Print Thread
Hop To
C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Whatever you want to call it…. The zipper on my old fanny pack finally gave out. For most of my hunts I dont need a full size day pack. It seems all fanny packs have shoulder straps on them now which I’d prefer not to have.

The closest I’ve found that fits the bill are the Sitka Tool belt or the Alpz Little Bear..

Any suggestions?

Hunt...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Look at the mystery ranch hip monkey, and also that make one size larger.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Semper Fi
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d look at Mountainsmith.
Not hunting specific but I’ve been using and abusing one of theirs for 15years without a hiccup. Have a bunch of size options now too.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs

Very cool. I hadn't seen the big one with the straps. I have the original large size without straps which looks to be discontinued. I love it and well made but, I take a small wool knapsack from Johnson Woolen Mills when I want to take an extra layer. This new one looks perfect for that. Hal's the real deal. Lanny Benoit is just unreal. His tracking and his shooting are simply amazing. I don't think we'll ever see the like of him again. But, what he does in Maine is different than what Larry (and Lanny) did in Vermont in the early years. That was more like what Hal does. He is the dharma-heir of Larry in my book.

Anyways, I think I need that pack.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
+1. Great pack. I carry a Hyperlight Stuff Pack and an Argali meat bag in mine. With that setup you can carry a boned out whitetail while still carrying the BWB hip pack.

The BWB guys are good guys as well and deserve the business.

One man’s opinion.

Frank

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

Very cool. I hadn't seen the big one with the straps. I have the original large size without straps which looks to be discontinued. I love it and well made but, I take a small wool knapsack from Johnson Woolen Mills when I want to take an extra layer. This new one looks perfect for that. Hal's the real deal. Lanny Benoit is just unreal. His tracking and his shooting are simply amazing. I don't think we'll ever see the like of him again. But, what he does in Maine is different than what Larry (and Lanny) did in Vermont in the early years. That was more like what Hal does. He is the dharma-heir of Larry in my book.

I’ve got the one with straps. Love it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've wanted to give this one from hillpeoplegear a try for some time. Once outfitted with the belt and side pockets, it wouldn't be cheap, but I could see it being super useful and lasting a long time.

PS-I'd outfit it similar to what is shown in the picture, but I'm pretty sure that for the price it doesn't come with the weight supporting belt or bottle carriers.
https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/68

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I add suspenders to my Fanny packs.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't buy a Browning Billy 1500 Lumbar Pack.

I have friends in ME, NH, and VT that have used the Big Woods Bucks fanny packs and their take is that the big one is too big and the small one is too small. They have mostly gone with the Johnson Woolen Mills wool daypack instead. Ebay often has the Johnson Woolen Mills packs for less than $90.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I’ve got the one with straps. Love it.

Nice lookin' 5-shooter! When you previously posted the Sharps pic I was zooming in trying to figure out what kind of pack that was. Thanks for the heads up on these.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TDN
I’d look at Mountainsmith.
Not hunting specific but I’ve been using and abusing one of theirs for 15years without a hiccup. Have a bunch of size options now too.

Second Mountainsmith.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice lookin' 5-shooter! When you previously posted the Sharps pic I was zooming in trying to figure out what kind of pack that was. Thanks for the heads up on these.

No problem. Thank you!

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by fshaw
+1. Great pack. I carry a Hyperlight Stuff Pack and an Argali meat bag in mine. With that setup you can carry a boned out whitetail while still carrying the BWB hip pack.

The BWB guys are good guys as well and deserve the business.

One man’s opinion.

Frank

The Hyprelite Stuff Pack is new to me as well. Looks like a useful addition. Thanks for that!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,633
Posts18,512,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.