Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
As has been said above, many here in the SC Low Country run deer with dogs. In some circumstances buckshot is required, in others it is preferred. There's a lot of boxes of buckshot loads on the store shelves here.

I have never run deer with dogs, buit would like to experience it. I have a tentative invitation to join a dog hunt last day of the season (Jan 1.) A neighbor here, originally from Wisconsin, went on his first deer hunt with dogs last week, killed a nice buck.

At one time, it was all that was allowed for hunting deer in New Jersey, I don't even know if they allow hunting in New Jersey any more.

A friend, now retired, who worked for the NYS DEC as a fish and wildlife technician, was sometimes required to eliminate problem deer populations in areas where it wasn't possible to allow hunting. He worked those jobs mainly at night and often with buckshot. He said nothing puts a deer down so fast as a load of buckshot within its effective range.
Interesting on putting em down asap. I've shot a lot of pigs and quite a few deer with buckshot. And its maybe a 50/50 at best to put one down. I don't recall one going more than 100 yards after being shot though. obviously head shots do the DRT thing. But body shots only if a pellet hits CNS and you simply never know there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
Originally Posted by slumlord
Have you thought about typing your question into a search engine?

Like LMGTFY

Or

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=states+where+buckshot+is+legal+deer&t=iphone&ia=web
I didn't ask where it was legal, read the question.

Determining where it’s legal WOULD uhhh derrr aid greatly in seeking the answer to your question. I.E. commonly used in context of deer hunting.

dumb ass

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
You do NOT want to use full choke. It will blow patterns. If I shoot #1's, I use a Mod choke. OO or OOO and I drop to Imp Cal. Pattern boards don't lie.
!
BULLSHIT GALORE!! I used 000 and it worked dime fine outa a Remington 870 with 26" full choke!! A running buck was a dead SOB out at 75 yards!

A fluke errant shot can kill at 200 yards. Patternboards don't lie. UNLESS you are using a special barrel/choke combo... I would like to see the 75 yard spread you are throwing... lol

You don't have a clue!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
dumb ass

Correct spelling is Dumass

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A lot of people still hunt with nothing but a shotgun here in Louisiana. One of our WMAs have a shotgun only hog season In February slugs or buckshot. A full choke will work with buckshot but each gun is different just like a rifle some shoot a tighter choke better. 75 yards with buckshot is a Hail Mary with the best pattern. A 50 yard shot on deer or hogs should be a dead animal. Buckshots best use is where dogs are used to drive the deer. Standing on an old logging road while the dogs run the deer out of the pine/briar thickets Buckshot is the best option.

These are the facts not internet make believe by old dudes who don’t get off the couch

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Buckshot is still legal here in NJ for deer hunting. I killed my first deer, a doe, in a controlled hunt in New Jersey's Great Swamp in 1980. I used a Remington 1100 trap gun with fixed mod choke and 2-3/4" number 2 buckshot. The doe was running full speed at 100 feet or so, and I rolled her like a rabbit.

By the way, the State made us demonstrate we could shoot a killing pattern (I forget the distance), live fire.

Last edited by Jerseyboy; 12/26/23.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never found a specialty choke that shoots 00 significantly better than a standard full choke, and mostly they do worse.

Out of my Maxus II (Invector +) with a standard full choke and shooting Winchester Double X 12 gauge 3 1/2" 15 pellets 1,400 fps, this is what it will do at 40 yards on a 12"x12" target. A very good pattern.:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is a Carlsons Buck Shot choke, .710, in the same gun with same ammo:

Out of my Winchester SX4 (Invector +) 12 gauge 3 1/2" with standard full choke and Winchester Double 12 gauge 3 1/2" 15 pellets 1,400 fps.:

Same gun and load with Buck Kicker Full:

Carlsons Buckshot Choke .710:

Patternmaster Big Game choke (total garbage choke IMO - doesn't pattern any buckshot load well):

I will say that Winchester Double X high velocity is the most tempermental buckshot load I've fired. 1,400 fps is damned fast for 00 load. Recoil is tremendous. Winchester Super X 3 1/2" 18 pellets at 1,200 fps tends to pattern a bit better and is a bit easier on the shoulder. The same shell loaded with 54 pellets of #4 patterns best - very well in fact.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/26/23.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My experience with buckshot is that the load a shotgun likes might perform well from any choke. In patterning many shotguns with buckshot I have found no rhyme or reason some chokes make tight patterns while others don't. I never shoot past 35 yards with buckshot and have had good results generally. I really like the 27 pellet load of #4 buck from Federal but finding it is tough. For the most part have used 2 3/4 " 9 pellet loads of 00. And mostly I have used cylinder or improved cylinder choked shotguns.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hardin284
... The shot comes out of the rear of the wad versus the front.

No, it doesn't, and this is an absurdly dumbazz thing to believe and pass on. The shot is contained in the wad like all shot are and fires in a normal way. The wad system and shot are designed to stay together for a good distance. The wad has fins at the midsection and rear to begin to slow the wad down and separate it from the shot. This is unlike a more normal shot wad that flowers out from the front. The Flite Control does so from the rear but the shot is in the front of the cup.

You are correct that a wad stripping or retarding choke hurts the performance of the Flite Control shells. A standard smooth non-ported choke tends to pattern best with the Flite Control shells. Some constriction is ok as long as the choke isn't retarding the wad as the shot passes through the barrel. One of my Benelli M1s patterns best with the #1 Buck Flite Control from a factory Benelli flush-fit modified choke tube. Only shooting patterns at various ranges can tell a shooter how each combination of shell and choke is performing. Anything else is guessing.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by hardin284
... The shot comes out of the rear of the wad versus the front.

No, it doesn't, and this is an absurdly dumbazz thing to believe and pass on. The shot is contained in the wad like all shot are and fires in a normal way. The wad system and shot are designed to stay together for a good distance. The wad has fins at the midsection and rear to begin to slow the wad down and separate it from the shot. This is unlike a more normal shot wad that flowers out from the front. The Flite Control does so from the rear but the shot is in the front of the cup.

You are correct that a wad stripping or retarding choke hurts the performance of the Flite Control shells. A standard smooth non-ported choke tends to pattern best with the Flite Control shells. Some constriction is ok as long as the choke isn't retarding the wad as the shot passes through the barrel. One of my Benelli M1s patterns best with the #1 Buck Flite Control from a factory Benelli flush-fit modified choke tube. Only shooting patterns at various ranges can tell a shooter how each combination of shell and choke is performing. Anything else is guessing.

Slow down there, jerky….lol…..but you are correct that what I said about the flight control wad was wrong. My experimenting / discecting of factory loads is a few years removed. The shot coming out of the rear of the wad was something entirely different we were playing with….that strange wad was a 2 piece wad with the load pushing the front piece of the wad after all 3 components exited the barrel. The concept worked ok, but the wad in front of a load of shot ended up steering the load inconsistently and causing what was basically pattern POI shifts. I heard that some major shot shell manufacturers experimented with this as well.

Yes, the flight control wad has the fins farther back with the front part of the “cup” not having the traditional wad pedals. My H&K imported M-1s shoot flight controls about the same with cyl, imp cyl and skt chokes. Anything more restrictive starts to degrade patterning.

On the 00 / 000 aspect….many guys I hunt with say the 000 penetrates more and they get more exit holes than with 00. Basically the frequent times when 00 stops under the far side hide, the 000 would have punched thru leaving a better blood trail. That is what they say but I’m not sure I buy 100% of that.

Where is the TSS version of buckshot? I’ve been waiting on that to surface but haven’t seen any yet

Hardin284
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (160user, 06hunter59, 264mag, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 320090T, 22 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,782
Posts18,536,152
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.