Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRnCO
He said "close the distance BY 500", since you glazed over that

I dunno, like he glossed over the rest of the context of the comment?

Still 86 or so yards beyond what most "real hunters" are comfy with.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
To clarify my comment on legality…

How many animals are wounded every year by archery equipment? A lot. Should we outlaw it? Should we call bow hunters pathetic because they wounded an animal? No. I support all forms of legal hunting and we as hunters should avoid the “my way of hunting is better than yours” arguments, IMO.

My buddy made a bad call when he made that shot. I wouldn’t call it ethical and I constructively counseled him on his decision and the outcome. We were happy to recover his bull and bring home good meat, but the way it all happened needs to be avoided in the future. He knows he messed up and has verbalized that. I chalk it up to excitement and lack of experience. He has that experience now.

When we look at all the cutting edge cartridges being developed and marketed, like my buddy’s 7PRC, they sell based on ballistic performance at ranges that I think very few hunters have any business shooting at medium or large game. That’s what I was referring to when I said that much of hunting marketing and writing is geared toward now. Take this forum for instance. We have a forum dedicated to long range hunting, but not still hunting or spot and stalk hunting. Go figure….

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Xspurt
Jeffrey -- "If it's legal great" What the hell is your logic? Create a mess like that just because it's legal? Would it be the same outcome if he had closed the distance by 500 yards? Like a real hunter would have done. Or if he couldn't do that try another day? Like a real hunter.

You’re new here, so let me give you some advice. Take the time to read something and understand it before you reply. Also consider that you don’t have all the facts and that when you start to make comments like yours, they are filled with assumptions.

The hunt was 7 days. 4 hunters from 4 different states taking time away from work and family to hunt elk on public land in a unit with a 10% success rate. My buddy shot his bull on the 6th day, at dusk. As I eluded to in my first post, and expanded on in my second, this was my friend’s first elk hunt. Maybe with that information you can conclude that your comment was not only asinine, but also that of an a$$hole.

Welcome to the fire. GFY.

X
Xspurt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Cat - nuthin to do with "newer hunters" only, you have followed the thread and know that.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think we're giving this joker too much credit.

Probably a PETA plant to sow discord among those who should be banded together to fight anti hunters just like him.

Have seen MUCH of the same kind of divisive rhetoric he is regurgitating here while dealing with azzholes just like him out on mainstream facebook. Keep people arguing because when they are wedged apart they won't unite.

So far that SOP is working for him/them.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DFTFT.....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cat - nuthin to do with "newer hunters" only, you have followed the thread and know that.
He didn't say it was al about new hunters.
While you are berating me for being misinformed, maybe you can answer this question I asked instead of ignoring it.

"It's called long range hunting. Nuthin about huntin all about shootin. Get it right."
my reply to your statement:
"The problem with a statement like this is, what exactly IS considered " long range" and who dictates said distance?"

And while you are at it maybe you can tell us exactly what your idea of " hunting " is
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

GFY

Life is good live it while you can.
X
Xspurt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Jeff - and several others, you are not even putting a spin on the complete mess which occurred just regurgitating the same old crap that will never justify ethically or physically the "long range" hunting that is being marketed. The only people supporting it are those making money off it and those not good enough to be a real hunter. All at the expense of the image of hunting and big game itself.

Cat - You would like nothing better than to crash this thread by turning the debate into a matter of 50 - 100 - 300 - 900 yards or whatever. If you don't know what "extreme outer limits" or just long range hunting is nobody could explain it to you. You support it like a lot of others and thats fine, I'm just saying you are closed minded and look like idiots. And if you have missed the point it's not "hunting" period!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No evidence from the OP that he is a real hunter.
So many broad strokes of putting people in the same cubby hole. Not surprising.
A lot of people who hunt at distance, do not make a living at it...Oh, that disagrees with one of your stated convictions.
Oddly enough, a number of people who hunt at distance, sometimes, also have the skill set to hunt up close.
Public land bull. Me and friend from church
29 yards with a bow I purchased in the early 90’s.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yes, I bow hunt sometimes, but I prefer handguns of all kinds.
I hunt with revolvers at other times. This was under 100 yards-357 Magnum

I am far from the best shot on here.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jeff - and several others, you are not even putting a spin on the complete mess which occurred just regurgitating the same old crap that will never justify ethically or physically the "long range" hunting that is being marketed. The only people supporting it are those making money off it and those not good enough to be a real hunter. All at the expense of the image of hunting and big game itself.

Cat - You would like nothing better than to crash this thread by turning the debate into a matter of 50 - 100 - 300 - 900 yards or whatever. If you don't know what "extreme outer limits" or just long range hunting is nobody could explain it to you. You support it like a lot of others and thats fine, I'm just saying you are closed minded and look like idiots. And if you have missed the point it's not "hunting" period!

Once again, you’re making assumptions. We put a lot of miles in to the find those elk and like it or not he did get his elk. 90ish % of the hunters in that unit won’t be able to say that this year.

I think you envision hunting more than you actually hunt. Just a guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How could I forget, a whitetail…26 yards around a month ago, with 14.5” 250 Savage single shot XP-100. No blind/no feeder/no bait/no agricultural field nearby.
The other doe was taken from 223 yards with the 308 Winchester (155 A-Max) both were heart shots from the sitting position

Amazing miracle…Longrange hunters do not fit into your definitions-Shocking!

Also this year---Cow at 225 prone Pachmyer Dominator (prone position)

BUT oh wait, buck antelope at 754 yards also this year. Public land, south of Lander, WY
15" 25-284 Black Widow

Funny thing is, a lot of guys here could easily show the same things: Short-range, mid-range, and LR hunts with a variety of weapons.
I know this doesn't fit your angry biases, but it seems about everyone but you hasn't figured this out yet grin

You are the gift (In a "Bah Humbug" kind of way) that keeps on giving.
The guy who rants and raves, but doesn't prove or show his hunting abilities or has not even attempted to answer reasonable questions.
Did you know the 357 Magnum can do a good job of killing, and has the accuracy to do so at 100 yards, and even further?
Tell me it's not so smile
Major assumption, by some: Just because you cannot do it well, does NOT mean others have the same limitations as you.
Some are worse, some are about the same, and some are noticeably better.

PD at 124 yards-44 Magnum (Friends revolver).

Coyote 90ish yards - 44 mag

Double kneeling with a tripod works to at around 265 yards (Dominator)

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff XP’.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
That antelope appears to be a bit of a freak Ernie.
I dont beleive i would have shot that one. lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by yobuck
That antelope appears to be a bit of a freak Ernie.
I dont beleive i would have shot that one. lol

Good one!
Looking for a big boy or a freak. Found this freak toward the end of our time.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’ve definitely laid down a lot of meat with those pistols!

👍🏼

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Crash this thread"??
What I asked you is your interpretation of " long range" and who sets the rules for distance seeing how you are the one who stated that Long range hunting is BS according to the thread title - in a long range hunting forum!
And just so we are clear, I know my own limits quite well but choose to hunt these last few years with equipment that has a dudtance limit of 400 yards.
That does not mean I am not competent past that, and it does not mean that I do not consider anything past that long range or shooting not hunting .
Have a great day , I know I will.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by catnthehat
It's called long range hunting. Nuthin about huntin all about shootin. Get it right.
The problem with a statement like this is, what exactly IS considered " long range" and who dictates said distance?
Cat
What is long range? That is a very good question with no perfect answer.

But here's a stab - long range (at least in the context of hunting valued animals) is anything beyond the distance where the target could move enough that a shot made with perfect windage and elevation calls would miss the vitals of the target. Obviously too, this definition depends on a rifle accurate enough, and a shooter skilled enough, to consistently hit in a group smaller than the target vitals at the range of the target.

For this, you need to know TOF. For instance, Kamo Gari's buffalo shot could be considered on the edge of long range in that particular instance. What was that at? About 200 yards?

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Spurt-Worm never did clean up his mess, did he? 10 pages later...

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
XP,

I used to hunt exclusively with handguns and crossbows when I lived in OH.

I remember the buck who gave us the “it’s too far” look when a friend and I laid down and put our revolvers on our packs and sighted him in. 125? Yards.

Mark took the shot and the then new 454 Casull with a 2-7 scope mounted did the trick.

I hunted with a contender in 35 Remington when I first moved to Alaska in 1989. After being out with the bears a lot, switched to the Casull, then rifles after moving to eastern WA.

Handguns required me to be more purposeful and thoughtful in my hunting. Maybe I should go back to that.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.