Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mikido Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a Steven’s 555 in 20 gauge. I really enjoy carrying and shooting this gun. After a year or two of ownership it started doubling. I sent it back, and Steven’s replaced the gun. The second gun doubles as well. I really don’t want to send it again.

I’ve cleaned the trigger mechanism several times, still doubles.

I’ve cleaned it then oil, doubles.
I’ve cleaned it then grease, doubles.

It’s not my form….doubles with other shooters.

It’s a single trigger mechanism. I try my hardest to replicate the doubling, dropping the gun on its butt, and it won’t. And it’s a definitely a boom, short pause, then boom. The first boom is causing the second.

Any ideas?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Like it or not, just get a return and send it back to Savage. A single trigger double gun that doubles when shot can not be fixed with oil. The sear (s) need adjustment. Only know one person good at adjusting a single trigger double gun that I trust and he is not for hire. He swore he would never do another one by the way.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the same gun and have not (yet) had that issue with aproximately 700+ rounds through it. Rapier is absolutely correct. Send it back to the warranty repair address with a letter outlining the warranty repair history of your shotgun - including your note regarding your doubling exeperiences. This will help the Stevens warranty folks PLUS you're establishing/restablishing the history chain record after each event. This is CYA for down the road if any parties involved try to short change you OR if you end up having to take even minor legal action to recover monies owed you. In other words, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 555 28ga with beautiful wood. Hasn’t happened to me yet but heard a number of incidents.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
I have the same gun and have not (yet) had that issue with aproximately 700+ rounds through it. Rapier is absolutely correct. Send it back to the warranty repair address with a letter outlining the warranty repair history of your shotgun - including your note regarding your doubling exeperiences. This will help the Stevens warranty folks PLUS you're establishing/restablishing the history chain record after each event. This is CYA for down the road if any parties involved try to short change you OR if you end up having to take even minor legal action to recover monies owed you. In other words, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.
BOOM! (no pun intended).. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

M
Mikido Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well, I got excited and picked up a Cz bobwhite on sale

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
May or may not be germane to this particular gun's issue, but I had a single trigger LC Smith double on me occasionally. A local shotgun wizard, since deceased, couldn't find fault with the gun in any way. Finally he had me shoot it in his presence and he came to the conclusion that my grip on the gun was causing it. A combination of a relatively loose hand hold combined with the gun's straight wrist and too short length of pull (one or all three) allowed my hand/fingers to do a little dance upon discharge that I was completely unaware of - thus subconsciously triggering an unwanted second shot. A 3/4" filler/spacer under the recoil pad and forcing myself to change my grip style resulted in never having the thing double on me again.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There was a time in mfg that Stevens had issues with the double firing!!!Don't recall the timing!! I bought a 555 used 28 ga, have put over 2K rounds thru it with one double, but I think the cause was me!! Friend has a Ruger early 20 gauge that will upon occasion will double, found that if you made sure to open the action completely, when loading, it would not double!!

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I had a well worn Ruger All Weather .12ga that would double when it was dirty or very cold. That will quickly get your attention with 3" duck loads ! My Ruger .20ga has never given me any trouble so far.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a O/U that would double, it would do it after selecting which barrel to fire
I do not remember if selecting the barrel from the safe position and then putting it in fire position caused it or selecting which barrel in the fire position.
It was a Savage 440B. Spent a bunch of money on that gun.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1badf350, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 16,894 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,356
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.