/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The OP isn't wrong, it's easier to get .375 Ruger right now. There isn't a great selection of either.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
The OP isn't wrong, it's easier to get .375 Ruger right now. There isn't a great selection of either.

I've never bought a box of 338wm ammo. Those prices are horrifying and shocking!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by WAM

Wow, sorry that I missed an opportunity on that one…..would have loved to have another one around the house! The .338 WM ( especially in a Model 70) is as near perfect as an “all around- do it all cartridge” available in a factory loading that can be had!

My wife loves hers…. another would be a good “loaner rifle” for friends/relatives when they come over to do a little hunting! memtb

Maybe WAM doesn't know how to shoot a big magnum?? I know your wife does well with hers. I've never found them all too hard to shoot.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I can't remember ever having a poor shooting 338wm either. Even the Ruger model 77 mkII's have shot lights out. And, honestly, if ammo is that damn expensive, the OP better learn how to load his own.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep BSA, a blend of proper shooting technique and desire. Of course a high quality recoil pad is pretty darn beneficial in reducing felt recoil! Plus, you don’t pretend it’s a .223 Rem., and go shoot a few hundred rounds over a Prairie Dog town! 😉

I am constantly amazed at how many people do not reload/handload! I can’t even get my grandkids interested!

I started at 14 or 15 with absolutely no one to help me……if I wanted to shoot anything other than a 22 RF, I knew that I had to handload!

By the way…….that’s a darn respectable group! 👍 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/15/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cost and availability of that ammo would just about drive a non-reloader into the reloader camp. Pretty strong incentive.

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
for a box of shells a year? I guess it's a sliding scale of how much cf do you wanna shoot, if he's just a regular freezer filler with an AK approved cartridge then reloading will never make sense but ditching a rifle he can't get ammo off the shelf for reliably would...that's what I'm sensing from the op

300wm or 30-06 would be logical choice for that imo but even 308 for 0-500 yard freezer filling and defend yourself is good 3rd option, 7 rem mag would do it all well also and should be able to feed that for a long time too, that would round out his top 4 choices imo

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 338 Win Mag that got a lot of use when I was younger. I find it to still be the best of the medium bores for anything. Handloading exposes the true capabilities of the 338 Win Mag. The 338 Win Mag throws 160 gr loads at 3,300 fps up to 275 gr loads at 2,600 fps with 180s, 200s, 210s, 225s, 230s and 250s in between and a few 300 grain bullets as well. It is another chamber that balances well for power, versatility, rifle weight and manageable recoil. The 338 Win Mag is one of those chambers that can do just about anything you wish to do in the field anywhere on the globe. Plenty of deer sized game have been taken as well as several cape buffalo with the 338 Win Mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree. The .338 Win. Mag. can be loaded down to .30-30 levels, or maxed out to hunt anything you choose. I'll never get rid of mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by WAM

Maybe WAM doesn't know how to shoot a big magnum?? I know your wife does well with hers. I've never found them all too hard to shoot.

I can't remember ever having a poor shooting 338wm either. Even the Ruger model 77 mkII's have shot lights out. And, honestly, if ammo is that damn expensive, the OP better learn how to load his own.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by WAM

I found that my model 70 loves H4350 too. And with some bullets, Accurate 3100 will surprise you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
for a box of shells a year? I guess it's a sliding scale of how much cf do you wanna shoot, if he's just a regular freezer filler with an AK approved cartridge then reloading will never make sense but ditching a rifle he can't get ammo off the shelf for reliably would...that's what I'm sensing from the op

300wm or 30-06 would be logical choice for that imo but even 308 for 0-500 yard freezer filling and defend yourself is good 3rd option, 7 rem mag would do it all well also and should be able to feed that for a long time too, that would round out his top 4 choices imo

There will come a time, likely in your lifetime, that ammunition will become totally unavailable or illegal to possess! A few days of watching news other than that from the alphabet networks should make that perfectly clear! Having a good supply of ammunition isn’t just about hunting! memtb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you do reload, consider a 30 cal or a 7mm or even a 270. The bullets are available, even in most small gun shops.

I’ve had 338’s and I like the caliber. I have or had a few 375’s, just not a Ruger. I’ll likely never need the bigger cartridge rifles I own, but I guess that’s not the point.

If you’re going to keep with factory ammo and if you're recoil shy I think you’ll find the 375 to give you quite a bit more kick. I’m at the age where shooting something with less kick seems like the thing to do. Consider a 300 Win Mag for factory ammo if you need the power. But like others have stated, a 30-06 is a most versatile cartridge. Ammo can be found most anywhere and it’s inexpensive.

(I have not shot factory ammo at animals other than my 17 Hornet and 22 rimfires.)

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote

There will come a time, likely in your lifetime, that ammunition will become totally unavailable or illegal to possess! A few days of watching news other than that from the alphabet networks should make that perfectly clear! Having a good supply of ammunition isn’t just about hunting! memtb
Good point. Hoard powder, primers and bullets until you have a lifetime of options. Roll’em as you need. Options are about infinite.

DF

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (14idaho, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.