Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
WTF is there a bunch of guys who have never killed anything beyond 400 yards even on here posting? They do not have a grasp on ballistics, on long range hunting methods, nothing, but they know way more than anyone else. My suggestion is go to www.longrangehunting.com and explain why 400 yards is the maximum range anyone should shoot game. I have not spent 40 years and 40 grand to get good at what I do to listen to a bunch of whiners tell me why
i am wrong because I do something they don t know how to do . Why do they all of a sudden act like Biden voters because someone does what they can't and is successful at it?

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It doesn't matter what a person's pursuit is, some moron will find fault with it. Be it rifle or caliber choice the way a person hunts or how they hunt .
They can't help but tell people they are :doing it wrong and unethically" .

Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
WTF is there a bunch of guys who have never killed anything beyond 400 yards even on here posting? They do not have a grasp on ballistics, on long range hunting methods, nothing, but they know way more than anyone else. My suggestion is go to www.longrangehunting.com and explain why 400 yards is the maximum range anyone should shoot game. I have not spent 40 years and 40 grand to get good at what I do to listen to a bunch of whiners tell me why
i am wrong because I do something they don t know how to do . Why do they all of a sudden act like Biden voters because someone does what they can't and is successful at it?

Well said RR...

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Why are you bi tching on the longrange forums again???? Decided to start your own thread because I told you imaginary hold overs is like guessing? Now you are guessing again about who has and has not made longrange kills. Go CRY somewhere else man..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As a fella that's seen proof of RR's LR kills, I'll lend some credence to his statement.

His long shots are over 2X anything I've done personally.

No beef with either of ya.

Semper Fi
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can appreciate the skill involved, it takes a lot of practice, knowledge and believing in your equipment, I just ain't walking that far 😂

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You are being just as intolerant as those who think you are wrong.
Moreover, you don´t seem to understand that others may prefer the challenge of putting a stalk at an animal than the challenge of killing it from the opposite mountain, and that it is their personal choice and not because they have not developed the ability or geared up themselves for such a thing.
I guess you are just asking for a little respect.

PS: tha analogy to Biden voters I simply don't get.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois

Moreover, you don´t seem to understand that others may prefer the challenge of putting a stalk at an animal than the challenge of killing it from the opposite mountain, and that it is their personal choice and not because they have not developed the ability or geared up themselves for such a thing.

There is a difference between having a personal preference, and imposing it on others. That seems to be the issue here. You don’t see LR hunters telling the close-range guys they are doing it wrong if they don’t shoot long, but you certainly see the castigation going the other direction.

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

There is a difference between having a personal preference, and imposing it on others. That seems to be the issue here. You don’t see LR hunters telling the close-range guys they are doing it wrong if they don’t shoot long, but you certainly see the castigation going the other direction.

I wish what you said is true, it's not.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnn

I wish what you said is true, it's not.

May I ask your rational?
Jordan is spot on in my mind, as per his usual.

As an aside, I personally am not much of a long range guy…only killed a handful of critters past 400 and none past 600.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First of all, why the heck you spending 40k to shoot LR? Second, is long range hunting/shooting your main occupation? I get the Biden deal. He's a loser and is everything that stands against America. I don't see anyone on this thread that appeals to that. Get a rifle, burn powder, be effective with it. It's pretty simple.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I think you find intolerant guys, disrespectful with others' preferences, among both sides.

It is quite common among the LR-hunters to think there is nothing behind a SR-hunter's opinion other than an envious, ignorant approach from someone who criticizes them just because they don't know how to shoot.

Ahh... well, this will go on forever, I guess.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
First, it's my money, if you donate to the cause will be glad to explain the how, when, where I spend it.
Second, it's a passion not an occupation.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
(Rodney Atkins)
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First, it's my money, if you donate to the cause will be glad to explain the how, when, where I spend it.
Second, it's a passion not an occupation.

I get your passion.....
What cartridge are you shooting game with out there in West Virginia past 600 yards?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
6.5 Gibbs, 7mm STW, 7mm Allen mag, 338 Edge, 6mm ARC for ground hogs and coyotes, play some with a creedmoor

(Rodney Atkins)
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That 6.5 gibbs sounds fun.
I think the long range deal for deer and elk sized game is more about energy and bullet construction more than anything. Making the shot is actually the important factor here obviously, but when that bullet hits at 600 plus, the energy must be adequate. So, of the cartridges mentioned, I know that gibbs, stw, and Allen would do it. But 600 to the long range crowd is nothing. It's once you reach that 800 mark is when the game drastically changes as it does from 400 to 600. I think to shoot game, especially an elk at that range, you need a 1000 pounds of actual energy. I think a 300 pound mule deer or a 500 pound cow elk for instance, BTW they will more than likely be in low light, across the mountain, in a hell hole, would need 3000 at the muzzle and 1000 pounds of energy at 800. Also, wind. Wind is the great equalizer. What its doing at your rifle is totally different than what it is at the animal most of the time. Elevation? Another element in long range hunting. Shooting down hill, shooting uphill, it all comes into play. So, a ground hog or a coyote isn't necessarily long range hunting. Kinda, but it's more like punching paper. The creedmore ain't gonna do it. Has been done, yes, but no, that's not a long range cartridge. Good for Bambi in grandpa's pasture, but not for an elk at 800. It's bullet construction, energy, and knowing your rig.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sometimes your not on the mountain. Sometimes your in the wide azz open. About 99 percent of the time, there's gonna be wind. Also, when your hunting pressured animals or wild animals for that matter, in my experience, I've noticed that taking several minutes to calculate a shot, isn't gonna happen either. You have time to range, dial, steady, squeeze. Needs to happen in less that 30 seconds. I can't do it reliably past 500. Made alot past that, also made alot of terrible shots past that. Kinda shy from those long bombs unless it's an animal I can set up on while in a bedded state and will allow me to go through a checklist to execute the shot. So, once again, an elk or deer out west, where long range hunting actually happens, us a whole different world than a ground hog on the east coast. An elk or deer won't just go back in their hole, the run to a hell hole or over the dang mountain, 2 days away.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This not criticism, an honest question
You guys doing this long range shooting go and collect what you harvest ?
Just heads , or meat and all ?
Guided hunts ?
Asking that because I’m wondering about retrieving method ?
Thanks , Kenneth

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Always retrieve here, just mostly cropping does

(Rodney Atkins)
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
This not criticism, an honest question
You guys doing this long range shooting go and collect what you harvest ?
Just heads , or meat and all ?
Guided hunts ?
Asking that because I’m wondering about retrieving method ?
Thanks , Kenneth

It usually involves a headlamp, a good knife, and work.
Sometimes you can drive right up to them and toss the quarters in the bed of your truck. Public land in the rockies, your there man. Side note, have some help if you shoot an elk lol. Especially if your a ways back in.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338Rules, 6 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.