Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
H
H
Originally Posted by stratton
Everybody bitchn about these gen II rifles feeding poorly. The only one released so far without an AI or AR mag is the 450 bushmaster model, I have never had any feeding issues for either the AI mag (223, 6creed, 6.5 creed) or the AR mag (223 & 7.62x39). I dont believe these new models will have any problem feeding from either style mag, the rotary mag models, if any, have not been released for the gen II. Even the single stack mag (6.5prc) feeds. Maybe just wait and see if there is any issues before condemning the damn rifle.

I agree that the new Gen II’s won’t have feeding problems using the AI magazine, 450 BM, or the PRC mags. The ones that have well documented, major magazine issues are the 6.5 CM and 350 Legend in combination with AR models. There is no denying that they almost always hang up.

There hasn’t been a “rotary” mag in years. Yes they still have a flush mount mag on recent gen 1 models, but it’s a more traditional double stack spring and follower. These have issues in the 6.5 CM if you try to load more than 3. The solution is to load one in the chamber, then load the mag with 2 so there are 3 loaded overall. Then it won’t hang up. Under heavy use, these mags still have long-term problems even with older, non-steep shouldered cartridges, too.

I agree with the poster that stated that most of these “standard” models will come with AI mags because they know they are the most reliable long term and don’t want phone calls about issues, as they end up sending new mags or taking the rifle in for warranty work. I prefer flush mags, floor plates, and blind mags for the way I hold and carry and rifle in hunting situations, but it seems this applies to less and less hunters each year. The trend is non-flush mags, threaded bbls for muzzle breaks or suppressors, vertical grip stocks, etc. I also would prefer a more traditional looking stock.

Last edited by hinesf4i; 12/22/23. Reason: Grammar
HR IC

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by jk16
More money for a rifle that likely still feeds badly.

My 308 American sporter was made in 2014.
Still running the original rotsry mag in it
It has always fed flawlessly. One of the smoothest feeding bolt rifles I have ever owned.

I've seen this assertion here before. Even in the "gunwriter section".

The plastic American rotary mag is the most frail, piece of sht, fkn garbage mag, ever made. I suspect guys haven't pushed the mag past their narrow, fair weather points of view.

Here's what happened with my rotary mag: repeated use with spicy recoiling 200 grain handloads in the 308 winchester, the tips of the bullets gouged the [bleep] out of the little Tupperware thingy. Would no longer reliably cycle.

Ordered 2 of the "improved" ruger mags from midway usa. BOTH mags bound up, before they were even put in the rifle. Too much flex from all the frail, flimsy plastic. Both were returned and I was stuck with a rifle that didn't work. The early mercan is not compatible with a ruger-supplied AI stock(I called them). So had to retrofit a boyds ai kit to the original stock.

I suspect this "gen 2" is simply a marketing ploy to cover the real reason for the change: Ruger was tired of the non-stop customer returns of a rifle that has a poorly engineered magazine. For example: Look guys! Twirly flutes! They have electrolytes! It's what plants crave.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I currently have 14 center fire Ruger American Rifles, 12 of them in the Predator style. The 223 and 22-250 rotary magazines don't feed as well as the others, but I'm not particularly demanding, as I expect to make the first shot count, making the rounds that remain in the magazine superfluous.

I don't live where there are any dangerous four legged predators and none of the black bears or mountain lions that I have encountered while elk hunting have ever done anything that would require me to shoot them in self-defense. If I lived in a place where encounters with dangerous predators were a regular occurrence, I'd opt not to carry a Ruger American. My 308 RAR-P has the detachable box magazine and feeds the 150 and 165 grain Hornady American Whitetail ammo fine, but to be fair it has been fired less than 100 times.

Another one of those different people, different scenarios, different requirements situations.

What a load of crap.

How so?

Doesn't matter, you're too stupid to understand that something should function, and too damn smug to imagine you might actually need a 2nd shot.

I'd be amazed if you ever killed a deer in your lifetime.

My RARs in 204, 243, 260, and 6.5CM feed good enough for me from the original, first style, rotary magazines, only the 223s and 22-250s have had issues.

If I think that I might need a quick second shot, I carry a semi-auto or a pump gun. My preferred semi-autos are the Ruger 44 International or one of my Winchester 100s in 243 or 308. My black timber elk rifle is a Remington 760 in 270

I usually shoot between 8 and 12 deer each year in Nebraska and have averaged just over 10 per year over the past decade. My close to home hunting lease is within the boundaries of the River WMA, so I can shoot as many antlerless whitetails as I want to buy $14 tags for. Each River WMA tag is good for 2 antlerless whitetails.

However, I can remember the last time that I had to shoot a deer twice, that was in 2017. My first shot hit it in the empty space just below the spine and above the lungs, stunned it. I though that it was DRT, but I noticed that it got up and staggered off while I was field dressing one of the other deer that I had shot that morning. The bad part was that it staggered into 20' deep creek bed and I had to field dress it in the creek and cut it in half to recover it. I shoot deer because it provides me with an opportunity for me to try different rifles, cartridges, and loads. I give most of the deer that I shoot to Hunters Helping the Hungry.

I've never met someone that can autofellatio.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You don't look in the mirror when you shave?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are the barrels 20” with or without the brake?
As in what’s the oal of the barrel

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up a Gen 2 7mm08 today. Hopefully shoot it tomorrow

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Kinda cool they're 8.5 twist on the 7-08's though.

Nice, my only gripe is these rifles (first gen RAR) feed like schidt. They shoot well though. Have they done anything about how they feed? If not, I'm not buying. I'll let my buddies buy them and I get to test the accuracy out on them.
I have done a few conversions to the AR type mags well I guess that's not true anything I've got with ar type mags came with ar type mags. and they all do fine for me. and I've converted a few including 22-250 to the AI type magazine and bought a Magpul version for creedmoor and they would feed with four in the magazine but not with five. but now I believe it's MDT has came out with a specialty mag for 22-250.. and it's like some of the other MDT mags of a kind of a specialty in the AI style kind of like for a Grendel or 6ARC they're kind of pricey about 80 bucks a piece but I have great faith in them working well..

bought some 223 Polymer AR Mags over at Sportsman's Warehouse, 10 capacity, to try on my Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel. they feed just fine thru them, and a lot better than the metal factory mag that came with the rifle.

I don't need any more rifles in life, as I am starting to age out.... however I can see a 6.5 Grendel in my future and maybe even a 22 or 6mm ARC.
if nothing else to play with over at the range for practice and testing from 300 to 500 yd shots.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I dislike the extended magazine, so can’t see myself wanting one. I have an old Weather Warrior in 30-06 which is one of my most accurate rifles. I suspect this new savage offering will be sufficiently accurate for any hunting situation.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TLB2

TLB, can you give us an honest review of the rifle after shooting it? Thanks. I'm sure a few of my buddies will probably be buying these. These guys generally like just about anything that is low dollar/budget rifle so to speak.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

If you don’t mind, which retailer?
I’ve been waiting for my local Scheels to get them in, no luck so far.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ill let you know how it does BSA

Osky It came from a local LGS I work at P/T

Last edited by TLB2; 12/24/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I never fail to find humor in how many people whine about the looks of rifle, without even shooting it. A rifle is a tool and if it functions correctly, it is good to go. I have never found them to be ugly, anyway. Mine shoots lights out, balances well and does everything expected of it in a durable set up.

I will take an inexpensive rifle that shoots any day, over a pretty wall hanger. If you want to ogle over a wall hanging, buy a painting.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I handled one yesterday. The stock reminds me very much of the Bergara, and I don't read a lot of negativity of those on here. Who knows, these new Gen 2's might turn out to be like the ugly chick with the perfect a$$.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The stock is no ooglier than a bunch of current rifles. The magazines offered are the deal-killers for me, for a hunting rifle anyway. That release hangs down way too much. The ones using AR mags are worse, though the release is better. I like my rifles trimmer, which is why I went for aftermarket setups on my Howa Minis.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Waiting to see how low the Gen 1s can get.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Waiting to see how low the Gen 1s can get.

Yeah, unless by chance something is off with the new model and keeps the old one more desirable. Looks like no LH models, unless they keep the Gen1 Predator

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well it did fairly good. Shoots factory 140 Fusions 3 shots in .358 with only 4 rds through barrel @100 yards
Scope is a 3-10x40 Bushnell elite 3200

Last edited by TLB2; 12/24/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So, how secure is that mag release?

Don’t let the party poopers get you down, pretty is as pretty does. That one shoots real pretty.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Mag fits tight so has to be pulled out . Release has a fairly stiff spring. Way better than the Howa mini's.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well it did fairly good. Shoots factory 140 Fusions 3 shots in .358 with only 4 rds through barrel @100 yards

For whatever reason, that looks way better than the pictures on the Ruger site

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KenMi

For whatever reason, that looks way better than the pictures on the Ruger site

I thought the same thing when I saw it.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.