Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
What’s everyone’s thoughts on receiving Xmas bonuses? Let’s say you’ve been working faithfully for a company since it started 15yrs ago and it was bought out last year and now for the 1st time in your 30yr career you don’t receive an Xmas bonus. Do you let it bother you? Do you tell yourself it’s just the current times we live in? Does the company appreciate your faithfulness and hardwork ethic throughout the year?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the other 26 pay checks in the year hit my account with no drama I'd soldier on...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for the people that never got a bonus at work, you probably won't get much sympathy

If the xmas bonus was substantial, like Clark Griswold planning on putting in a pool with it, then I suspect you're about to see some turnover at the company because it will bother a lot of people working there.

We lost our Xmas bonus when our company was bought out many years ago, but the company they merged us with never got one to begin with, so it was an adjustment we all had to make. Some people were pretty sour about it for a couple of years, but they still had a job and overall it paid pretty well.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/21/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Does the company appreciate your faithfulness and hardwork ethic throughout the year?"

No.

Employers generally expect, or even demand, "loyalty" to them, and yet, they don't give a flying schidt about you. You are an unfortunately necessary business expense. If they thought they could make a dollar without you, you would be dropped in a heartbeat.

My Christmas bonus is about enough to cover a couple weeks or so of gas money.... gas used to get... to work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cousin Eddie wouldn't let it slide 😉

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Any employee can leave a company with, at times, great expense in developing said employee. Same works the other way.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems to me that a minimum bonus of 18% needs to be added on to each paycheck an employee receives would be necessary to keep the company from being viewed as contemptible. Perhaps the people that do business with the company could be asked to come up with this bonus rather than it actually coming from the company.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd be looking elsewhere, but that's just me.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I got a Christmas bonus the years I was a project superintendent. It was sometimes small, sometimes large, based on the projects I supervised.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Most companies don’t realize that a bonus would help moral and improve productivity, you have to throw your dogs a bone every now and then. But the company I work for use to give $200 for Christmas and now they give 0.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Organizations have the right to allocate bonuses on their terms. A bonus is just that...... A bonus. We tend to get them in the spring. I never take them for granted, and express gratitude when they arrive. It is interesting to see how the bonus amounts have varied with the different leadership within the company.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hillestadj
If the other 26 pay checks in the year hit my account with no drama I'd soldier on...

This, mostly.

An employment agreement is a voluntary contract between two parties. Look at the overall package and decide if it’s satisfactory. Buyouts have consequences. You work for a new employer now.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
If it is not in the contract, it is not owed. Easy enough.

You should have heard the bitching and moaning when our place got a new Superintendent and people thought they might be denied their Christmas turkey.

A leadership seminar a few years ago, satifiers vs non-satisfiers was discussed.

Not many years ago, nobody had ever heard of toilet paper. And they did not miss it, but try to take it away from them today!...nonsatisfier
Bonus money and increased wages is the same, after basic requirements of life are met. Nobody misses it until it is taken away.

Giving a crew earned vacation, or decent, affordable health insurance.....satisfier

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you have employees, once you give them something or do something for them, it's not good business to take it away. Granted, this is a buyout, but still, if employees have been receiving a Christmas bonus for 15 years, you have to expect some will get restless when that is taken away.

I like Christmas bonuses. I get one for a side gig I have. I give one to my employees in a business I own.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Did you ask why?

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some years are good, some not so much. When I get one I'm greatfull for the bonus, when I don't I'm greatfull I have a job.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
George Washington

Willie, smile
Coquille Valley Machine Works
541-260-6246
[email protected]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We had a very structured compensation program at Shell. Pay, bonus and stock. None of which were offered to the hourly or to young professionals. We needed to know that you were a long term asset worth investing in before anything over base salary was offered. Pretty simple actually.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I became a foreman, my company started giving me a small 4 figure bonus. I use it every year to take my crew of 7-8 guys and their wives out to dinner for Christmas. They earned just as much as I did.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I worked for the same company 39 years, and never heard of a Christmas bonus. I was 110% fine with that.
That company did give end of fiscal year ( Not Jan 1) performance bonuses. Some people received nothing, some received huge amounts, and everywhere in between. If you performed at a high level, you were well compensated if you didn’t, you were not given a bonus. That financial incentive went a long way toward the success of the company and the financial success of the better performers.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.