Print Thread
Hop To
G
Griffon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Quite a few years ago I inherited a 1873 Winchester that is stamped 1 of 1000 on top of the barrel. I have a letter that my grandfather wrote to Winchester in 1963 inquiring about the rifle and Winchester’s reply that the rifle left the factory with a plain trigger and that there is no indication the rifle was marked at the factory as a 1 of 1000 gun. The letter indicates 1 of 1000 rifles were made with set triggers and “extra finish”.
It’s getting to be close to the time to consider “reducing the herd “ and neither my kids nor grandkids have much interest. I’m curious what opinions there might be about how this counterfeit stamp might affect the value.
Paul

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The 1 of 1000’s were engraved not stamped
Pics would be helpful

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Is there anything on the bottom. Of the barrel under the forearm?

Hal

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Griffon,
This is a suggestion that might help you or not as you might have already done so. Google "Winchester 1 of 1000 pics". It's pretty obvious the difference between an original and the ones that we're faked! IMO! Even the trim at the end of the barrel band was platinum in most cases which has a duller appearance than the replicated gold look. Even the Turnbull restorations are great examples of the original models. IMO! In 1950 Steve Hannagan of N.Y. did a report on these Rifles that's pretty interesting. In "The Hannagan Report" he talked about such Fakery involving these highly sought after Rifles that Winchester claimed to shoot better than most in their production whether a model 1873 or 1876, and a "one of 100" or a "1 of 1000". In 2009 Edmund E. Lewis MD. came out with a very detailed book that has a large amount of the most up to date information on these Rifles. Like was posted by Pocanojack Pics. would be help full, besides, we'd all like to see it! I'm also wondering what the Serial number is? If you want you can PM me and I'll look in the serial records I have for the known ones and verify in case you don't want to put it out there.(understandable)

Originally Posted by Poconojack
The 1 of 1000’s were engraved not stamped
Pics would be helpful
He's also correct on the engraving!

As far as your question on the counterfeit stamp and it affecting the value?
Well that's the Golden question naturally! Remember there's a buyer for everything and you just never know!
Without more info. and pics. I think that question is as big a mystery as possibly the Rifle!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Good question Paul. I believe that stamp query is really about how you want to handle the matter.
Legally in most circumstances "Res Ipsa Loquitur" Latin for... "The Thing speaks for itself. No "duty of disclosure" so long as no "hidden danger of which you were aware". Or manner in which you act to present 'an issue' suggestive of "intent to deceive".

"Ethics" generally sets a higher standard, than mere legal obligations. Ethics, more of honor & the "Golden Rule... Do unto others...". Seems to me that if you sell that rifle, the "ethical" course would be "disclosure prior to sale". Disclosure of approximately the information you provided here in your above Post. Your conclusion of "fake", though quite likely correct, is your "opinion" construed from the letter evidence and perhaps your own experience. "Full and fair disclosure" does not typically require "opinions" unless you've put yourself in some sort of "obligatory Expert relationship" with prospective purchaser(s).

No legal advice intended nor to be taken. Jurisdictions differ and not possible to express "one rule fits all". Rather just to speak of general rules and propositions. I think what you're really asking is more about 'reasonable seller disclosure' behavior.

Good luck with your disposal activities. I'm 'there' too, just not 'ready'!

Best and Happy Holidays!
John

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
John,

I can absolutely agree with your post as I'm guessing the OP intentions are 100% honest intentions to include as much information on the said Rifle in his quest to sell. JMHO!

This is another good post to present to the WACA Forum as far as selling this as is in this condition foe what it is. IMO!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.