Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Before spending dime one on new sights shoot some groups to see if the gun has an accuracy potential in the first place..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Before spending dime one on new sights shoot some groups to see if the gun has an accuracy potential in the first place..mb

Like the idea, but not sure if the blade sights would give any legitimate insight into the rifle's potential. Tough to hold a decent group with those things no matter how the rifle shoots

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OXN939
Originally Posted by tmitch
Got another one for the lever gurus. Have an opportunity to come into ownership of a pretty cool looking Marlin 1893. Stock blade sights would be limiting for hunting use- are there tang mounted peeps I could install without having to drill and tap anything?

Yes, a Lyman # 1 or 2 tang sight with the letter code "J" (for .32-40 & .38-55) or "JA" stamp on the bottom. Also the Marbles M4 (for .32-40 & .38-55) or M5 marked tang sights. A bit hard to find at times but they show up on ebay now and then like this one. Lyman
Also Marbles offers modern made tang sights that will fit
]

That's a beautiful rifle! Thinking I'll probably go with the Marble sight for now... are you able to cycle the bolt fully with the peep in its upward position?

My rifle will cycle without contacting the sight staff in the up position. Mine's an early vintage Lyman so I can't comment on the Marbles. If you're thinking of a new made Marbles it might be worth a call.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Got another one for the lever gurus. Have an opportunity to come into ownership of a pretty cool looking Marlin 1893. Stock blade sights would be limiting for hunting use- are there tang mounted peeps I could install without having to drill and tap anything?

Yes, a Lyman # 1 or 2 tang sight with the letter code "J" (for .32-40 & .38-55) or "JA" stamp on the bottom. Also the Marbles M4 (for .32-40 & .38-55) or M5 marked tang sights. A bit hard to find at times but they show up on ebay now and then like this one. Lyman
Also Marbles offers modern made tang sights that will fit
]

That's a beautiful rifle! Thinking I'll probably go with the Marble sight for now... are you able to cycle the bolt fully with the peep in its upward position?

My rifle will cycle without contacting the sight staff in the up position. Mine's an early vintage Lyman so I can't comment on the Marbles. If you're thinking of a new made Marbles it might be worth a call.

Awesome, thanks so much for the info! I actually heard back from marbles and they said the sight would have to be folded down to cycle. So, I'll be on the lookout for one of those older Lymans

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's disappointing. What caliber is your 1893? I can keep an eye out for you.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That's disappointing. What caliber is your 1893? I can keep an eye out for you.
.30-30, smokeless stamped. Takedown model. Much appreciated!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another option is a tang sight from MVA. They list their Combination tang sight as being available for original 1883s. Not inexpensive but quality made.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an old (1886) '73 Winchester with a tang sight, I'm really not a fan. But I am a huge fan of receiver sights and as we age, aperture sights make more and more sense.

Drilling and tapping for them is not difficult and I did my 92 Rossi .44 Magnum very recently. I first put a cheap Williams (pictured) on it, but then found a Lyman 66 and swapped them out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I had my druthers, I'd mount one of the old Redfield's, but they're scarce and expensive.

To drill and tap all one needs is a drill press, a compound vise, the correct drill bit and tap, and patience.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (3dtestify, 2500HD, 325wsm1, 280ACKIMP, 007FJ, 1badf350, 15 invisible), 12,294 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,338
Posts18,546,276
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.