Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I own Weatherby Mark V, Ruger 77 All Weather, Remington 700 & T/C Encores.

To tell the truth, you cannot buy a better engineered rifle than the Ruger for the money. The rings come with it which saves you at least $65.00 when compared to other bulletproof, rock solid mounts. My Ruger is a 280 and has gone hunting more than all my other rifles put together. It has accounted for over 25 animals in 4 years.

Anyway, I suggest you look at them very hard & www.budsgunshop.com very hard. I have dealt with them now on my last four purchases and they aim to please, even after the sale.

308 Winchester is a very very fine choice. Now I'm jealous. The 308 Winchester was the first cartridge I ever bought. I was a weenie at 14 years old and couldn't handle the recoil. Now that I have come full circle, I have a love affair with my 7 Wby. Truth be known, I would have loved to have stuck with a single cartridge all these years and it would have been the 308.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
HR IC

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by New_York_Hunter2
Originally Posted by 7 STW
The SPS is good for a donor action maybe.It's a huge cheap pos.

And the stock sucks dick too...
What makes the SPS a cheap pos?

Where it begin?

Stock

Zero bedding Prone to breaking, louder than hell when it come's in contact with anything.Just love's the cold.

Rifle

Seen untrued barrels mated to the recievers,one rifle that fires when the safety is flicked off.Teflon like coating that's no better that rock guard on a car.

Anything thats a wally best seller can't be built with too much love.Granted it's a step up from the 710.

7 STW, I work with 5 or 6 guys that use to work at Remington's Ilion, NY plant, one of which was my supervisor until last Friday (12-21). They make most of their firearms there including all their 700's. I've been told a number of times that when Remington manufactures their 700 barrels and actions, the people that make them have no idea what model the parts are going to make. Obviously there are exceptions, like short, long or heavy barrels. In the case of 30-06 SPS or CDL, when they're being made they have no idea. The people that finish them do (as in blued or matte finish), but they've already been manufactured. The only difference is the finish. The barrels and receivers on the SPS and CDL start out the same. The only difference is the finish and the stock which they are put in.

I have no idea about the stock issues you are talking about. You could be right. As far as guns being sold at Walmart. With the exception of "special run guns" like Grice and places like that have made. When a rifle or shotgun is being made the people making them have no idea where they're going to be sold. They do what they have to do for the BATF, then they send them to a distributor who then sends them to stores and such. As far as "untrued barrels mated to the receivers" on a SPS, it could happen just as easy on a CDL. They're made with the same part, in the same assembly area, by the same people. This is what I have been told by people that have worked at Remington. I'll see if I can find out more about the two when we go back to work Wednesday.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

Last edited by New_York_Hunter2; 12/30/07.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking about the black composite.The one that chitt the bed was chambered for 300 Ultra.The guy didn't have it long either before it broke.Like most everything else something's aren't built like they used to be.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks again for the good info.
I have a Rem 700 .308 as my target rifle fat barrel and aluminum bedding block. It is very accurate-after I had the bolt face trued, lugs lapped, trigger adjusted and sanded the bedding block to make full contact with the receiver.
The new Browning x-bolt is a bit too much on the button laden euro-hip end of the scale for me.
Ten+ years ago I had a Ruger stainless bolt with that old skelotonized ruger logo plastic stock. It had an annoying habit of flying the third/forth round and it wasn't all that accurate to begin with.. I sold it. I understand Ruger has improved their barrel making these days and that Hawkeye is like seeing an old girlfriend that lost weight. I'm leaning.
What is the situation with the Model 70? Is it due out soon?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have two center fire rounds I use; .308 and .223. I have buckets of ammo for both and by different guns that shoot them.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
southwend,

I agree with the poster(s) recommending your looking to the used market. If you're going the new gun route, maybe Savage might work for you in your price range. I think I would handle as many rifles as possible to see which fits you best.

I have a Featherweight in .308 Win that I bought for backpack hunting. It's been bedded and the trigger worked. It is more accurate than I am. It has become my primary rifle. The "little" .308 Win has a way of growing on you.

It seems you have received excellent advice from knowledgeable hunters here. Let us know which route you travel.

Happy New Year,

Mando

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reloader 28
"The rings come with it which saves you at least $65.00 when compared to other bulletproof, rock solid mounts."

I do not pay close to that for Talley lightweights... And I find they fit the description, and more... Actually better than the Ruger mounts... But I will hand Ruger rings a couple things... They will replace them if you just give them a call and they are decent, just not bulletproof.

Also, the 77's front action screw is a joke of the worst kind...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say your choice in the 308 Win w/22-inch barrel is a fine choice. I would also say that a couple years back, the Rugers had very inconsistant throating (sloppy chambers). I am not saying this exists today, but Rugers were typically never known for out-of-the-box accuracy. I will say that it is hard to out perform a Howa M1500 in accuracy out-of-the-box. Yes, in some cases their triggers need work, but I much prefer a shooter first and formost. The new models carry a 3-position safety that allows the bolt to cycle. I like the Howa over the Weatherby Vanguard in 308 Win simply because it comes in 20-inch and 22-inch barrels rather than the Vanguards standard 24-inch. These barreled actions are well made and quite a few manufacturers provide completely finished stocks for them. You can purchase a barreled action in blued 308 Win for around $300 from any FFL dealer with a catalog. I bought a couple on close-outs years back in 308 Win and 7mm Rem Mag for $215 and $235. They both shoot lights out.

http://legacysports.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would look for 700 ADL/BDL/CDL. I have had extremely good luck getting Remington's to shoot out of the box and unless it's an old model will operate bolt with safety engaged. The other choice is Ruger 77, especially the newer Hawekeye. The Ruger has some really nice features (like mauser extractor), but I have had some real stinkers out of the box. All of my 700s have been accurate out of the box, some shockingly so. I have done some tweaking to them, but it's because I'm a rifle loony. Some 77s didn't shoot worth crap (i.e. >2.5" groups) until I bedded/free floated them. Other 77s shot great with no tweaking(like my .338), so your mileage may vary. I like Rugers enough that I don't mind tinkering with them if needed to get them to shoot.

Lou

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought my son a 700 SPS synthetic last X-mas, .308 win of course. Leupold Vx-1 2-7x33. Came in right at $700 all up. Shoots 150 Hdy's inside an inch all day long. This season it saw 3 deer, 2 bobcat, and 1 yote bite the dust. None of them cared about a cheap stock or whatever. Bang-flop. Adjust the trigger, check the crown and go hunting.

Although, all around quality has to go to Ruger, IMO.

Thank God for Mississippi!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southwend
Thanks for the information. I have a Burris 2-7 waiting to go on the rifle.
Browning a bolt was on my short list but I understand that I have to disengage the safety to cycle the bolt.
The new Ruger is a thought.
Remington doesn't seem to have anything in .308 sporter with a wood stock unless I go for a model 7.
Vanguard and Howa are interesting. I imagine the quality, fit and finish is good. Will they cycle with on safe?

I agree that we want to cycle on safe but I also want to lock the firing pin and not just the trigger for safe. Also I want to lock the bolt shut and now that adds up to three positions.

A bolt can easily work open some and then either not fire, the safety wont push off or the bolt falls open all the way and worse on a left hand sling carry.

Get the rifle that you like but look twice at the Ruger Hawkeye and the Ruger Ultralight.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for all the good information.
I'm heading out to my favorite gun store just outside of Richmond Va. later this morning. I'm going to cruise the used rack. Then check out the new in box. Will post upon my return.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 52 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.