Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My brother has a Yamaha Grizzly which was imported from England by its previous owner and has to be 15 years old . Gets serviced at the Yamaha dealer no issues.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
what it is that the dealer can not get factory parts that old so the manufacturer will not let a dealer put after market parts on their machine
Unless its a warranty job , paid for by the manufacturer , which a 10 year old atv would not be. The manufacturer doesn't have a say in what aftermarket parts are sourced and put on the customers atv. That is totally between the customer and the dealers service department. Once the atv is out of warranty the shop operates just like a nondealer repair shop would. Including deciding what they work on and what they don’t. Based on that the customer can decide to buy their new atv from whatever dealer will make them happy.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had, several years ago, a 2002 Polaris 500 that wouldn't always start.
Took it to a large Polaris dealer down in Lakeland. They would not work on it because it was too old.
Took it to a private shop, repairs done.

I think the dealer didn't want to spend time sourcing parts for older units. Just a guess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^^^^ The dealers are a rip-off going with a Private shop if you can find one that has a good reputation is the way to go, they work on most anything and are more affordable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Riverc
^^^^^^ The dealers are a rip-off going with a Private shop if you can find one that has a good reputation is the way to go, they work on most anything and are more affordable.
Here in SWFL I dreaded taking my machine to our dealer. Expensive and not very good. I am much happier with the private shop I found.
The guy is sharp and loves working on ATVs. Up at my lease in AL I use the dealer. They are really great to work with. We have had good service from them on our old atvs ( some over 20 years old) that I bought a new SXS from them. All my machines stay up there in my warehouse so I don't need any service down here.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
boarmaster, was told that from a buddy that took his 11 year old back to were he bough it from for cv joints

1 member likes this: Boarmaster123
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The local Can-Am dealer here won’t work on any ATV that has a carburetor. EFI only.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KirkJ
The local Can-Am dealer here won’t work on any ATV that has a carburetor. EFI only.
Lol he's picky.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i had at the time 5 technicians working in the shop I managed and only 1 new what a carburetor was and how to work on it ....he was 45
most younger techs dont know what or how a carburetor even works...

always loved the people who thought dealers were rip offs until they have their machine screwed up by a person who doesnt know what he is doing but knows everything...their are exceptions and I have seen both

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol he's picky.

EFI implies computer which also implies diagnostic port. Quicker to diagnose/repair and put more volume through the shop, rather than carb rebuilds/jetting issues etc.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gene270
i had at the time 5 technicians working in the shop I managed and only 1 new what a carburetor was and how to work on it ....he was 45

always loved the people who thought dealers were rip offs until they have their machine screwed up by a person who doesnt know what he is doing but knows everything...their are exceptions and I have seen both
Ain't that the truth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Lol he's picky.

EFI implies computer which also implies diagnostic port. Quicker to diagnose/repair and put more volume through the shop, rather than carb rebuilds/jetting issues etc.
Makes sense didn't think of that but I'm just a basic mechanic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What I should have said is some dealers are rip-offs and they are. You do have good ones out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What I should have said is some dealers are rip-offs and they are. You do have good ones out there.

Agreed. See that a lot with Harley too. People are quick to call the dealership crap and cry for the Indy but around here - there's not an independent I'd trust with my stuff over 2 specific dealers.

Sometimes the independent guy is just the dealership guy who got fired for being garbage.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dealers are not rip offs if they won't work on a vehicle

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
if that is a question then no they are not rip offs....maybe you should try working on a ten year old pos that Bobbys friend worked on and cut the wires and ran new in ten different colors that dont match or maybe stripped out two bolts and you get the blame for it even if its rusted so bad covered in cow schit it was going to break anyway...and as far as things being simplified with a plug in port for a computer I would say you have very little experience if you think it is that easy

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1936M71, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 616 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,443
Posts18,507,817
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.