Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s a shame what BPS did to Cabelas.

For all the talk I heard about Academy, it’s pretty disappointing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Drove there to see what I could pick up in smokeless powder and primers. I put a couple of pounds of powder in my shopping cart, then asked the guy stocking the shelves why I didn't see any primers on the shelves. He tells me I have to buy those at the gun counter.

I go over there, and it's full of waiting customers lined up at the counter. Seemed a crazy system just to stand there and try to remember what position one is in for help from a sales clerk, so I asked if I was supposed to take a ticket. I was told that I needed to sign in at the kiosk (like at a doctor's office), and he points to it.

I go over and sign my name and enter my phone number, as the device requested. I wait patiently for over a half hour, chatting with other customers, then decided I had had enough, since a good many of the people who were there when I arrived were still waiting, and was about to leave in frustration when it occurred to me to just interrupt one of the salesmen and ask "Do we still have to wait on our queue position to come up if all we want is a box of primers?" The guy says, "Oh, no, you just have to ask." LOL.

There I was, wasting over a half hour waiting for my name to come up on the queue when all I needed to do was ask. You'd think there would be a sign there, "The Kiosk Sign-In Is Just For Help With Firearms, All Others, Just Ask For Assistance."

Anyway, I told him what primers I wanted. He grabbed them and handed them to me.

There are only a couple there that have a clue. I went through the same thing at the one in Dania. There used to be a really good guy that worked at that store. Vietnam Vet. Had a lot of very nice guns himself. I never buy guns at BassPro, but he had a lot of good information about other things. We became friends. Always looked for him if I went there. Well, he gets fired because he doesn't take any s hit from scumbag customers. Any retail worker in any kind of store in South FL (or elsewhere) knows exactly what I'm talking about. BassPro didn't think it was a big deal. Just in my business alone, they've lost thousands per year. And that guy doesn't care. He was building an outfitter's ranch in MT with his son. BassPro can pound sand. I haven't been there in years.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jdunham
I would have to want something awfully bad to go into a BPS looking for it. Scheels is eating their lunch and their dinner.
None in Florida.

If they did have one here local, that is who would get my business.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It’s a shame what BPS did to Cabelas.

For all the talk I heard about Academy, it’s pretty disappointing.

Yeah. They destroyed Cabela's, too.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Gee whiz...poor guy.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Drove there to see what I could pick up in smokeless powder and primers. I put a couple of pounds of powder in my shopping cart, then asked the guy stocking the shelves why I didn't see any primers on the shelves. He tells me I have to buy those at the gun counter.

I go over there, and it's full of waiting customers lined up at the counter. Seemed a crazy system just to stand there and try to remember what position one is in for help from a sales clerk, so I asked if I was supposed to take a ticket. I was told that I needed to sign in at the kiosk (like at doctor's office), and he points to it.

I go over and sign my name and enter my phone number. I wait patiently for over a half hour, then decided I had had enough, since a good many of the people where were there when I arrived were still waiting, and was about to leave when it occurred to me to just interrupt one of the salesmen and ask "Do we still have to wait on the queue to be helped if all we want is a box of primers?" They says, "Oh, no, you just have to ask." LOL. There was was, wasting a half hour waiting for my name to come up on the queue when all I needed to do was ask. You'd think there would be a sign there, "The Kiosk Sign In Is Just For Help With Firearms, All Others, Just Ask For Assistance."

Anyway, I told him what primers I wanted. He grabbed them and handed them to me.

I thought that maybe you sang the wrong song at the kiosk.
Yeah, there are always lots of typos when I first post. Then I do a proof read, make dorrections, and post it again. grin

My problem is that the damned machine insists on printing what I type instead of what I want.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
To be fair, there is a lot of lawfare (lawyers) in the mix. Witnessed some ol' boy get bamboozled by the fed form... answered incorrectly so they wouldn't sell him the gun. I could literally see the puppet strings on that poor young man having to be in the middle of that shyteshow. Inspired a thought that his civil rights had been violated, that they took advantage of his illiteracy of lawyer-speak.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I drop into ours every once in a while to see if there is anything used for sale. There very rarely is but a month or two ago I did pick up a pretty mint M700Ti 270 Win that I felt was fairly priced.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a very positive experience picking up a shotgun at the Delaware Cabela's last month.

I was buying a used gun that I'd had shipped up from their Ft. Meyers, FL store. I was out the door with the gun in 40 minutes.

Meanwhile in NJ, I sold a shotgun to a private individual. But here ALL firearms transfers have to go through an FFL. Buyer filled out all of the forms, paid the fee, and had to wait 3 days for approval to take the gun home.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had the same experience back in 2011 at bAss Pro Fort Worth, took about 1.5 hours to buy my HK. Now, my local pawnshop/gunshop does it in less than 10 minutes. I'll never buy from bAss Pro again.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Esteban325
I like the BPS used guns online. Some good deals there. However, IMO if they don't get it together Scheels is going to eat their lunch.

Scheels has eaten their lunch. There’s no comparison between BP/Cabelas and Scheels.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jdunham
I would have to want something awfully bad to go into a BPS looking for it. Scheels is eating their lunch and their dinner.
None in Florida.

None anywhere near here either, only get to go in one when I travel. The BPS here has always been a half assed operation.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I go over there, and it's full of waiting customers lined up at the counter. Seemed a crazy system just to stand there and try to remember what position one is in for help from a sales clerk, so I asked if I was supposed to take a ticket. I was told that I needed to sign in at the kiosk (like at a doctor's office), and he points to it.

I go over and sign my name and enter my phone number, as the device requested. I wait patiently for over a half hour, chatting with other customers, then decided I had had enough, since a good many of the people who were there when I arrived were still waiting, and was about to leave in frustration when it occurred to me to just interrupt one of the salesmen and ask "Do we still have to wait on our queue position to come up if all we want is a box of primers?" The guy says, "Oh, no, you just have to ask." LOL.

There I was, wasting over a half hour waiting for my name to come up on the queue when all I needed to do was ask. You'd think there would be a sign there, "The Kiosk Sign-In Is Just For Help With Firearms, All Others, Just Ask For Assistance."

TFF!

Old guys making easy things hard. Bet you struggle at 4 way stops.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Esteban325
To be fair, there is a lot of lawfare (lawyers) in the mix. Witnessed some ol' boy get bamboozled by the fed form... answered incorrectly so they wouldn't sell him the gun. I could literally see the puppet strings on that poor young man having to be in the middle of that shyteshow. Inspired a thought that his civil rights had been violated, that they took advantage of his illiteracy of lawyer-speak.

Right? Voter ID is racist and considered voter suppression and then throw a legally worded form with 30 freaking questions on it at people with no chance to revise an answer if misinterpreted.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cabelas was garbage 3-4 years prior to BPS.

When they discontinued the "outfitter series", I was done with them.

Maybe OP has learned his lesson?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Was there anyone in the store that resembled a 70s era Mr Olympia?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is a Cabela's an hour south, and a BPS an hour north of where I live. I noticed they were putting a BPS sign on the Cabela's last time I was in that one to the south.

The BPS to the north has never had used guns, they do carry them at the Cabela's and I've actually found a couple priced where I would buy from them. Filling out the paperwork is a PITA that takes 10X longer than the normal mom-n-pop places where I normally buy4-5 different people need to verify everything. . But it is simply a CYA thing and I understand. If a small shop makes a minor error no one cares. If a big corporation does it the lawyers will get $millions.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Once Bass Pro ruined Cabela's or Vis versa I got nothing or either one.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Went to the gun counter at Sportsman's Warehouse last week . One guy behind the counter, about 6 people in the entire store. Asked him if they had chronographs, he stated “ not familiar with that, never heard of one “ .
I left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I swore off going to BPS many years ago after long waits for incompetent help at the gun counter and did the same with Cabela's when BPS bought them. I've heard a good bit of uninformed and questionable advice to newbies come from behind the gun counter at BPS while waiting my turn.....much prefer going to a LGS with competent folks behind the counter. The only time they get my business these days is when I get a gift card and then I shop online.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.