Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by Windfall
I can appreciate that lots of the guys on here use very good binoculars, but I do wonder how many of you use them in our typical northern public land, second growth, limited visibility deer stand hunting? Agriculture fields, trophy hunting, antler restrictions, no rifle scope, then sure the binoculars. The deer I hunt in the national forest I see because they are moving and I am stationary, so the advantage is with me. If the deer is stationary and I am moving like glassing, then the advantage is with the deer. If I need to confirm a buck from a doe, my rifle scope does that and I am already ready to shoot. There is a good deal of movement that will spook a deer to transition from using binoculars to mounting a rifle, so to borrow that line from the song "30 Point Buck", "There he was, gone." No one in the northern hunting camps that I've been in has used them.

If you're happy with your tactics, keep doing that. Even in the big woods, I like binos so that I can focus behind brush and see what's on the other side.

Yep. I'd feel quite hamstrung without a binocular in the big woods.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Vortex 10x40s.

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by beretzs
Meopta 10x42 Meostar HD

Swaro 7x42’s

Meopta 8x32 Meostar

Those Swaro 7x42's must be outstanding. They are tough to find used too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
GPO Passion ED 8x32's. All I need in CT. Used them in Idaho one year on an elk hunt. Didn't feel handicapped

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can appreciate that lots of the guys on here use very good binoculars, but I do wonder how many of you use them in our typical northern public land, second growth, limited visibility deer stand hunting? Agriculture fields, trophy hunting, antler restrictions, no rifle scope, then sure the binoculars. The deer I hunt in the national forest I see because they are moving and I am stationary, so the advantage is with me. If the deer is stationary and I am moving like glassing, then the advantage is with the deer. If I need to confirm a buck from a doe, my rifle scope does that and I am already ready to shoot. There is a good deal of movement that will spook a deer to transition from using binoculars to mounting a rifle, so to borrow that line from the song "30 Point Buck", "There he was, gone." No one in the northern hunting camps that I've been in has used them.

I don't know if they're considered "good" but those Vortex? This was the first year I've used them. I'll never go out without them. Dad, brother and son all use similar.

We hunt the Yoop so either in the swamp or on the edge looking into the swamps/thick stuff with occasional open field. Binoculars are great for making sure that bush you saw for the last 5 hours isn't suddenly a deer in the last 30 mins.

I focus on movement too when I hunt - binoculars let me look for movement farther out.

Me

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by drop_point

If you're happy with your tactics, keep doing that. Even in the big woods, I like binos so that I can focus behind brush and see what's on the other side.
Excatly....I can look through big timber well beyond what i can see with the naked eye.....Hb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Geovid 10x42s. Only optic I use. Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. Never felt like I needed anything bigger or smaller.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Meopta MeoPro HD 8x42

Ditto

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Windfall,

I hunted the woods of the central & western UP for deer (and bear when I could draw a tag) annually from 1997 to 2015. The terrain varied due to logging activity, bodies of water and some agriculture; it was a combination of private property, state and national forest land.

I can't imagine not carrying my binoculars, whether walking the woods or sitting in a box blind & a tree stand. I also look for the movement and use the glasses to see deeper into the woods or watch any open areas.

I used smaller binoculars, Swarovski SLC 8x30WB, Minox 8x33 and B&L 8x32's and they were never a hindrance.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meopta Meostar B1 8x32

I have a set of Leica Ultravid HD 10x42 that I rarely use - even elk hunting. I should sell the........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ultravid 7x42 HD
Noctovid 8x42

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Cabela's Guide Series 8x32. It's purported to be rebadged Leupold BX3. For the terrain & distances of the OKI region, they lack nothing. They acquit themselves admirably in more open spaces, too.

Might be the best $110 I've ever spent: certainly so when solely considering optics.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by cfran
Ultravid 7x42 HD
Noctovid 8x42

I looked through some Noctovid's at the Dallas Safari Show the other year. They were outstanding in every aspect.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Older pair of Redfield Rebel 10x42s, from the Leupold days. Heavier than they look, but effective and clear. Punch above their cost class.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.."

i before e except when your foreign neighbor keith received eight counterfeit beige sleighs from feisty caffeinated weightlifters. Weird.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same as always. Leica 10x42 for sitting still and Nikon 10x25 ultralights for walking. And a spotting scope for the long range stuff.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
8×42 Vortex Diamondbacks mostly. 6x Yosemite when scouting

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
8×42 Vortex Diamondbacks mostly. 6x Yosemite when scouting

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Swaro EL 8.5x42

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Used to use compact Bushnell rubberized that fil in my backpack when stalking or hunting from a climbing or ladder stand. About 3 years ago, buddy gave me his old Steiner Military and Mariner 10 X 50 rubberized green binos and a pair of Russian East German made binos. Both have excellent lenses. Getting chest harness/ case for the Steiner as they are heavy. Love em. He upgraded to Swaros and Leica high dollar optics. He lives on the Chesapeake and bird watches sea traffic and the birds, osprey and eagles specifically. He’s a old HS friend and former A-6 REO

Last edited by carrollco; 12/25/23. Reason: Spelling
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've been using a pair of Sig Sauer Kilo 3BDX 10X42 for the last several years. Please with the clarity and LRF functions as good as I hoped it would.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.