-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone converted their 15-22 rifle into a SBR? Looking at the Volquartsen 8.5 inch barrel. Seems fairly straight forward, but I've never removed the barrel from a 15-22.
I understand all the tax stamp implications. I usually have a suppressor on mine but it's just too long with the factory barrel. Thinking this might be a fun project.
https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/5054

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Kodiak Island,

Somewhat reluctant to reply as I don't like dissing other's choices in guns, if it works for them it's all good...

However, I wouldn't spend the $200 on a tax stamp for the S&W 15-22, because I'm not a fan of the plastic construction and from the reviews I've read (no personal experience) the accuracy seems not to be that good.

I had (now my daughters) a Tippman AR-22. If I was going to SBR an AR-15/22, it presently would be my choice... As the accuracy is decent (with the factory barrel), it is similar to the AR-15 in operation with last round bolt hold open, etc and there is 'some' interchangeability of AR15 parts (safety, trigger, stocks, forends, etc.).

I am going to SBR a 10/22... after I decide which receiver I want.

Jerry

Tippman AR-22, Ten shots at 50 yards, CCI Standard Velocity, the square is one inch;
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Kodiak Island,

I am going to SBR a 10/22... after I decide which receiver I want.

Jerry

Hi-jacking the thread a bit but wouldn't it make sense to use a 10/22 Charger receiver since it is manufactured as a pistol?
By the Charger being originally a pistol you could put any length barrel you wanted on it without running afoul of the ATF. It is my understanding that if a 10/22 rifle receiver is used then you would have to jump through paperwork hoops in order to use a sub-16" barrel.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Has anyone converted their 15-22 rifle into a SBR? Looking at the Volquartsen 8.5 inch barrel. Seems fairly straight forward, but I've never removed the barrel from a 15-22.
I understand all the tax stamp implications. I usually have a suppressor on mine but it's just too long with the factory barrel. Thinking this might be a fun project.
what about buying the 15-22 pistol version and then change the barrel. granted you would have a brace instead of a stock but there's millions of them out there similar to that in 5.56

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
what about buying the 15-22 pistol version and then change the barrel. granted you would have a brace instead of a stock but there's millions of them out there similar to that in 5.56

Mostly because I want a real stock and not the brace. I'll probably just end up buying a 22lr upper for my 300BLK SBR.
I like my 15-22, but it's a bit long with full length barrel and suppressor. I wish there was a lower cost pistol barrel available other than the Volquartsen.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton

Mostly because I want a real stock and not the brace. I'll probably just end up buying a 22lr upper for my 300BLK SBR.
I like my 15-22, but it's a bit long with full length barrel and suppressor. I wish there was a lower cost pistol barrel available other than the Volquartsen.
I Agree...

I had a 'braced' 22LR (a 10/22 Charger), I loved the compactness (even with my suppressor), but not the brace. I even tried a couple of different braces.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
my 15-22 is quite accurate and will shoot cci standard velo as long as there's one in the mag/chamber. it has last round bolt open and works like a regular AR-15 as far as controls go.

Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitearrow
my 15-22 is quite accurate and will shoot cci standard velo as long as there's one in the mag/chamber. it has last round bolt open and works like a regular AR-15 as far as controls go.
Big Ed
I think there’s some kinda mandatory rule requiring that there must be one flyer in every otherwise-good 5-shot group:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.