Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
don't get shot

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trip up to the lodge at Paradise on Mt Rainier?

https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

Jimi Hendrix's grave in Renton? oops, seems he was secretly moved to another grave in 2002 but they built a fancy memorial for the tourons.

Olympia brewery used to give free beer in the tasting room.

Take a ferry over to the Olympic Peninsula and go see the Pacific if they've never been. And Forks, WA one of the wettets places ever. Think they filmed some Vampire&werewolf show there.

But, I'm with the others........get the hell out of Tacoma itself

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
If you’re bring your friend from down south you shouldn’t see anything but the ceiling of your motel room.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once peed in the Tumwater upstream from the Olympia brewery. And yes they had free beer during the tour we took. Made from pure water from artesian wells reputedly.

They closed in 2003.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I'm not going my nephew is for a wedding wanted to give him some travel info. Thanks for the input

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood
Once peed in the Tumwater upstream from the brewery.

They closed in 2003.
Well now,

ain't that just wonderful.

Some big outfit by Oly or folks just quit drinkin' it?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Irving: Like others have said.... tacoma, taxington is THE schithole of all schitholes!
PERIOD!
I was born and raised about 20 miles from there and over the decades it has deteriorated to the point I would NOT seek it as a destination - especially NOT for a week.
Use the utmost in caution and personal protection (tell your nephew to do so).
If he is a sportsman type then SportCo in Fife (4 miles east of tacoma) has a lot of current guns and such (remember there is a 9.5% sale tax in taxington).
If he's renting a car get it FULLY insured - drunk minorities and Indians abound in that schithole along with the legions of white meth addicts.
The last time I was in tacoma most all the good gunshops had closed up - don't know and don't care if they have reopened.
That last trip was mainly to visit the LeMay Auto Museum and that I thought was worth the risk to life and limb and property for that few hours long gambit.
Tell your nephew to buy an umbrella.
Good luck to the nephew (especially if he is Caucasian).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't be anything like it was in the 80's.

That bunch of young wannabe thugs in the last video I posted were doing a lot of historic reminiscing about what the area once was.
The one kid saying after he got outta prison after 13 years he was surprised to find white folks jogging and walking their dogs in the getto he'd grew up in.

I read somewhere while coming up with the data I posted that the Army Ranger, Sgt. Bill Foulk had paid $10K for the home where their shootout with the gang bangers occurred.

We'd bought in earlier than he and paid roughly $1 per square foot for the bunch of 3000sf +/- homes we had.

We put about $5 a square foot into flipping them and sold out at around $50 a square foot.

Just did a quick search on Realtor.Com and see those very same homes are turning over for $400K to $750K right now.

That alone tells me it's a better place today.

If I had to visit there I'd head up to Seattle for entertainment.
That's what the kids and I did while we stayed there.

Lots of good street music around the Pike Street Market area and it's free.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone that's curious of how the hell a entire city can go down the tubes and just turn to schit, here is some history for ya...

https://www.historylink.org/File/9728

On December 8, 1978, a federal grand jury indicts 15 men in Pierce County, including Sheriff George V. Janovich (1928-2005), for engaging in a widespread racketeering conspiracy.
The gang, known as “The Enterprise,” led by Tacoma mobster John Joseph Carbone (1919-1998), is charged with using assault, arson, extortion, bribery, and attempted murder in an effort to control Pierce County’s topless-dancing tavern business. In addition, The Enterprise actively engages in insurance fraud, protection, prostitution, and illegal gambling.

The case broke when Jackie Bentley and Michael Johnson, half-brothers, were arrested in Kansas City, Missouri, in possession of a shotgun used in the attempted murder of Washington State Liquor Control Board Agent Melvin R. Journey at his home in Tacoma on November 15, 1977. 

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I can't offer much advice for Tacoma specifically...

However, if he has time and can afford to do day trips, he is within a few hours drive of some really beautiful country.

Olympic National Park is incredible. Canada via ferry ride from Port Angeles into Victoria is worth the trip....the Empress is a sight to behold as is Butchart gardens. No need to bring a car, they have Uber and really good bus service.

The locks in Seattle are pretty incredible as is the space needle

Last edited by m1919; 12/22/23.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Valsdad: My mother and her parents (my grandparents) are buried very close to Mr. Hendrix's grave site/memorial. I have stopped by there many times and there are always folks taking pictures (and some playing guitar) beside and inside that memorial.
I was unaware that "Jimi's" remains are NOT therein at the memorial.
SOLUTION: Googled it!

LINK: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/jimi-hendrix-memorial

It seems Mr. Hendrix is indeed interred there beneath his memorial and always has been. They just added the MUCH more ornate memorial on top of him after the original headstone was "not enough".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 3,175 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,965
Posts18,499,229
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.