Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, quite an achievement. There is a satisfaction that comes from successfully using equipment you crafted.

I have made a few osage selfbows, and flintknapped broadheads. Admittedly, I need more practice on both. I have friends that hunt exclusively with selfbows and have taken moose to javelina with them.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's bad ass.

Camp is where you make it.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I thought so too.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Nice!

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Every year at McAlister Ammo Depot in Okla has a traditional archery shoot. It usually last two days and nothing but traditional archery is allowed. Lots of vendors and people knapping arrow heads or building bows. Great fun if your into traditional archery. Then the Holy Grail of draw in hunts is held at McAlister. Its a traditional bow hunt only. If you ever watch Outdoor Oklahoma, most of those big Oklahoma bucks came from there.

That was quite a feat taking a black bear with a home built bow and arrow. One, there isn't that many bears here, two, you buy a tag and hope the limit isn't filled before you get your bear and three, taking it with his equipment is really special. A memory he will never forget. Well done!!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
He posted the video of the hunt on his YouTube account a few days ago. Good watch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is fantastic. He was one of our club, Oklahoma Selfbow Jamboree students. Myself and 10 others started that club the Oklahoma Selfbow Society 18 years back. We have run as many as 400 or more students, men, women, kids through our 4 day gathering each year. We have people that bring Osage staves for sale and we teach them from the start of picking a piece of wood, to laying out the bow and using hand tools to shape the bow. We teach making the bows, even other types of wood, making strings, picking different types of finish for the bows, making primitive arrows and we have a lot of flint knappers that are in our group that teach snapping stone.
It is a great thing when we hear of a bow maker that learned from us taking wild game of winning a shoot. Out motto on on all of our shirts, gear and hats is "Passing on the Tradition".
Congratulations Caleb.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's the pinnacle of hunting boys. That's not traditional equipment, that's primitive stuff, which makes it that much more bad to the bone. No steel, no carbon, no fiberglass. Natural material. Takes bowhunting to a whole new level.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by McClura
That is fantastic. He was one of our club, Oklahoma Selfbow Jamboree students. Myself and 10 others started that club the Oklahoma Selfbow Society 18 years back. We have run as many as 400 or more students, men, women, kids through our 4 day gathering each year. We have people that bring Osage staves for sale and we teach them from the start of picking a piece of wood, to laying out the bow and using hand tools to shape the bow. We teach making the bows, even other types of wood, making strings, picking different types of finish for the bows, making primitive arrows and we have a lot of flint knappers that are in our group that teach snapping stone.
It is a great thing when we hear of a bow maker that learned from us taking wild game of winning a shoot. Out motto on on all of our shirts, gear and hats is "Passing on the Tradition".
Congratulations Caleb.

Mike

Mike,
Thank you and the crew that run the program. It is no small undertaking I’m sure. To have a young person get hooked on archery is cool. But to have them take up the full traditional gear and complete a hunt is another level.
I have found a few stone points in the fields of New England. Every time, I am struck by just what that point meant to the person that lost it where I found it. Most we find are thought to be around 1500 to 2000 years old. It is a real tribute to those early hunters to commit to the self bow and a stone point.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was an awesome story. Thanks for sharing. I might have to buy one of his tabs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.