Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Reading a book on this aircraft and the amount of work involving just the coding is totally staggering! Total amount of coding for the entire aircraft was ten million lines; the engine alone required one million lines! That's 14x the volume of War & Peace! Ten million lines of coding would be a stack of paper 60' high!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 12/20/23.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
how effective would it be in a long war overseas in harsh changing weather conditions? lol

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think this is a classic case of overachievement.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
From what I hear problems with current upgrades might bring production to a halt until possibly June 24.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And a bucket of sand down the intake could probably shut it down. While computers are great, generating amazing amounts of progress and function, they make servicing in the field nearly an impossible nightmare. One stray spark around memory, and workings immediately cease. Airpower is indeed awesome with today's planes having more ability than the pilots. With today's weaponry, interactions and results occur with combatants having 50 to 100 miles of separation with the launch of a million $ rocket. One has not won a war, however, until boots are on the ground.

Be interesting to see reports on maintenance versus flight hours.

If ever sh-t really hits the fan, I'll most likely come to depend on my 1978 Landcruiser for transportation as opposed to my computer bearing Fords.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/20/23.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I talk with pilots who actually fly it in combat. Their opinions differ rather markedly from internet "experts".

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I talk with pilots who actually fly it in combat. Their opinions differ rather markedly from internet "experts".

+1. Those whose azzez are in the seats are huge fans of that aircraft.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Imagine that.
Hard to believe isn’t it.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They bet their lives on that plane, partsman. That trumps whatever opinion you might have.

I can hear the midday flights of F-35s taking off from Hill AFB as I type this.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe that bird is going nowhere. they are close to a dozen countries that have or have on order F 35’s. They have already been proven in combat, the Israelis have been very successful with them…

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greyghost
From what I hear problems with current upgrades might bring production to a halt until possibly June 24.

Phil

The Block IV upgrades are pretty extensive. DAS, EOTS, EW, Computer, and Radar plus more weapons internally.

I could see holding off on producing more Block III just to pay for an upgrade to the Block IV spec at a later date.

Incredible weapon system. Incredibly expensive on the whole but per jet it's now below F-15 or F-18.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A lot of the technology on that airplane is twenty or thirty years out of date. It is essentially obsolete already. Not, of course, in its capabilities, but in its modularity and upgrade ability. The next fighters will have update modules that are simply plugged in. Changing roles, capabilities, and raw performance will be as easy as plugging in a zip drive into your PC relatively speaking.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
They’re not all vertical take off aircraft.

The guys I know who have personal experience have said it’s magic and has capabilities that most folks can’t even fathom.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A very wise old man once told me "Something that's good for everything isn't worth a damn!" Carter was told years ago not to attempt a rescue of the hostages using the helicopters in the desert because the air filters were not capable of operating in desert environment! With this aircraft, and a version being assigned to carrier duty and the sea environment......it's going to be interesting!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
A lot of the technology on that airplane is twenty or thirty years out of date. It is essentially obsolete already. Not, of course, in its capabilities, but in its modularity and upgrade ability. The next fighters will have update modules that are simply plugged in. Changing roles, capabilities, and raw performance will be as easy as plugging in a zip drive into your PC relatively speaking.

What aircraft anywhere in the world has more current systems in "modularity and upgrade ability".

JSF is currently being updated to the new Block IV standard. Who/what does it better?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Israel wants over 300 of them!

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
10 million lines of code and it still cannot sustain MACH 1+ without ablading the stealth coating and causing structural damage. The most expensive weapons system in history and cannot meet basic performance and mission capable rates. Only 30% are fully mission capable.

New block airframes are being parked for the foreseeable future because they don’t have the software updates. Now they want another $6 billion (military speak for $50 billion) to repower the A/C.

Not sure how anyone can put a happy face on the F-35 program. But seems folks continue to try. The F-35 is a POS weapons system that will never live up to its promises. The Littoral Class of the skys.

Fortunately in a real shooting war they will be protected in their bunkers waiting for parts.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We have them at Williamtown AFB near where I live. When there is a NE wind I can hear them takeoff, from about 20miles away. They are fabulous to watch and amazing in their aerodynamic capability. And freaking loud!

Was a big joint exercise out of Darwin at beginning of year. Video of a Singapore F15SG pilot flying along and getting the surprise of his life when an F-35 comes alongside.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
They certainly wow at air shows. At least it's got that going for it.

A $1.7 trillion dollar airshow queen. Yeaaaa

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
10 million lines of code and it still cannot sustain MACH 1+ without ablading the stealth coating and causing structural damage. The most expensive weapons system in history and cannot meet basic performance and mission capable rates. Only 30% are fully mission capable.

New block airframes are being parked for the foreseeable future because they don’t have the software updates. Now they want another $6 billion (military speak for $50 billion) to repower the A/C.

Not sure how anyone can put a happy face on the F-35 program. But seems folks continue to try. The F-35 is a POS weapons system that will never live up to its promises. The Littoral Class of the skys.

Fortunately in a real shooting war they will be protected in their bunkers waiting for parts.

The Izzys have a sensible chuckle at this post.

Syria and Iran frown.

JSF has been flying real world mission for many years. It does require more mantinance than a F-86.

Flying through sophisticated ADA without a care in the world while Geolocating all the things and dropping bombs on bad guys takes a bit of preparation in todays battlespace.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 47 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,036
Posts18,520,993
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.