Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Other than Nixon and China... the glorious Right refuses to have it sink in that NAFTA was a Reagan and Bush project. One that benefitted the wealthy but devastated the middle class and blue-collar workers. One that offered little in the way of relocating and retraining workers. That, in conjunction with the '88 BRAC authorized military base closures devastated communities.

Phil

Why didn't Obama repeal it, and it was a Reagan dream HW Bush signed it in ?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Might be a good move for all the Jap made cars here in the US of A. And those on this board who buy the Jap cars and trucks.

Unless the vehicle is coming from Japan then the sheet metal is made here,mexico or Canada.

The truth of the matter is our Steel mills did it to themselves, they never modernized after WW II and the Japanese and other countries had to rebuild their steel industry from the ashes of war.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
The Brazilians have owned Arcelor Mittal for years. The US activity discourages US based mining companies. I was in MN looking at a couple of those operations. I’ve never seen a more backwards run place in my life. They had a half dozen shovels that cost something on the order of $600/hr loading only one truck per hour. It takes about two minutes to load those haul trucks. The rest of the time the shovels sat there idle with the operator reading his IPhone. A total of about 15 minutes of work per hour for those shovel operators. They were the very model of inefficiency. They don’t care either.
A-M is owned by Indians.
I worked on the MI iron range and I never saw trucks loaded in that matter. Also visited our mines in MN and never seen it there either. In both cases the trucks where lined up waiting for the shovels.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/19/23.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Owned by the japs this is bull$hit

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The failure of the U.S. steel industry their own fault... it was antiquated, and their profits were going into their pockets rather that investing in new technology. Post WW2 even with all the government subsidies they were unable to keep up with the competition. The entire refused to invest in its own infrastructure, they wanted the government to foot the bill. And when the government refused, the steel industry just kept digging themselves a deeper hole. Bad management was a big part of it, but it was also just plain greed. The big investors ran off with all the profits and left the companies to rot. And they did. Had nothing to do with mining. I helped tear down 3 of the west coast big mills. back in the 70's and 80's.

Phil

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never fear.

Slobberin' John is coming to the rescue

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Morewood
You can blame the US government for the evisceration of the middle class and the American dream of owning a home and raising a family to the outsourcing of our factories and production facilities to. Greed. Nixon fuc@ed up.

I've been in the construction industry, particularly steel/structural for over 40 years...

What The FV(K does Nixon have to do with the demise of the American steel industry???

After WWII that piece of $h!t Truman not only championed $100s of millions of dollars in war reparations, but personally sent W. Edwards Deming to Japan, where the rebuilding of their steel industry was founded on quality and process control...

And DON'T get me going on the European steel market..

All while our steel industry spiraled down the toilet...

Yet somehow this is the "Boomers" fault??? Fv(k me to everloving tears, and protect us from idiots...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When USS is delisted, will Elon pick up their stock symbol X for Tesla or Twitter if he decides to make it public again?

Last edited by tdbob; 12/19/23.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
The Brazilians have owned Arcelor Mittal for years. The US activity discourages US based mining companies. I was in MN looking at a couple of those operations. I’ve never seen a more backwards run place in my life. They had a half dozen shovels that cost something on the order of $600/hr loading only one truck per hour. It takes about two minutes to load those haul trucks. The rest of the time the shovels sat there idle with the operator reading his IPhone. A total of about 15 minutes of work per hour for those shovel operators. They were the very model of inefficiency. They don’t care either.

maybe something wrong at the mill?

or keeping the mine "operating" before a sale?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Journeyman
... After WWII that piece of $h!t Truman not only championed $100s of millions of dollars in war reparations, but personally sent W. Edwards Deming to Japan, ...

Do you have a citation for Truman "sending" Deming to Japan? Not trying to be a jerk. But, my meager knowledge of history, American companies did not want Deming's help. Japanese companies rebuilding after WWII were looking for all the help they could get. Deming went where he was wanted...

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Now.....if we could only sell off the US Congress..........!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

They have already been bought.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This is a pretty accurate case by the IMF of what happened to the U.S. steel industry.

Link

There's also a PDF version available.

Phil

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I’m sure the owners wouldn’t sell right now !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,809
Posts18,516,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.