Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19032234 12/21/23
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey guys. Anyone own one that can comment on the accuracy? Been looking at these and they seem to review pretty well. Looking for some real world results from any of you that own one. Tempted to grab one. Have an itch for another accurate 22. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guns have always appealed to me. No experience, but hoping you get some good feedback.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
These guns have always appealed to me. No experience, but hoping you get some good feedback.
Same. Really like the look and feel. Hoping some can chime in on the accuracy. From what Ive read, they seem to shoot well. Torn between that or just building another 10/22

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have the BMR but the B14R - not even close to apples/apples but the 14R is plenty accurate enough for me. Share just so you know, Bergara does seem to build AN accurate rifle, if the BMR is one - I'd like to think it likely is.

50 yards off old shot bags filled with sand and my truck tailgate. Basically gunned them as quick as I can. B14R with carbon barrel topped with an Arken.

60 rounds, Eley Target (yellow box) The first 60 down the tube ever and I'm not an exceptional "for groups" shooter so I'm sure most of this spread is actually me, not the rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
I don't have the BMR but the B14R - not even close to apples/apples but the 14R is plenty accurate enough for me. Share just so you know, Bergara does seem to build AN accurate rifle, if the BMR is one - I'd like to think it likely is.

50 yards off old shot bags filled with sand and my truck tailgate. Basically gunned them as quick as I can. B14R with carbon barrel topped with an Arken.

60 rounds, Eley Target (yellow box) The first 60 down the tube ever and I'm not an exceptional "for groups" shooter so I'm sure most of this spread is actually me, not the rifle.

Thank you for sharing. Those are a bit of a step in price, but they sure are nice as well.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got a BMR. and I put one of the hawke 4-12 x 42 with the subsonic rimfire reticle. I love the combination and it is very accurate when fed appropriate ammo... mine gets better diet variety of SK stuff.

I guess I should note mine is the steel barrel version

Last edited by ldholton; 12/21/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CZ 457 Varmint MTR and Bergara B-14R can achieve the same level of accuracy all things being considered. I have the MTR and dollar for dollar is considered great accuracy for the bucks. The B-14R is a little more $$$ but that's about the difference. Some will argue that extra $$$ will give you fractionally better MOA. You aren't going to see better until you start dropping bucks on something like a Vudoo Gun Works or full blown custom rig. And then you are getting into the selling a kidney type of investment.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 12/21/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Same here. I've also been thinking about getting a more accurate bolt gun. Tikka T1x, CZ457, or even the Bergara. Hopefully some guys post their results.

Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The CZ 457 Varmint MTR and Bergara B-14R can achieve the same level of accuracy all things being considered. I have the MTR and dollar for dollar is considered great accuracy for the bucks. The B-14R is a little more $$$ but that's about the difference. Some will argue that extra $$$ will give you fractionally better MOA. You aren't going to see better until you start dropping bucks on something like a Vudoo Gun Works or full blown custom rig. And then you are getting into the selling a kidney type of investment.

I agree. I think some guys refer to it as getting past the point of diminishing returns. Where you might be spending a lot of money on a rifle, but not getting enough out of it for it to be worth it. Those Vudoo's are nice though man. Was talking to a friend at a recent longrange shoot, and he's having a masterpiece arms built. That rifle sounds like it's going to be a shooter. I've seen some guys at the range with some of these, and they were damn good shooters, but in terms of gilt edged accuracy/precision, not much better than my Kidd barreled 10/22. That could have also been the shooter, and not the rifle as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Teal

I know it would take more targets and time, but 6 10 shot groups would probably be more telling. Were you just working on trying to break in the barrel, or just bored?? With a new barrel or rifle, I'll usually record the first 600 or so shots on target, just so I can see an improvement on group size. As for that ammo, most of my rifles love it. It's always been a top performer in the 10/22's, single shots and magazine fed bolt actions.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It gets crazy expensive when you start chasing the accuracy game. I did 10 years of F-Class and it was pretty easy to drop $6,000 on a custom rifle. Accuracy costs bucks.

Then there was the 3-Gun affrication and the Trap & Sporting Clays & 5 Stand affliction and the Steel Challenge affliction....

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was just looking to season the barrel. I generally GDAF about groups and find them completely uninteresting after determining a rifle is accurate. 10 shots into that, was easy to see the rifle was accurate so I kept gunning.

I'm much more interested in hitting stuff. "hit that pine cone way out there" types of shooting.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
I've got a BMR. and I put one of the hawke 4-12 x 42 with the subsonic rimfire reticle. I love the combination and it is very accurate when fed appropriate ammo... mine gets better diet variety of SK stuff.

I guess I should note mine is the steel barrel version
Awesome! Have you grouped it at 50yds yet?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It gets crazy expensive when you start chasing the accuracy game. I did 10 years of F-Class and it was pretty easy to drop $6,000 on a custom rifle. Accuracy costs bucks.

Then there was the 3-Gun affrication and the Trap & Sporting Clays & 5 Stand affliction and the Steel Challenge affliction....
For sure. I spent many years in multiple shooting sports, competing. Its not cheap!

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
It's been over 30yrs. since I shot rimfire rifle comp. Where have the years gone!? I stayed in the "sporter weight " class they had at that time so I didn't have a lot of money in mine. At the time I used a KDF K22 that was exceedingly accurate. It was also my Squirrel rifle at the time, but I digress.
I love rimfire rifles and was always in search of one that would keep up with my KDF. My did I go thru a lot of rimfire rifles. It was then that I decided to build a sporter weight rimfire and was very pleased with the result. This rifle will keep up with the KDF in accuracy, but is not better in that dept. I started out with a Rem. 581S and got rid of everything but the receiver and bolt. I had the receiver threaded along with a 541T barrel that was hand selected. The Gunsmith went thru several rimfire barrels and selected this 541T over the Anschutz, Lilja, and several other makes he had at the time. He installed a Win. 52D chamber and used a 11degree crown. The lugs are lapped, a second action screw installed, and a different firing pin and spring. I went thru many different triggers before I found what I liked. First I rebuilt the 581 trigger by installing screws for the sear and take up with different springs. That worked ok, but not what I wanted. Next was a Canjar set trigger which was really nice but required stock and floor plate mods. Next was a Timney, another ok, but not it. Then I acquired a Rem. 3 screw 541S trigger. I sent it off to the gunsmith and he set it at 9oz. Zero take up, and zero overtravel.............sweeeeeet. Next I dug out an old Bishop 541 stock I had, installed pillars, bedded it, and finished the wood. I never did get around to checkering it and I don't really like the glossy finish I put on it, so I hope in the near future I remedy that.
The rifle wears and old Burris Mini 6X AO scope in Leupold Low rimfire rings. The rifle is not picky on what ammo it likes, is fairly light weight, and a dream to shoot. Sure, it keeps up with the KDF, but at a hefty price.
If one is looking for a very accurate non target rifle, building one may be something to consider.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
It's been over 30yrs. since I shot rimfire rifle comp. Where have the years gone!? I stayed in the "sporter weight " class they had at that time so I didn't have a lot of money in mine. At the time I used a KDF K22 that was exceedingly accurate. It was also my Squirrel rifle at the time, but I digress.
I love rimfire rifles and was always in search of one that would keep up with my KDF. My did I go thru a lot of rimfire rifles. It was then that I decided to build a sporter weight rimfire and was very pleased with the result. This rifle will keep up with the KDF in accuracy, but is not better in that dept. I started out with a Rem. 581S and got rid of everything but the receiver and bolt. I had the receiver threaded along with a 541T barrel that was hand selected. The Gunsmith went thru several rimfire barrels and selected this 541T over the Anschutz, Lilja, and several other makes he had at the time. He installed a Win. 52D chamber and used a 11degree crown. The lugs are lapped, a second action screw installed, and a different firing pin and spring. I went thru many different triggers before I found what I liked. First I rebuilt the 581 trigger by installing screws for the sear and take up with different springs. That worked ok, but not what I wanted. Next was a Canjar set trigger which was really nice but required stock and floor plate mods. Next was a Timney, another ok, but not it. Then I acquired a Rem. 3 screw 541S trigger. I sent it off to the gunsmith and he set it at 9oz. Zero take up, and zero overtravel.............sweeeeeet. Next I dug out an old Bishop 541 stock I had, installed pillars, bedded it, and finished the wood. I never did get around to checkering it and I don't really like the glossy finish I put on it, so I hope in the near future I remedy that.
The rifle wears and old Burris Mini 6X AO scope in Leupold Low rimfire rings. The rifle is not picky on what ammo it likes, is fairly light weight, and a dream to shoot. Sure, it keeps up with the KDF, but at a hefty price.
If one is looking for a very accurate non target rifle, building one may be something to consider.

Very cool and thank you for sharing. Beautiful rifle!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Man, I hear that!!! Luckily I made enough money shooting trap, that it paid for components and gas money going to shoots. Basically shoot for free and enjoy the hell out of the sport.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22

That's a sweet rifle. I like your Navy blanket too.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by K22

Thanks gunchamp.
Another rifle you may want to consider is the Sako Quad. You can still find them especially places like Gunbroker or Guns international. They are very darn accurate right out of the box.
I did a comparison one time with my Rem. vs the Sako at 50yds. Started out with clean bores. The comparison was suppose to be how I could shoot just as well using a 6X scope vs a 24X. Wolf MT was used in both rifles. The Sako as you can see was keeping pace with the Rem.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by K22

That's a sweet rifle. I like your Navy blanket too.

Thanks bsa
Those were the days. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by K22

Thanks gunchamp.
Another rifle you may want to consider is the Sako Quad. You can still find them especially places like Gunbroker or Guns international. They are very darn accurate right out of the box.
I did a comparison one time with my Rem. vs the Sako at 50yds. Started out with clean bores. The comparison was suppose to be how I could shoot just as well using a 6X scope vs a 24X. Wolf MT was used in both rifles. The Sako as you can see was keeping pace with the Rem.

Excellent info^^^ Now someone needs to do that with a Bergara. I'm one that likes looking at targets. I'm sure the OP does as well. Like I said before, multiple groups says a lot about the rifle. Yours shoot good buddy. You steer them well.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,173
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.