Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My cast iron pan is 95% used for bacon/sausage and eggs for breakfast. Occasionally I use it for a steak or for oven roasted chicken thighs. As long as you used the correct seasoning maintenance procedures, you don't lose seasoning.

After use, pour hot water into it and brush. This removes acids and salts. Then rinse with cold water, then wipe dry and place on a hot stove for a minute or two, till it starts to smoke. Then remove.

Since no soap was used, there's always a residue of grease left on the pan after the scrub and rinse, and that's what you are adding to the seasoning when you follow up with smoking it, so new seasoning is always being added back.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It seems so many things that come from the internet never allow room for a mistake to be made or even for a fellow to change his mind. If you have a cast iron skillet and you do happen to mess it up some way all you have to do is start over with it and re-season it.

For the problem with eggs sticking after you fry bacon. I've done as has been suggested and scraped the skillet after frying the bacon and that does work. Grandma used to keep a container of bacon grease handy and just but a spoon of that in the skillet for eggs. Works good. Fry the bacon last that way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brokenarrow
Originally Posted by gunzo
I somewhat understand the acidic tomato or citrus thing, but eggs from a free roamin chicken fried in a cast skillet that just fried "country" ham just might be the best fried egg that there ever was.

Grease from frying cured aged ham in cast is the place, bar none, to fry eggs.

This, and then the best gravy you've ever had.

Never fried eggs in ham grease but bacon grease has to be at least a close second.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I remove 99% of the bacon grease after the bacon is removed from the pan, then wipe the pan with a moist paper towel, then add a large pat of butter and spread it around for my over-easy fried eggs. They slide around on the pan, then slide into my plate, like it was Teflon.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
May be true with improperly seasoned cast. I’m thinking that the better seasoned the less an issue this will be once the pours of the cast are filling in over time.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
Cast iron skillet is the only thing to use to cook breakfast.
With or without saved bacon grease?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ironbender
Harrumph.
Ain't that the sound you make when your dentures pop out?
Heh. 😏

No. That sound is “glumump. God damn it”!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My cast iron pan is 95% used for bacon/sausage and eggs for breakfast. Occasionally I use it for a steak or for oven roasted chicken thighs. As long as you used the correct seasoning maintenance procedures, you don't lose seasoning.

After use, pour hot water into it and brush. This removes acids and salts. Then rinse with cold water, then wipe dry and place on a hot stove for a minute or two, till it starts to smoke. Then remove.

Since no soap was used, there's always a residue of grease left on the pan after the scrub and rinse, and that's what you are adding to the seasoning when you follow up with smoking it, so new seasoning is always being added back.

We use ours for eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, pork chops, back straps, hamburgers, liver and onions, everything that's fried, but fish pretty much.

No washing, no hot water, no brushing, no rinsing. Scrape out any residue from cooking down to the original seasoning, wipe out with a paper towel, slick as a well seasoned pan should be, and put in the stove ready to be heated up for its next use.

Can't remember the last time I've had to re-season any cast iron pan we use regular.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We have two cast iron pans on the (electric)stove.

One is for bacon and one is for eggs.

Sometimes I try to cook eggs in the bacon pan(like grandma) but they always stick and end up too greasy.

I'm struggling to understand the concept of eggs too greasy from bacon....

I prefer a BASTED egg anyway.

You know egg in the middle of a puddle of hot bacon grease, and then splash the grease on top of the egg with a spatula til done.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Muffin

Sometimes I try to cook eggs in the bacon pan(like grandma) but they always stick and end up too greasy.

You know egg in the middle of a puddle of hot bacon grease, and then splash the grease on top of the egg with a spatula til done.....
I bet they slide down real easy like!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
No washing, no hot water, no brushing, no rinsing. Scrape out any residue from cooking down to the original seasoning, wipe out with a paper towel, slick as a well seasoned pan should be, and put in the stove ready to be heated up for its next use.

Can't remember the last time I've had to re-season any cast iron pan we use regular.

This is my method to a t.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
High noon,I get it, 1978 vintage here!

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I bet they slide down and out real easy like!

Insertion for clarity.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What oil do you season with?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I bet they slide down and out real easy like!

Insertion for clarity.
Thank you?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Again[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That fryer looks worse than the one I use for lead smelting.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The cult of cast iron is one of the most tiresome fads to be spawned by the internet. 20 years ago, every junk store in America was setting full of Mamaw's rusty old skillets because no one wanted to fùck with the things. People were using them as dog food bowls. Now, those same skillets fetch hundreds of dollars, and everyone has become an expert in metallurgy and the molecular composition of proper seasoning techniques.

It's a frickin skillet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Not everyone will get this reference:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice pair of Klipch.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by auk1124
The cult of cast iron is one of the most tiresome fads to be spawned by the internet. 20 years ago, every junk store in America was setting full of Mamaw's rusty old skillets because no one wanted to fùck with the things. People were using them as dog food bowls. Now, those same skillets fetch hundreds of dollars, and everyone has become an expert in metallurgy and the molecular composition of proper seasoning techniques.

It's a frickin skillet.

Arouse the villagers! Light torches! Break out the pitchforks! Prepare the stake! Pile [bleep] (Not that kind, you idiot!)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I got it somewhere that Neapolitan had something to do with the development of cast iron. Someone told him cast iron statues of him would outlast bronze.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,701
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.