Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Why cant you get Unique powder about anything else is available?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Try finding H322…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you find out why, the answer will probably suffice for all kinds of powder and primers these days!

I laid in an obscene amount of Unique during the period I danced with a 28 gauge O/U 10-20 years ago. The shotgunning in general stopped for me (physical limitations) but handgunning picked up again and luckily a lot of those shotgun powders cross over into handgunning. Red Dot, Green Dot, Longshot, and the various iterations of Clays fell in with Unique in that regard. Then in recent years buddies who've aged out have laid a lot of powder and primers on me, such that I've passed a lot on to others, but I'm no fool and retained a sh*tload which when added to my own stash means that I'll never have to peruse the LGS shelves again. The downside is there's bunches of powders that've arrived on the scene that have gotten past me. So be it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If you find out why, the answer will probably suffice for all kinds of powder and primers these days!

I laid in an obscene amount of Unique during the period I danced with a 28 gauge O/U 10-20 years ago. The shotgunning in general stopped for me (physical limitations) but handgunning picked up again and luckily a lot of those shotgun powders cross over into handgunning. Red Dot, Green Dot, Longshot, and the various iterations of Clays fell in with Unique in that regard. Then in recent years buddies who've aged out have laid a lot of powder and primers on me, such that I've passed a lot on to others, but I'm no fool and retained a sh*tload which when added to my own stash means that I'll never have to peruse the LGS shelves again. The downside is there's bunches of powders that've arrived on the scene that have gotten past me. So be it!

Who cares? New powders are new, but are they any better?

The targets and critters shot with either, won’t know the difference…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Precisely. Machts nichts at the end of the day.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Who cares? New powders are new, but are they any better?

The targets and critters shot with either, won’t know the difference…

Amen !

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unique is out there. On Dec 15th, Midsouth Shooters was shipping Unique in 1 and 8 pound cans.

Sam......

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I just received an 8# jug of Unique from Natchez Shooters!

Currently in stock at Midsouth!

Frog---OUT!

Last edited by frogman43; 12/25/23.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
There was a keg here locally about a month ago and they wanted $399 so I passed. Picked up BE-86 which is supposed to be very close to it for $294.

Would be $350 for the Unique from Midsouth with the ship/hazmat. Guess I should have checked first. I bet BE-86 would be just as good but it being newer it doesn’t have the testing/data available like unique.

Last edited by Futura; 12/25/23.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've used BE86 a fair bit over the past year or two. It seems to work really well with jacketed bullets and monos, but I haven't gotten it to shoot cast as well as Unique in anything.

My 327 Fed absolutely loves it with just about any non-cast bullet, and the 45 Colt shoots it pretty fair, too.

CFEP has been kind of the opposite. It shoots really well with cast, but mixed results with jackets/monos.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a pound from nachos late summer.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There must be a half dozen other powders to use in place of Unique.
You folks need to broaden your horizons...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
True enough, but when you have 8-10 pounds of the stuff sitting there.....

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by dla

True, there are a lot of good powders in that ballpark, 244W, A#5, CFEP, Universal, BE-86, PP, etc. I use most of them, but Unique is just nice to always have on hand for its versatility. You can use it in dang near anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unique is nice for its versatility and it has been around so long there is loads of data. I use it in 45 acp, 45 colt, 45-70, and had made some plinking rounds with it before in a 270. I think AA5 and BE-86 will be good alts but not having the data for the reduced loads in 45-70 etc. makes unique more desirable. Trailboss if available would be a good choice and I thinke some of the other SR powders etc. Will just have to do some looking but it was always nice having some unique on hand for that sort of thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still Unique pounders @ Midsouth this AM.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by zcm82
Originally Posted by dla

True, there are a lot of good powders in that ballpark, 244W, A#5, CFEP, Universal, BE-86, PP, etc. I use most of them, but Unique is just nice to always have on hand for its versatility. You can use it in dang near anything.

The problem, and the reason I chide Unique-lovers, is that Unique has been hard to come by since the Barack Obozo administration. The only thing to concur is that low-volume, somewhat noob reloaders are just stuck in a rut.

I moved on from Unique back when Reagan was wrapping up his 2nd term.

Actually, I don't use much Alliant product at all because they are such a small producer and their prices are high. Everything they sell can be found elsewhere at better prices.

Last edited by dla; 12/29/23.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some folks should do some google work & make a list of powder sellers. I found no less than a 100 #'s of the big "U" scattered at just 3 sellers today. I don't use it for everything, but use more of it than anything else.

Originally Posted by dla

Yep, but not as much load data for all of them put together than has been published & used for Unique. Some of those might be as versatile, but data rarely shows them to be.

Lilly white hands boys used to whine about it being dirty & supposedly it's been cleaned up some. Otherwise, Unique ain't broke & it's available, so it don't need to be fixed or replaced.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
The new-ish Unique is a little cleaner. It looks a bit different than the older stuff, too. Not sure how long ago they changed it, but at least 4-5 years ago, because that's the last time I got an 8 pounder.

I mostly use it for 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R, and 375 Win cast loads, so that 8# will likely last me the rest of my life with such small charges.

Last edited by zcm82; 12/30/23. Reason: addition
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Recent reading about powders and first hand knowledge of availability in my area leads me to believe the manufacturers are slowly leading us to new offerings. The Unique is one that’s been tough to find while W244 and BE86 seems always around.

I get my theory from a couple online references to the efficiency of production of W244 and BE86 vs Unique, w231,HP38. I’m sure other comparisons have been mentioned in forums I’m unaware of but my hypothesis remains. Our old favorites are more costly to produce so manufacturers are trying to match performance of old favorites with new more efficient production technologies. They are “weening” us off favorites slowly. We’ll see I quess, I just bought some W244. Hope to work up to W231/HP38 performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (17CalFan, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,962
Posts18,499,194
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.