Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
The AMU showed up in force a few years ago at our State Mid Range Championship. I wasn't able to take home any prize money in the High Master Class that day! 😳

Brandon Green set a new Mid Range Aggregate record that weekend.

They’re some quality shooters huh Mike?

Marine is a proper noun. Get it right wankers grin

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The snipers I knew in 2/6 were a mixed bag, from all walks of life. They knew how to shoot but generally didn’t know squat about their rifles…twist, B/C, etc.

We drank a lot of beer together after getting back to Camp Lejeune but never really discussed anything but the important stuff. Dirty, dirty wimminz. Good times!

I’m a little teary eyed Ted…. Makes me miss the old days kinda…

When life was training or libo…. Anything in between was [bleep].

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
The AMU showed up in force a few years ago at our State Mid Range Championship. I wasn't able to take home any prize money in the High Master Class that day! 😳

They do set the bar high, as it should be... in that match I think I only outscored one of the several in attendance.

Pretty sure I capitalized Marine, apologies if otherwise.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We have Marines come over from the west side to shoot high power on our 1,000 yard range. Out to 600 with iron sights and they are ALWAYS competitive.

It’s said the US rifle team comes out to our range (Rattlesnake Mountain Rose Iris range) to practice in the wind.

If you can shoot the wind here, you should be able to shoot it anywhere. Been RSO-ing a few matches where the flags at 200 and 600 were in opposite directions, and the 400 was non committal.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard Rattlesnake mentioned a time or two. Usually it involves the phrase "a Rattlesnake clean" that being when they pull the targets at 1000 and they all come up as misses due to a fast wind shift 😲

Several USNRT members are local and they spend a lot of time here at Ben Avery and Raton which also has some tricky winds. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rattlesnake is in their rotation. With the World Championships in in South Africa this March, 6 or 7 members of the US Palma Team were shooting at our State Palma Championships at the beginning of the month.

Last edited by MikeS; 12/22/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
We have Marines come over from the west side to shoot high power on our 1,000 yard range. Out to 600 with iron sights and they are ALWAYS competitive.

It’s said the US rifle team comes out to our range (Rattlesnake Mountain Rose Iris range) to practice in the wind.

If you can shoot the wind here, you should be able to shoot it anywhere. Been RSO-ing a few matches where the flags at 200 and 600 were in opposite directions, and the 400 was non committal.

There’s no wind flags in the field while hunting and certainly no wind flags in any PRS or Practical Rifle Match

There’s also a lack of concrete benches and flat areas to shoot everything from prone

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM
Here’s another one for your spank bank. Come on, one pic of you with a dead animal.
🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

They do set the bar high, as it should be... in that match I think I only outscored one of the several in attendance.

Pretty sure I capitalized Marine, apologies if otherwise.

Wasn't directed at you buddy grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My SAR team has trained (land nav) with the guys from the Army Mountain Warfare School at Ethan Allen Firing Range. One of the fun things to do at lunch break is wander around the training hall and check out all the pictures of the guys from the National Guard Biathlon Team competing in the Olympics. The National Team lives and trains right there. Those guys can shoot. I don't know about Marines but my cousin (Army) likes to out shoot me with my own rifle whenever we shoot together just because he can.

I always thought biathlon was good training for how I hunt, particularly hitting when winded and with an elevated heart rate. I've run a few primitive biathlons (snowshoes and muzzleloaders) and placed decently. Maybe PRS is better for western hunting?

National Team guy:

[Linked Image]

My sorry ass trying to shoot like him:

[Linked Image]

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by SLM
Here’s another one for your spank bank. Come on, one pic of you with a dead animal.
🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗

Bsa is a good feller. Not poking fun at him. He knows his stuff for sure. So does Camuglia, usually enjoy whatever his opinion is as well as Burns.

But spank bank? I'm using that one. That's schit is hilarious.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hard copy Rick.

Comment wasn't comparing shooting on a range to hunting or PRS, just a comment about Marines competing with services rifles and being good marksman.

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
There’s no wind flags in the field while hunting and certainly no wind flags in any PRS or Practical Rifle Match

There’s also a lack of concrete benches and flat areas to shoot everything from prone

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
My SAR team has trained (land nav) with the guys from the Army Mountain Warfare School at Ethan Allen Firing Range. One of the fun things to do at lunch break is wander around the training hall and check out all the pictures of the guys from the National Guard Biathlon Team competing in the Olympics. The National Team lives and trains right there. Those guys can shoot. I don't know about Marines but my cousin (Army) likes to out shoot me with my own rifle whenever we shoot together just because he can.

I always thought biathlon was good training for how I hunt, particularly hitting when winded and with an elevated heart rate. I've run a few primitive biathlons (snowshoes and muzzleloaders) and placed decently. Maybe PRS is better for western hunting?

National Team guy:

[Linked Image]

My sorry ass trying to shoot like him:

[Linked Image]

Great pic One Eye!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Went on my 4th annual elk hunt this fall. No elk for me this year. We added a 4th to our group this year, my friend’s first elk hunt. He bought himself a nice 7PRC and was pumped up. Ended up shooting a rag horn across a canyon at 786 yards, broadside. Problem was, he hit it through the rear quarters. Fortunately the steepness of the slope facilitated a straight down evasion maneuver by the bull. I found him the next morning and put him out of his misery with my 44 mag. Poor thing.

Not saying people shouldn’t hunt at those ranges. If it’s legal, great. But I think there is way too much emphasis on shooting long range today, particularly in the world of newer hunters.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Youngsters goin....my dads dick is bigger than your dads dick!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Went on my 4th annual elk hunt this fall. No elk for me this year. We added a 4th to our group this year, my friend’s first elk hunt. He bought himself a nice 7PRC and was pumped up. Ended up shooting a rag horn across a canyon at 786 yards, broadside. Problem was, he hit it through the rear quarters. Fortunately the steepness of the slope facilitated a straight down evasion maneuver by the bull. I found him the next morning and put him out of his misery with my 44 mag. Poor thing.

Not saying people shouldn’t hunt at those ranges. If it’s legal, great. But I think there is way too much emphasis on shooting long range today, particularly in the world of newer hunters.

Pathetic

The way life should be.
X
Xspurt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Jeffrey -- "If it's legal great" What the hell is your logic? Create a mess like that just because it's legal? Would it be the same outcome if he had closed the distance by 500 yards? Like a real hunter would have done. Or if he couldn't do that try another day? Like a real hunter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Xspurt
Jeffrey -- "If it's legal great" What the hell is your logic? Create a mess like that just because it's legal? Would it be the same outcome if he had closed the distance by 500 yards? Like a real hunter would have done. Or if he couldn't do that try another day? Like a real hunter.
I think your quote doesn't hold water or work unless you put in the rest of his sentence about too .uch emphasis on longer distances not working for newer hunters.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Cherry Pickin'.....

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Would it be the same outcome if he had closed the distance by 500 yards? Like a real hunter would have done.

So just for clarity of your opinion, stance, logic, etc, 500 yards is peachy fine for the "real hunter", no?

You do realize that 500 yards is about 300 yards further than most of you "real hunters" should even attempt a shot.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
He said "close the distance BY 500", since you glazed over that

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 51 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,281
Posts18,525,586
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.