Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I am looking to sell this as I have no need. It's a commercial FN mauser action of some sorts. Has turn down bolt is tapped and drilled and has a short throw safety but its on the left side. Barreled with a 3006 barrel off something else I think because it has front and rear sights. Barrel is shiny and in good shape inside. NO trigger guard or bottom metal. No stripper clip grove or thumb cut out so I know is a commercial made FN or FN pattern cock on open 98 action. What should I ask for it?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ktk120; 12/19/23.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Really depends on who made it. There should be some marking numbers etc somewhere. Proof marks as well. 98 actions vary a lot depending on the make/country of origin.

K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
The only thing on it anywhere is an X in front of XXXX digit numerical serial number. Nothing else that I can see on it. I was told the ones from spain and CZ usually have markings indicating they are from there so my assumption this is some sort of FN made contract rifle for import to US post WW2?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Does it have a thumb slot?

K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
No thumb slot and no stripper clip slot or hump

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bolt handle does not look correct for a commercial action. Military bolt in a Commercial action?

K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
That I do not know anything about but I am not aware of any military actions without thumb cut? Wouldnt it be commercial with that cut out on the bolt handle to clear the scope?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Show a pic of the other side. Also take the bolt out and show a pic of the bolt, a few angles, including the cocking piece, extractor, bolt face etc. Look into the receiver and see if it is a "C" ring or "H" ring. A "C"ring has one cut out for the right bolt lug and an "H" ring has cut outs on both sides for both bolt locking lugs.

ETA: It is worth at least $300; depending on the other factors it could be worth double that.

Last edited by sbrmike; 12/19/23.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The bolt shroud does look like a military unit as does the style of the safety. Really hard to say, sbrmike has explained a lot.

IC B3

K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
safety is a 2 position short throw like a timney I am thinking its not original but also if these were a commercial contract after WW2 it certainly could have been a commercial action and a military bolt. It appears to be a functioning 3006 in its configuration so im sure it headspaces fine. I need funds so I'm really just trying to make sure I don't cheat myself. I figured 300-400 but wanted to narrow it down to right price point to move it fast

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You got yourself a Santa Barbara action.

K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by z1r
You got yourself a Santa Barbara action.

What does that mean? Value?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A Santa Barbara is a Spanish made commercial action that is a close copy of the later FN. I would say $300 as it sits. It would still be $300 without the barrel if it had bottom metal and a decent trigger. A bit more if it had a nice steel hinged floor plate. It is a nice action for a budget build. There are quite a few guns that were factory made using the Santa Barbara - some Parker Hales, Golden State, etc. back in the 50's and early 60's. Many were later sold on the used market wrongly claiming it to be an FN action. You basically have a Ford and not a Cadillac (FN); the FN is just finer quality, fit, finish, materials.

I think that this has the complete striker assembly from an FN. I am not sure if the bolt is a commercial unit or a well done military conversion. Most if not all Santa Barbara Mausers had an alloy trigger similar in looks and function of a Timney with a sliding integral safety. It looks like yours has the standard, reliable "C" ring receiver. Later FN's used an "H" for ease of manufacturing.

I used to tinker a lot with Mausers back in the day. It has been a while though. I probably built at least 50 guns in my life from receivers or actions.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A few years ago, I bought an FN action with two position swing safety, Canjar trigger and a good bit of custom work, including checkered bolt handle, for $550 off Classifieds. It became the basis for this Swede with Shilen barrel, McWoody Classic stock.

I agree with other's posts on OP's action, as well as the value.

I had a Herter .270 barreled action with that action, stocked it and it turned out pretty well. My brother now has it. Those actions work well, just aren't as slick as the FN.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a Frankenmauser to me. The shroud looks to be FN commercial, but the bolt handle looks welded, and every FN I’ve owned, back to a 1948, has had a flat-bottomed knob. This one is kinda crude and rough-looking, and the bolt face is odd too. The number at the root of the bolt handle should match the one on the receiver. All my FNs, with the exception of a Sako High Power, had some kind of marking indicating Belgian origin. This one may have solid bones, but if I wanted one for a build I’d look for one without issues requiring smith work. Someone with skills, tools and parts can probably bring this one up to snuff, but I’ve found plenty for $600 or so that were complete rifles, ready to shoot or improve on.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
1954 FN (stamped under receiver) Apex rifle company 300 Apex stocked by Monty Kennedy. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i sent you a message

K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Thank you all for the information. Very much appreciated. I have received a few messages about selling it. If it doesn't sell to one of them I will list it when i get back from some holiday travel.

K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Looks like a Frankenmauser to me. The shroud looks to be FN commercial, but the bolt handle looks welded, and every FN I’ve owned, back to a 1948, has had a flat-bottomed knob. This one is kinda crude and rough-looking, and the bolt face is odd too. The number at the root of the bolt handle should match the one on the receiver. All my FNs, with the exception of a Sako High Power, had some kind of marking indicating Belgian origin. This one may have solid bones, but if I wanted one for a build I’d look for one without issues requiring smith work. Someone with skills, tools and parts can probably bring this one up to snuff, but I’ve found plenty for $600 or so that were complete rifles, ready to shoot or improve on.

What exactly needs smith work? It looks ready to to use for a project. Bolt handle is not a weld on and the serial on bolt handle does match the receiver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,178
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.