-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
During the winter months when I am in Kentucky, these roads get salted a lot. I have a pressure washer, and a attachment that is used to clean concrete floors. Its on wheels, blast the water straight down. But if you flip it over , it blows water up very well, just like at a car wash.
Question.....my pressure washer has a line that can induct soap. Is there any product that could be inducted while washing the bottom side that would help prevent corrosion ?
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve never used them for cars, but they make salt off and salt away (two product names) for boats. It may be worth a look.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get some PB Blaster Surface shield or Fluid Film (PB Blaster Smells better) and coat your undercarriage annually in the fall. It's about 10 bucks a can and you can do a halfway decent job of coverage with two cans.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Spray the underside of your vehicle with a mixture of used engine oil and diesel fuel.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Get some PB Blaster Surface shield or Fluid Film (PB Blaster Smells better) and coat your undercarriage annually in the fall. It's about 10 bucks a can and you can do a halfway decent job of coverage with two cans.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Spray the underside of your vehicle with a mixture of used engine oil and diesel fuel.

How long do these methods actually last when driving in road salt spray?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard products with lanolin work well but fortunately I'm no longer in a salt state.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
During the winter months when I am in Kentucky, these roads get salted a lot. I have a pressure washer, and a attachment that is used to clean concrete floors. Its on wheels, blast the water straight down. But if you flip it over , it blows water up very well, just like at a car wash.
Question.....my pressure washer has a line that can induct soap. Is there any product that could be inducted while washing the bottom side that would help prevent corrosion ?
Charlie
I’m not familiar with anything you can add to a pressure washer, but I would clean it best I could, let it dry, and then hire a teenage boy to apply fluid film or like product.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 69sportfury

This.

I use the surface shield and it took 6 cans to complete the job, first time around. This on an older truck with lots of metal. Apparently it is good for 2 years.

I alse use the surface shield on boat trailers which frequently get dunked in salt water, as well.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use fluid film on my Tacoma. Usually after hunting season I pressure wash the frame and underneath. Let it dry then 3-4 cans of fluid film. Western VA doesn't get snow much but they still use the salt and brine on roads. Tacoma frame is still fine . Mine is an 09 so the frames were suspect to begin with.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Cosmoline Direct, "RP-342 Heavy", comes in black also, great product, doesn't easily wash off.

Promotion going on now.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Fluid Film or Wool Wax

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In high wear areas (road spray, etc.) it's going to obviously dissipate quicker than other areas. But I pressure wash my vehicles typically a couple times a month in the winter and I feel that most of the sprayed on film will make it through the winter.

Get the little wand adapter, only works on fluid film/wool wax can, but there's an adapter for PB Blaster. Helps to get up in the cavities of the frame, etc.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Car Wash I use sprays very hard underneath as I drive in. I can feel it blasting under the floorboards. I gotta believe it's getting the salt off. Our Highway dept's really love to LAY DOWN THE SALT !!

"not too grumpy"
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
It is actually too late to prevent salt corrosion. The only real preventative measure would have been to give a brine enema to the guy who decided spraying salt all over was a good idea. That ship has sailed. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Morton Salt Co. is based in Chicago. They give free salt to the city. The former mayor could have used that brine e..mx...........
No self-respecting Canadas fly there..........

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.