Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
With 35.5 gr of LVR and a 160 FTX in my JM 336 (20" barrel) Marlin, I get 2370 fps. That load cuts holes @ 100 yards. That's the top end and I don't want to try that load in 90 degree weather.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a Marlin 336 and Win94, both 30-30, and shoot 170 grains, for the most part.

3 years ago I tried about 4 popular powders thru both rifles, to see if Lever was really that good.

Lever was 150 fps greater than the other powders without any negative pressure signs, or drop in accuracy.

Lever is now all I buy for the two 30-30's.

Merry Christmas!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
LVR is great in the 30-30 either with 160 gr Hornady flex tip and also Nosler 170 gr round nose. My 30-30 is a Stevens 325 bolt action from the '40's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been playing a bit with the .260 Remington with 120-grain bullets of a couple of different flavors. One thing I have learned is that QuickLOAD can lead you to shaky ground pretty quickly...I ran into higher velocities (and presumably higher pressures as well) much sooner than QL predicted. I have not found a sweet spot and don't think there will be one, which is unfortunate because I have a ton of it and no place to use it since my 6mm ARs went down the road.

It might be nice if Hodgdon and Alliant both made more data available for some of their powders.

Originally Posted by beretzs
I use it alot in the 5.56 along with stuff like the 35 Rem, 30-30, etc. It's darned near the same as CFE223 in most of my uses.

I burn alot of it on the progressive with 5.56 and 77's..

Scotty, have you tried it with lighter bullets in .223/5.56? QL suggests that lighter bullets won't allow a pressure buildup quickly enough to get a good, complete burn even with CFE223...but I've used QL enough to know that sometimes it just doesn't predict real results at times.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I've been playing a bit with the .260 Remington with 120-grain bullets of a couple of different flavors. One thing I have learned is that QuickLOAD can lead you to shaky ground pretty quickly...I ran into higher velocities (and presumably higher pressures as well) much sooner than QL predicted. I have not found a sweet spot and don't think there will be one, which is unfortunate because I have a ton of it and no place to use it since my 6mm ARs went down the road.

It might be nice if Hodgdon and Alliant both made more data available for some of their powders.

I use it alot in the 5.56 along with stuff like the 35 Rem, 30-30, etc. It's darned near the same as CFE223 in most of my uses.

Scotty, have you tried it with lighter bullets in .223/5.56? QL suggests that lighter bullets won't allow a pressure buildup quickly enough to get a good, complete burn even with CFE223...but I've used QL enough to know that sometimes it just doesn't predict real results at times.

Nope, just 75 and 77’s so far in 5.56.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nope, just 75 and 77’s so far in 5.56.

I might give LVR a try in my girlfriends AR with the 77's. It is way more finicky than any of my AR's, but it's a different critter, with its 16" barrel. I don't really want to pull out the good stuff, so LVR may be a great way to go.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I've found the same regarding charge weights vs velocities with GRT with numerous cartridges, but the opposite. GRT predicts higher velocities with corresponding higher pressures than what I'm seeing velocity wise at a given charge weight. I can only assume/trust that they're pressures for a given velocity are accurate, so that's what I go off of.

In other words just as a hypothetical, 35 gr's they are saying is overpressure at a predicted velocity of X. I'm at 35 gr's but am at the velocity/pressure prediction for 33 grains which is well within the velocity/pressure safety parameters.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
I've found the same regarding charge weights vs velocities with GRT with numerous cartridges, but the opposite. GRT predicts higher velocities with corresponding higher pressures than what I'm seeing velocity wise at a given charge weight. I can only assume/trust that they're pressures for a given velocity are accurate, so that's what I go off of.

In other words just as a hypothetical, 35 gr's they are saying is overpressure at a predicted velocity of X. I'm at 35 gr's but am at the velocity/pressure prediction for 33 grains which is well within the velocity/pressure safety parameters.

If I'm understanding you, that's pretty much what I've done. I just figure that the powder charge is a mere suggestion, but the velocity tells me roughly what the pressure is. I DO crosscheck with other references when possible just to make sure the numbers are plausible.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Just a quick question, in this instance did you use the default case capacity or measure yours?

Swifty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

If I'm understanding you, that's pretty much what I've done. I just figure that the powder charge is a mere suggestion, but the velocity tells me roughly what the pressure is. I DO crosscheck with other references when possible just to make sure the numbers are plausible.

Yeah, same as far as using velocity to determine pressure, just that you are getting the opposite results on Quickload. You're running into pressure/velocity quicker than Quickload predicts at a given charge weight, and I'm running behind predicted velocity/pressure at a given charge weight with GRT. Not always, but often.

Originally Posted by Swifty52

Just a quick question, in this instance did you use the default case capacity or measure yours?

Both. On things like 30-06 that I'm really familiar with, I just used the set case capacity to compare to what I already know with that cartridge. On things like 348 Winchester, it's actual case capacity. Not way off, but seems to often run slightly ahead on predicted velocity compared to what I actually get on a given charge weight.

And sometimes it's spot on depending what I'm working with.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, same as far as using velocity to determine pressure, just that you are getting the opposite results on Quickload. You're running into pressure/velocity quicker than Quickload predicts at a given charge weight, and I'm running behind predicted velocity/pressure at a given charge weight with GRT. Not always, but often.

Maybe my lot of LVR is faster burning than typical. I've checked on GRT and IIRC its solutions were not much different from the QL output.

I might just start over on LVR. I have a lot of it and would like to use it.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use it in my 6.5 Grendel’s and 6 ARC. It along with A2520 have been my main go to powders for ARC and Grendel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.