Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That powder choice makes sense .

That's good on pressures. Years ago, after an unwilling experimentation, I studied the load manual's pressures. Hmm, that powder behaves itself, that powder can get squirrelly at the top. It's maximum pressure is lower than other powders for that cartridge, that is a bit of a warning. I now pay close attention to the pressures in the manuals.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 12/06/23. Reason: missing word

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
That powder choice makes sense .

That's good on pressures. Years ago, after an unwilling experimentation, I studied the load manual's pressures. Hmm, that powder behaves itself, that powder can get squirrelly at the top. It's maximum pressure is lower than other powders for that cartridge, that is a bit of a warning. I now pay close attention to the pressures in the manuals.

I now pay close attention to the pressures in the manuals.[/quote]

I wish everyone would do this . shocked shocked shocked

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I now pay close attention to the pressures in the manuals.

I wish everyone would do this . shocked shocked shocked

But most don't. Many start with the max load right away. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are some errors in manuals though. One of my manuals had 35 Remington and 358 Winchester loads exchanged.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It has been said here by many in the past...but I will repeat, we will rue the day the Hodgdon giant began cannabalizing the competition and sourcing powders all over the world. And when a giant like Hodgdon derives the big money from .gov...they will do whatever is required to keep those big contracts coming. I'm not saying conspiracy...I'm saying we have plenty of historical fact to support the fact that .gov suborns big corporations for political ends. Mandatory mileage and emissions, healthcare, media, carbon extortion, energy production...the track record of .gov is undeniable.
What can we do? Buy brand X from the little manufacturer whenever feasible...and hope the big H doesn't go corporate raider mode?
Whether we want to acknowledge it or not...reloading components are by extension, married to the second amendment. Can't happen here? Russian import shooting supplies were banned by the stroke of a pen. To punish the Russians...or to restrict supply to US citizens? Your choice.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hodgdon is close to becoming a monopoly. Too close.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by TRexF16
First the Endurons got killed, and now Magnum? Bummer.
Magnum is fantastic in my 257 Roberts with the 115 Partition. At least I have enough to last my life.

Here's the LINK

Comparing to earlier chart it does look like "Grand" sits exactly where Magnum used to.

Cheers,
Rex

Same here I’ve got close to 20#s.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As far as I can determine so far, Magnum has not been discontinued.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Forecast bad things as Hodgdons bought everything up.

Was pounded on by naive fan boys.

Didn't have to be Nostradamus to see one company absorbing almost every competing supplier of multiple competing product lines as very bad.
Products were certainly going to be eliminated,
and prices would surely drop.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If this kind of “monopoly” were to happen in virtually any other industry the government would be interceding under anti-trust laws. 🙄

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I didn’t see any info on Grand in the Ramshot or Hodgdon sites?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
So far I've only seen Grand data in the Hodgdon 2024 Annual Manual--which just came out. They might want to sell some of those before offering free data on the Internet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
FYI Gun Gack IV is still on sale, as are all my game cookbooks, $4-6 off. I know it's late, but with Cubic Priority through Pirateship, it's only a few dollars more to get those packages delivered in time for Christmas. (Just mailed 2 books yesterday to Oregon, for $2.50 extra, and USPS said they would be there Saturday, December 16. For two books, east of the Mississippi will cost another $7. FYI: We normally include shipping in the price, but that's media mail.)
The links are below: cookbooks, then Gun Gack IV: The Little Book of Rifle Loads that Work
Eileen (Mrs. Mule Deer)

https://www.riflesandrecipes.com/product-category/books/wild-game-cookbooks/

https://www.riflesandrecipes.com/product/gun-gack-iv-the-little-book-of-rifle-loads-that-work/

Last edited by Leenie3freezers; 12/13/23.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Partagas
Sounds like boomer reloader's are resistant to change, lol.

This exactly the reason, but not just any particular age group. Just look at any thread on the fire about powders, you'll see a dozen "I've been using imr4350 for 50 years and I'm not changing now!". Handloaders get so stuck with 1 formula (bullet+case+powder+primer) that they'll go buy factory ammo or use a different gun instead of *gasp* trying something new. Newer loaders will say "I was told to use this or don't even try". I work in the retail side of the industry and I hear these things on a daily basis.

Personally I love loading and experimenting. You never know what you might discover if you only stick to 1 or 2 powders for everything. Especially if they're old standards because, guess what, shortages WILL happen again. Your favorite powder WILL become unavailable again. So either you suck it and foot the increased bill to but a lifetime supply when you can or you adapt.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter

This exactly the reason, but not just any particular age group. Just look at any thread on the fire about powders, you'll see a dozen "I've been using imr4350 for 50 years and I'm not changing now!". Handloaders get so stuck with 1 formula (bullet+case+powder+primer) that they'll go buy factory ammo or use a different gun instead of *gasp* trying something new. Newer loaders will say "I was told to use this or don't even try". I work in the retail side of the industry and I hear these things on a daily basis.

Personally I love loading and experimenting. You never know what you might discover if you only stick to 1 or 2 powders for everything. Especially if they're old standards because, guess what, shortages WILL happen again. Your favorite powder WILL become unavailable again. So either you suck it and foot the increased bill to but a lifetime supply when you can or you adapt.

Agree 100% on this. I like having options, especially in an era where things can get scarce or discontinued at the blink of an eye. I always try to work up loads with a few different powder/bullet combinations for any new rifle I pick up.

I hate the physical process itself, but I'm a load fiddler by nature... it's a bit of a contadiction 🤷‍♂️ I'm always monkeying around with stuff just to see what I can get it to do with new loads, even if I've already got proven shooters for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So far I've only seen Grand data in the Hodgdon 2024 Annual Manual--which just came out. They might want to sell some of those before offering free data on the Internet.

Someone knows how to make coin the publishing biz grin

Why buy the cow (book) when you can get the milk (data) for free?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When I find something that works I stay with it. The LGS has a bunch of powders I've never heard of and haven't seen in my reloading manuals most of which I feel are redundant from year to year. Guess I'll have to buy the new Nosler and Hornady manuals to decipher what new and improved powders to buy.
Color me Crumudgedon I don't like change. If it works don't try to fix it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by zcm82

Agree 100% on this. I like having options, especially in an era where things can get scarce or discontinued at the blink of an eye. I always try to work up loads with a few different powder/bullet combinations for any new rifle I pick up.

I hate the physical process itself, but I'm a load fiddler by nature... it's a bit of a contadiction 🤷‍♂️ I'm always monkeying around with stuff just to see what I can get it to do with new loads, even if I've already got proven shooters for it.

And I've evolved to the opposite.
From picking a "perfect" powder for every gun, to trying to consolidate
on a few that do well in many applications.

I really don't need a powder to maximize the 22-250, 243, Swede, 264, 7mag, 308, 30-06, 300win. Two, maybe 3 will do darn fine in all of them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M

I really don't need a powder to maximize the 22-250, 243, Swede, 264, 7mag, 308, 30-06, 300win. Two, maybe 3 will do darn fine in all of them.

This is me. If it’s one thing I’ve learned in these shortages, consolidate!

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z

I don't have a bazillion powders, but I do like to pick up something new to try once in a while. I have a handful that work well across most of my cartridges and have gotten myself well stocked on those.

I did do that with primers... consolidated down to 1 or 2 for each type, and traded off the others for more of the ones I'm using.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was just glancing at it, and much to my great horror , Ramshot Magnum isn't listed. Instead it has Ramshot Grand and LRT ( ? ) . What Happened ? Magnum is my go-to powder for my 264WM !

I spoke with someone at Hodgdon today and they told me they are NOT discontinuing Magnum powder production. Grand is essentially the same burn rate, “more” temp stable, and has an agent to reduce copper fouling.

He said we should see more Magnum available some time after New Year.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,388
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.