Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I suspect some on here won't care for this gun. I know a fair amount of old timers don't care for the 6.5 creedmore. So I'd assume some would think it blasphemous to rechamber a pre64 to 6.5 creed.

Despite 3 very full 30 gun safes, I do not own a 6.5 creedmore. And the wood on this one is beautiful. I have 7 custom pre 64 70s of varying quality. I've spent this much on a couple very nice used customs in the past, but hard to justify when you can buy a new model 70 super grade in 6.5 creedmore for $1700.

I feel like at half the price it's listed at, I could feel good with it. Or am I just out of touch? I know Steve Durren is known for quality, so maybe that's why it's so high?

It's been listed for a couple months, so obviously I'm not the only one that thinks it's high. I have no doubt someone spent that to make it, but I don't think it's "worth" that.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1019073199

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't care for the design of the stock. Value is whatever someone pays for it. No idea there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When it comes to custom anything, be it guns, cars, artwork, land...the question isn't so much "What is it worth?" but instead "What will someone pay for it?"

Will someone pay $5400 for this? Maybe. I wouldn't but someone might.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It would cost that and maybe more to have it built BUT usually you don't recoup your investment in a custom rifle. I have custom rifles in that price range but doubt I could sell them for that amount.
It's a very nice rifle

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You guys are pretty much mirroring my thoughts. I recognize there is no blue book for something like this. The one I spent approximately this much on was an Al Biesen custom, and it was in a caliber I had been specifically looking for (458 Lott), for a trip to Africa. So it was easier to justify it in my book. The other very nice customs I bought were closer to $3K, but still probably less than half of what someone spent to make them.

I agree it's worth whatever someone will pay, and that's a personal choice. And on that point, that's only if the seller is willing to sell it for that price. My assumption is if someone paid to have something done like this, and then never even shot it for some reason, they aren't willing to take a huge loss on it, so they may just be stuck with it until they find the right person or are willing to cut their losses.

Maybe a better way to phrase my question would have been, "assuming you like this gun, what would you be willing to pay?" opposed to what do you think it's worth?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have seen prettier wood from dis-assemble pallets.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The amount of time the gun has been available is a good indication of what others thinks it’s not “worth”
I’d scratch the 6.5 Creedmore itch with a $750.00 Kimber Hunter

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobdahunter
...Despite 3 very full 30 gun safes, I do not own a 6.5 creedmore...
...what would you be willing to pay?"...

Since you can afford to collect custom rifles, what difference does it make what someone else might be willing to pay for it? If it really appeals to you, buy it. Inflation has greatly diminished the value of a dollar, so keep that in mind when considering dollar value.

Personally, I find it very good looking. But would compare it to the cost of a mint Dakota, which has long been my favorite.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My apologies to anyone who thought it was a dumb question. I asked those on this board who might have an opinion because I've read hundreds of posts by people on here more knowledgeable than me on old Winchesters, and I value that insight.

For what it's worth, my day job is an appraiser (real estate), so the concept of "value" is kind of engrained in me. I've never been one to subscribe to the concept, if you like it and can afford it, just buy it. I always want to make sure any "significant" purchase is a sound choice. I've bought enough old 70's in the past that I justified because I thought the action alone was worth what I was paying for the gun.

With a custom gun without a market you can look back on and see what comparable guns have sold for, you have to wing it to an extent. My thought was, ask other smart people that know about this stuff what they would pay for that gun, and it's a good alternative to seeing what other similar guns sold for in the past since those sales don't exist.

As I mentioned in the original post, I knew before I posted it that there would be some negative comments. Some wouldn't like the caliber, someone wouldn't like the aesthetics, or the wood, etc. I get it. I also don't always like what other people like--all good.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys are pretty much mirroring my thoughts. I recognize there is no blue book for something like this. The one I spent approximately this much on was an Al Biesen custom, and it was in a caliber I had been specifically looking for (458 Lott), for a trip to Africa. So it was easier to justify it in my book. The other very nice customs I bought were closer to $3K, but still probably less than half of what someone spent to make them.

I agree it's worth whatever someone will pay, and that's a personal choice. And on that point, that's only if the seller is willing to sell it for that price. My assumption is if someone paid to have something done like this, and then never even shot it for some reason, they aren't willing to take a huge loss on it, so they may just be stuck with it until they find the right person or are willing to cut their losses.

Maybe a better way to phrase my question would have been, "assuming you like this gun, what would you be willing to pay?" opposed to what do you think it's worth?

Your question is going to have to be directed to someone who actually "likes" the gun. Hopefully someone here likes what they see, and can tell you what they would be willing to pay.

Serious question here: Is there a reason the wood hangs down into the trigger guard? Just curious.

Sorry, but that looks like chidt to me:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's either the aftermarket trigger guard, or the wood that just does not jive. A "custom" should have more thought put inot it. It looks like they hit a road block, and said f it at that point and just made it work. I'd just as soon have an original trigger guard there, with original bottom metal, and have a halfway decent looking stock, but they screwed the pooch there, if you ask me. Someone else may see it differently. Someone with more class, and someone that knows what they are looking at. But I'm from the camp of the factory pre 64 bottom metal has never done me wrong, why change it??? Only to make it look like crap.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
The amount of time the gun has been available is a good indication of what others thinks it’s not “worth”
I’d scratch the 6.5 Creedmore itch with a $750.00 Kimber Hunter

Pocono, I saw a really nice pristine 6.5 creedmoor yesterday. It was a wood stocked Kimber 84M Classic limited for $850. The stock was very nice, above what I see on most of these rifles, and in like new condition. I'd be tempted to buy that one, over the hunter version. I've heard some of those have major feeding issues.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At $5400 with sales tax (6% in MI), GB fees, shipping and the FFL transfer fees your crowding $6K. I would try to make a deal directly with the seller and avoid some of the extra fees. At $4500 I'd be tempted.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm wondering if this wasn't built for a customer who then backed out of the deal. I doubt a gunsmith would build this on the speculation of a potential sale. A custom gun is a very personal thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Your question is going to have to be directed to someone who actually "likes" the gun. Hopefully someone here likes what they see, and can tell you what they would be willing to pay.

Serious question here: Is there a reason the wood hangs down into the trigger guard? Just curious.

Sorry, but that looks like chidt to me:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's either the aftermarket trigger guard, or the wood that just does not jive. A "custom" should have more thought put inot it. It looks like they hit a road block, and said f it at that point and just made it work. I'd just as soon have an original trigger guard there, with original bottom metal, and have a halfway decent looking stock, but they screwed the pooch there, if you ask me. Someone else may see it differently. Someone with more class, and someone that knows what they are looking at. But I'm from the camp of the factory pre 64 bottom metal has never done me wrong, why change it??? Only to make it look like crap.

That almost looks like a drop box magazine bottom metal assembly, maybe a Blackburn, but those are usually used on big bore express rifles to gain another round of mag capacity. The wood my just be scalloped to mimic that. The builder is American Custom Gunsmith Guild qualified for both stock making and metalwork, so I'd guarantee the craftsmanship is there. Probably what was requested by the owner. I'm not to thrilled by the nose of the comb personally.

Last edited by MikeS; 12/30/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
The rifle is very well executed.

The issue lies in the fact that most guys who collect P64 Winchesters, myself included, tend to be traditionalists and that is not a traditional caliber for that platform.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A rechamber away from a 6.5-06 or 6.5x55.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flipping though one of my old Gunmaker magazines I see that Steve Durren was president of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild in 2022 for what that's worth.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I agree half would fair but I really like how it looks

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I like wood, and even like the wood on this gun - but if I'm buying something that is also intended to retain the Pre-64 character - it seems like too much of the pre-64 character has been removed. The widows peak butt plate looks to be removed. That to me is item #1 for a pre-64 model 70. I could even understand it a little if they put some cushion into the butt plate, but its still rock hard, and not original. I don't know, this looks more like a low value Pre-64 because it's not original anymore, or complete from pre-64 perspective, with a custom stock. For that, I have a hard time with the asking price. For $4000 I would want a very nice scope as part of the package, and this one without a scope would escape my interest until it was below $3000. That would be about $800 for incomplete pre-64 metal, and $2200 for a custom stock. I'd have to like it a great deal for $3000. But, that's me, not you. You asked, hopefully I did not offend. If so consider it not intended.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for the replies on pricing from those that responded. I agree generally with most of the sentiments, so your input is greatly appreciated in helping confirm my own thoughts.

I did offer seller $2800 for a sale outside GB. He responded that was less than the cost of components, which I don't doubt. So he rejected my offer.

I did ask what his "best" price would be, and never heard back. I personally do feel something in the neighborhood of $3000 is fair despite cost to build, but we'll see if and what he comes back with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,311
Posts18,487,258
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.