Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've never seen it here in the NC mountains, and I love to inspect old houses. It would be easy to build that way, and pretty well insulated.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I've never seen it here in the NC mountains, and I love to inspect old houses. It would be easy to build that way, and pretty well insulated.

Saw a new home circa 2001 built near Greensboro NC. Evidently the "builders framer " could not differentiate between an 8 ' and 9' high wall on the blueprints so he used built up 2x4s to go from 8 to 9 foot to cover his mistake . My dad would call that class of individual a shoemaker, Looked like crap but the Bldg Inspector passed it .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by wabigoon
They call it cribbing, old grain elevators were built that way.

You're only half right

Typical cribbing only requires every other board

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
And cribbing is temporary...

A 747 in Prudhoe Bay taxied off the runway apron. Cribbing to almost touch the wing then airbags to lift. Water and let freeze to build a ramp... out in no time...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by wabigoon
They call it cribbing, old grain elevators were built that way.

You're only half right

Typical cribbing only requires every other board

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
A crib will hold corn cobs. Grain? Not a chance. It will flow like fine sand. That will be empty in no time. It takes a strong solid wall to hold grain.

This is a grain elevator showing some of the x-bracing for strength

[Linked Image from twincities.com]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
tide,

cool stuff.

I searched but cannot find a picture of the construction method used in a house I rented a room in while attending school in NorCal. Old mill town, redwood was abundant and cheap. That house existed by 1904 or so as I saw it, and other mill worker housing , on historic pics at the local museum.

Wish i could find pics. I found out how it was built after 3 earthquakes above 5.0 hit in 24 hrs and cracked the doorframe. Landlady's insurance paid for the fix, dude came out and pulled out the door and frame. NO STUDS! as in zero, not for the door frame or anywhere in the original section of the house.

3 layers of 10 or 12 inch wide, 1 inch old growth redwood boards, run diagonally in opposite direction every layer. They just cut a hole where they wanted to put a window or door and nailed the frames into the butt ends of the cut.

Very active earthquake area and that method must have worked well as the house was standing some 90 years after it was built and the landlady had been there for decades and said that's the first damage since she'd been there.

Would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Repair guy said it was like that in the houses along that street and other mill towns from when lumber was cheap and available. Wish I'd have been smart enough to take pictures.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The elevators were built like a log cabin, no gaps.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There are quite a few line shacks and cabins out in central Nevada built on the same principle...only out of railroad ties, easy to heat, in many cases just a wood fired cook stove, short on windows though, either by design for heat retention or difficulty cutting ties. Nothing quite like a dirt saturated tie to ruin a sharp saw.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
There are quite a few line shacks and cabins out in central Nevada built on the same principle...only out of railroad ties, easy to heat, in many cases just a wood fired cook stove, short on windows though, either by design for heat retention or difficulty cutting ties. Nothing quite like a dirt saturated tie to ruin a sharp saw.
that stewing in creosote vapors probably killed off the crabs from the monthly visits to the bawdy houses in town too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
In 1972 the wife and I lived in Zig Zag, the neighbor behind our place was building a stack framed house, with 2x10 outside walls and stud framed inside walls. The builder worked at a mill and got all the outside wall trim wood free!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pretty cool. Can't say I've ever ran across a house or building like the OP posted.

Looks like rough cut lumber or as was done in the old days, a true 2x4. Wonder if it's something like chestnut or locust? Can't imagine most other woods would hold up untreated. Surely there is others, but those 2 hold up to the elements and chestnut would've been around yet in all likely hood when that old place was constructed.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Pretty cool. Can't say I've ever ran across a house or building like the OP posted.

Looks like rough cut lumber or as was done in the old days, a true 2x4. Wonder if it's something like chestnut or locust? Can't imagine most other woods would hold up untreated. Surely there is others, but those 2 hold up to the elements and chestnut would've been around yet in all likely hood when that old place was constructed.
The OP said it's in NE Oregon. Most of that country is pretty dry. As long as it's sitting on rocks or cement to avoid contact with the soil, pine or fir can last a long time. I've seen many abandoned shacks here in so. Idaho where it's dry and some have the wood in pretty good shape for being 100+.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just saw a show on I think First Alaskans, where they did this with local trees. Looks like they cut to 6X6 and just stacked them up. Course this was a small cabin (guess 10X10) but it went up fast and was plenty sturdy. Gives a good overview of how it was done.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Just curious if this method is used in other regions of the country.

The joints in outbuildings are usually left exposed and visible, but I've seen older homes that have walls framed like this but then sheathed on both sides. Can't even tell once the finishes are on that the walls are stacked like this.

Never seen it in Colorado and I've seen most of the old ghost towns and some 19th century towns still occupied. I think you are right. Makes a lot of sense when 2x4 materials were cheap and abundant. Easy to build, structurally sound and good insulation.

I wonder if they are actually 2"x 4".

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With that type of design, I wouldn't think there would be much need of a king stud.

I wonder, how they finished the inside of the building.

When I lived in Montana, I had a person ask me and the fellows I worked with, if we would build him a garage like this. I asked him, why would you prefer a building built like that over conventional way of building.
His reason: Because he didn't know how to build anything the conventional way. He didn't know how to frame for a window or a door, or layout for studs in a wall.

I tried to get him to relax. This is why you hire some professional for the job.

We built him a nice garage.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Near all similar structures I've seen were old granaries.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s pretty cool. Cant say I’ve seen it before.

Might start hoarding some scrap lumber😁

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just (November) bought 40k BF of White Pine logs...

It will be hitting the mill in January, if anyone wants/needs some please drop me a PM (I need about half of the job).

The wood will be in Brandywine, WV (25 minutes from Harrisonburg VA). I will be very cost effective. It will be green when you get it.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That’s pretty cool. Cant say I’ve seen it before.

Might start hoarding some scrap lumber😁

I think the affordability of the method died when OSB gained momentum in the mid 80's.

Prior to the demand for OSB, slab wood and various lengths of 'mill ends' were in abundance at the local mills near me.

I bought slab wood to cut up and sell as firewood in my campground. I paid $10 a bundle which would be a heavy pickup load at 8 to 12 ft in length.

That's when I took notice of the available 'mill ends' which included every size of dimensional lumber. Most all of it had some 'live edge' which appeared to be why it was culled out and cut off.
That was also $10 a truck load.

After they started making OSB, everything went in the chipper.

The last of the cheap wood I could get from the mills for firewood was 'spin offs'. Those were big fat logs they used for cutting veneer. They'd stick those logs in a machine that spun them up against long blades to cut the thin layers of wood for the manufacturering of ply wood.

If the logs didn't hold in the machine and 'spun out' and couldn't turn they were scrapped.

They upped the price to $20 a bundle for those but in short time they got a chipper strong enough to handle them and that was the end of that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Quite a few older grain elevators in Minnesota were constructed like that. Hell for stout...never seen a tornado take one down.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have built 8 log cabins. The key to long-term survival of an all-wooden structure is to have massive roof overhangs. I go with at least a 4 foot roof overhang on all sides. Let the metal roof take the beating, of the rain and snow, and the sunshine.

The cabin in the OP has one foot roof overhangs. Better than no overhang but not good enough.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,710
Posts18,475,395
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.