Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
hope it goes well

Thank you.

Since late October we lost my Father-in-law, and my brother,
this evening we
go to my Father-in-law's brother's viewing.
We sure could use some great news.

This is a rock solid guy who has had a tough row from birth.
In spite of it all he is a kind, honest, God fearing man.
The world will be better with him in it for a few more decades.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are all missing some of the real reasons for the scheduling.

The insurance company is delaying the approval or have not given approval for the doctors to do the procedure.

Patients who have not followed directions, like failing to do their lab work. having a designated driver to take them home.

Patients who did not have the referral from their primary care DR. that was needed for the insurance to cover the procedure.

Patients who need to have different Dr. sign off for the procedure failed to follow through.

Patients who need to have a hospital bed after their procedure and none are availabe.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The demand for services is outstripping the facilities's ability to provide.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Factors in problems.

This has been "scheduled" for months.

He has needed it for several yearls.

The asshats just wouldn't commit to the hour until this morning.
I understand emergencies, delays, previous procedures running long,
that's all life. And they obviously could still happen and push
Back his 1pm actual surgery time. So he could have to wait for more than the scheduled 3 hours. (Has to be there 3 hrs early)

But why in the heck could they give him the day months out, but not an (approximate, because on the supply side everything is approximate in medicine) hour.

They can't be anymore certain today than they were in September.

Passes me off, them screwing with folks.
But, that's UPMC.

And from what others have posted, common in about half of hospitals.
Half. Hmmmm, why can others do better?

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
IME, the availability operating rooms and surgical staff is somewhat limited. Urgent cases are, of course, done before elective ones. When I did hospital work, the OR schedule was typically done the day before. I suspect this is the typical situation. Endoscopy suites are probably subject to the same issues and limitations.

A person’s medical status can change pretty quickly. Lots of issues are just not predictable. The patient who will need an appendectomy tomorrow may be fine today. The inherent uncertainty will probably always exist. 🤔

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The wetbacks and welfare parasites who are sucking up all the available medical care are totally screwing up things for anyone who has made any effort to be responsible and provide for their own health care in advance. Then the greedy bastards try to make up their losses on those of us who have even a little bit of ability to pay.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hotrod Lincoln: You’re preaching to the choir. The Magic Negro/Black Messiah ruined the medical field. I live in one county and the adjacent county is 81% AA. The hospital board is 4-1 as is the county board of supervisors. Recently lost the hospital because of this. Too many relatives hired that are of the it takes 2 to help 1 do nothing caliber, helicopter life flights to gangbangers that need to bleed out. Resources squandered and ruined for everyone. The ones who are responsible and have insurance are milked for all we are worth to make up for the losses. The same thing goes for nursing home facilities. Some get a free ride and citizens and vets get shafted. Our government supports all this. An older gentleman explained the word politics this way it’s a compound word poly and ticks. I know if you got too many blood sucking ticks on a dog, it’s gonna die!My rant for the day.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hotrod Lincoln: You’re preaching to the choir. The Magic Negro/Black Messiah ruined the medical field. I live in one county and the adjacent county is 81% AA. The hospital board is 4-1 as is the county board of supervisors. Recently lost the hospital because of this. Too many relatives hired that are of the it takes 2 to help 1 do nothing caliber, helicopter life flights to gangbangers that need to bleed out. Resources squandered and ruined for everyone. The ones who are responsible and have insurance are milked for all we are worth to make up for the losses. The same thing goes for nursing home facilities. Some get a free ride and citizens and vets get shafted. Our government supports all this. An older gentleman explained the word politics this way it’s a compound word poly and ticks. I know if you got too many blood sucking ticks on a dog, it’s gonna die!My rant for the day.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For what it's worrh,the trip and surgery went well.

Now, we gotta go back in 2 or 3 days.

Timing sucks, bad....
But work has screwed up Christmas for us before,
this guy is more important than the jobs i no longer hold.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dillonbuck, how far from Pittsburgh are you? I have to drive there from central Ohio faiy regularly taking organs and blood samples for my part time job. 400 mile round trip. Not too bad at night when traffic is slow. In the daytime it’s a bear. Hope things work out well for you and your friend.
Merry Christmas!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Upmc is awesome, they saved my dad several times from dieing. I just had my dad there on Tues for some stents. They got the best doctors around and I can't reccomend them enough!!!!

It's common there to not know the surgery time till the day before. It usually is an all day affair but hey they got a good cafeteria and coffee there.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
100 miles.

Not a big deal to a former long hauler, when it's happening.
But I can dread it sometimes. Patience is something I lack, dealing with the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and a looming appointment gets me wound tight.

On a happy note,
He called yesterday morning, they were kicking him.

Left here around 2, delivered him home, was eating supper at home around 630.

Everything was great.
Good trips, good surgery, he convinced them to kick him early.

Depending on which hospital, I get off the turnpike and drop down 28.
It's simpler and less hectic than the parkway. This trip was Mercy, it's right off the parkway, on the east side of the city proper.

Kinda laughing at myself.
At one time I might drive from Maine to Georgia in a day and a half.
Seaboard the whole way. Boston, New York, Philthy, Baltimore, DC, Richmond, and the mess that connects them. Different time, different (young) guy.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good deal!

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (2500HD, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,369
Posts18,506,535
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.