Print Thread
Hop To
K
kunas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Hey all, neighbor passed away and I have been asked to help with his gun collection. He has an extremely clean colt trooper serial number dates it at 1978 with box. Box is really clean as is the pistol 6” 357 mag nickel finish. Looking for an average going price on these older troopers. I have to go back to get more details on his collection but wanted to get a jump start on it
Thanks
Ron

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Used to see them around quite often at the shows and shops I visit. Prices ranged from $600- $800, likely with room to negotiate. These last 3-4 years I don’t see them as much. When I do asking prices are much higher. Recent show in Parkersburg had one with a $1200 tag. Value of used guns has increased with recent inflation I guess. Actual sales with the increases seem sluggish from what I see and hear.

Best bet is to look at online sites for current and realized prices. Should be able to determine value range from there and price the collection fairly. At the very least some research will provide enough knowledge negotiating from an informed position.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, it's amazing how much revolvers from the fairly recent past (1980s and back) have gone up if made by either Colt or S&W and in nice shape. Nickel and box will also add to the price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kunas
Hey all, neighbor passed away and I have been asked to help with his gun collection. He has an extremely clean colt trooper serial number dates it at 1978 with box. Box is really clean as is the pistol 6” 357 mag nickel finish. Looking for an average going price on these older troopers. I have to go back to get more details on his collection but wanted to get a jump start on it
Thanks
Ron
Assuming there's nothing wrong with the nickel finish, you won't find a 6" nickel Mk3 for under $800 if you look all year long. The nickel ones are far less common, and a 6" nickel in .357 is not all that common. Seems most 6" nickel's were .22.

The MK3 is a BRUTE STRONG .357 and you can tell the second you pick one up...they're almost as heavy as a Ruger. DA & SA pulls tend to be VERY smooth. The return spring is way too stiff, so I tend to end up re-working the trigger return spring. When done right, the DA on a MK3 will rival anything S&W ever put out, just gotta do something about the trigger return spring. Oh, and they're shooters too, quite accurate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The estimated value by some guys on here really crack me up. Their estimate is something they wish they could buy the gun for. Not even near what the gun is worth.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, it's amazing how much revolvers from the fairly recent past (1980s and back) have gone up if made by either Colt or S&W and in nice shape. Nickel and box will also add to the price.
I have noticed over the last year a lot of collectors type guns have been going down (a little) in price; nice to see. Still, a classic revolver or auto from Colt or S&W if bought right will always be a solid investment. I love that I can shoot the living snot out of my Colts and my kids will eventually sell them for either more than I paid, or a LOT more than I paid. Its also nice to know that if it’s a Colt or S&W, they will hold up to a LOT of shooting. My 3 favorite handguns to shoot are my OMT in .22, Python, and SAA…and they go out with me just about any trip to the range. VERY solid investments that you can really enjoy to the fullest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kunas
Thanks
Ron

kunas, this is my 1972 Colt Trooper MK III. Does it look anything like this?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Nice. He said his was nickel, though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Nice. He said his was nickel, though.

Yes. I know. I'm just trying to give him a mile post to measure the condition of the gun.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
The estimated value by some guys on here really crack me up. Their estimate is something they wish they could buy the gun for. Not even near what the gun is worth.

Worth is a funny thing. If the family doesn’t know what it is and where to sell “worth” is low. Those of us who know “worth” and where and how to sell “worth” is high. At the end of the day cash is king. I for one will never pay “retail” for a used gun from a private individual. I have to laugh when a seller wants auction prices without auction fees. 😂🤣😂

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Region6
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Worth is a funny thing. If the family doesn’t know what it is and where to sell “worth” is low. Those of us who know “worth” and where and how to sell “worth” is high. At the end of the day cash is king. I for one will never pay “retail” for a used gun from a private individual. I have to laugh when a seller wants auction prices without auction fees. 😂🤣😂

I hear you. I never pay retail for used guns, either. That's why I've got a few. Probably not a desertoakie few. But, a few.

And it's always good to know what a gun is actually worth.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,106
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.