Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Getting out of MSP Somaliville Internat'l (no Superman) onto I 94 East is a piece of cake, normally. Done it several times, and saw our exit as we went by...then it turned into Keystone Cops!

I'm blaming Google Maps, and a hybrid van with CA plates that we rented to go see our son in Chippewa Falls.

Wife linked her iphone (latest) to the car, pulled up Google Maps, and the fun began. It had us going down side road after side-road, sometimes in opposite directions. Took us right by my recognized exit unto I94 E!

After 20 minutes of this crap, 2nd son pulled up something (maybe GM) on his Samsung, and 2 minutes later we were on I94 East. 5 miles later, wife's navigation was still trying to turn us around and/or get us off on side roads. WTF?

Musta been a GM glitch, or CA cars don't do fly-over country...

Couple days later her iphone GM was working properly again.

I generally like the "Navigation for Idiots" feature, cuz I are one. smile

Oh yeah- MN/WS have way too many roads. Alaska basically has one.

I can handle that! smile

Last edited by las; 12/20/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
buy a paper map.

Hint

grin

Have fun on your visit, google glitches and all

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Seldom does a winter go by out west that somebody who is a believer in google maps doesn't get in serious trouble or die. My son rescued a truck driver 2 winters ago, who had google steer him onto a private logging road, where he stuck the truck and then decided to walk back on his tracks. Two days in the hospital with hypothermia, exposure and frozen toes. No idea what the insurance company paid to have the truck retrieved...two days with a D-7 anyway. Google maps seems like pretty simple tech to me...what are we in for with AI?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm home. Survived another trip Outside! smile

I have to say tho, A Dachshund holding it for 20 hours or more is impressive. He is absolutely not going to be blamed for the smell at those "pet stations" in the airports! Or even outside (went thru security again!)

Everytime I went through TSA, I think of GAZA.

And smile. Fuggin Arabs!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you made it home

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GPS has never failed me. I do not, however, have any faith in the folks that draft electronic maps or code those systems. Given that most rural routes are traced from historic sources, digital versions frequently depict roads out here in the remote west that are long abandoned wagon trails.

One must keep his brain engaged with today's versions.

I can drive coast to coast on intuition alone. Solo navigating many of our city 6-lane cloverleafs and round abouts on a dark rainy night, however, is damned near impossible. I absolutely hate the right lane must turn right situations that force one off into some dead-end residential area. I've had sessions where I could see the destination but could not detect a logical means of getting there. Probably the reason I continue to live in the sticks where I can turn on the cruise control and not tap the brakes for over 100+ miles.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/21/23.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well put 1minute.

Folks that don't live rural might think a "County Rd" is maintained just because it comes up as such on their dashboard screen. in winter that's a very bad idea to believe in these parts, and in summer there are a number of them around here that are impassable by an average automobile.

In it is contentment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.