Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Has anyone seen or brought one yet? Thoughts? Just wondering if they are decent etc.

HR IC

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I just haven’t decided if I’m going to go with the 243 or the 223. I haven’t seen one to hold yet, but there are plenty online.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here's first impressions link from another camper:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18970911/1

I was virtually decided on the Alpha1 in 7RM (not available until 1Q2024) but, after a bit more consideration, will probably go Sendero route. It's only available in 7RM and 300WSM, so that may not interest you.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm the "other camper" kappa8 mentioned above. I am very pleased with my Alpha 1 in .308. It's accurate, it's well fitted and finished. It pains me to say this, but the bolt slides back and forth as smoothly as does the bolt on my Sako 85. It's very much the rugged, utilitarian rifle I was looking for. Ive killed a couple of deer with it so far, maybe one more before the season is through here. I'm looking forward to refining a load for it and, at this point, am planning to take it as primary on one of my (anticipated) trips next year and back-up on another.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
H
Nice. Is the factory rail 0moa or 20? I’ve seen conflicting information. Have you had the action out of the stock? If so, was there any factory epoxy bedding work? Thanks.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Everytime I see a pic of the Alpha I think about the Barret Fieldcraft. Now before I get tar & feathered, I'm not saying it could be as good or whatever. But think of a lot of coincidences.

- Isn't the stock the same?
- The bolt handle not traditional 700
- Timney trigger
- About the same street price as the FC before their closeout prices.
- Not as light as the FC, but stock, barrel contour, plus fluting has it leaning in that direction.
- Modern barrel twist rates
- Extended magazine length for the short action.
Really wondering about the chamber throats as that, the twist & ext. mag length coupled were a big part of the love for the FC.

Coincidences ?

Last edited by gunzo; 12/23/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunzo
Everytime I see a pic of the Alpha I think about the Barret Fieldcraft. Now before I get tar & feathered, I'm not saying it could be as good or whatever. But think of a lot of coincidences.

- Timney trigger
- Not as light as the FC, but stock, barrel contour, plus fluting has it leaning in that direction.
Really wondering about the chamber throats as that, the twist & ext. mag length coupled were a big part of the love for the FC.

Coincidences ?

They’re about two pounds heavier and barrels too long . Fail!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The FC had 21 & 18 but the Alpha just 22, so not far off. But forgot the Alpha's weight & had to look. Yep, fail on that. WTH is going on? Must be a meaty contour, I can't really tell.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Alpha 1 's look good, but for a hunting rifle, a bit too heavy for me.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
To boost my memory. I weighed a 700 short action today.

A standard 700, 243 in a B&C Alaskan BDL. 4-12 Varix II in Talleys. 7# 7oz. The Alphas weight does seem to be in an odd place. Hell, I've been eying the long action long range with a 26" bull barrel & they advertise it 8.5 which should be close considering my other heavy 700's.

Maybe the 7.5# Alpha is a mistake. Ruger used to be notorious about that, rifles w/2-3 barrel lengths & a dozen different calibers all listed as the same weight.

Oh well, not on my wish list anyway. Just curious.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by hinesf4i
Nice. Is the factory rail 0moa or 20? I’ve seen conflicting information. Have you had the action out of the stock? If so, was there any factory epoxy bedding work? Thanks.

Not being a long range guy, I never paid much mind to the rail. Looking at it, it looks pretty much like 0moa. A quick email to Remington will probably get a response. When I sent them one asking for clarification on the barrel steel (it is stainless) they got back to me in minutes.

It's pillar bedded and appears to be slightly relieved (maybe .005" or so) completely under the action area so (I assume) none of the action is touching except right on the top of the pillars which also appear to have a very thin skim coat of epoxy or something.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gunzo

- Timney trigger

Coincidences ?

I handled one in a local gun shop a couple months back. Both the Alpha 1 and Fieldcraft are bolt-actions and use Timney triggers and that's about where the similarities end.

The Alpha 1 feels as though it's been inletted into the narrow end of a 2x4. There's too much "meat" everywhere from the stock, to the action, to the barrel. It's a pig with displeasing ergos in my hands. I could've forgiven the heavier than necessary bbl taper and would've been much more likely to purchase one had they copied the lines of a mountain-rifle or KS pattern stock.

Last edited by horse1; 12/25/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (280shooter, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 39 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.