Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have a 25 year old TJ and like it just fine. It hauls fishing gear and camping gear and the dog likes it. GD

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I stopped by the BMW place. There is an X3 M40i calling my name.

Done with Jeep.

You really might want to think hard about that BMW for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that the X3 is small, very small.............X5 at a minimum for any serious consideration.

I've never had any real issue with the Jeeps I've had & the current Wrangler 4dr have 90K, but Stellantis & Fiat (we deal with them in EU) are even more fu^cked up than Chrysler & Daimler was, & that's saying a lot.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHunter
BMW, Big Money Wasted. No BMW is designed for longevity, in fact I have read that 100,00 kilometers is there design goal with good performance the priority. During that 100,000 kilometers you will pay a premium for routine maintenance and an extreme premium for any repairs.

One of the few vehicles less reliable than a Jeep.

Probably, but their warranty and free service for four years is hard to pass on.

Look at resale values.

80-100k BMWs are one of the most deprecated cars on the road.

Reason$

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I stopped by the BMW place. There is an X3 M40i calling my name.

Done with Jeep.

You really might want to think hard about that BMW for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that the X3 is small, very small.............X5 at a minimum for any serious consideration.

I've never had any real issue with the Jeeps I've had & the current Wrangler 4dr have 90K, but Stellantis & Fiat (we deal with them in EU) are even more fu^cked up than Chrysler & Daimler was, & that's saying a lot.

MM

I agree with the X5 suggestion for size. We have a 2017 X5 diesel with 60,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free for us so far. The maintenance plan they come with is very nice. Ours is out of it now and I do all the maintenance. It isn't that hard and far cheaper than dealership change the oil, filter, cabin, etc...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by greydog
We have a 25 year old TJ and like it just fine. It hauls fishing gear and camping gear and the dog likes it. GD

Same here, I wouldn't want it as a primary vehicle but it's been great for what we use it for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Your life is made up of two dates and a dash, Make the most of the dash.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reivertom
I took my 2021 Grand Cherokee SRT in for one last computer flash update before the warranty expires and I have to start paying for it. We have an older 2018 GC Overland that is reaching 80,000 miles so I was interested in seeing what Jeep has to offer. The salesdude was quick to point out the GC Hybrid which resulted in a quick no way that's happening. So the only engine option for 2024 moving forward is the Pentastar 6 and again, that ain't happening either. Chrysler/Fiat is phasing out V-8s and moving towards twin turbos (EcoBoost) and EVs.

Once SRT was finished with its software updates I stopped by the BMW place. There is an X3 M40i calling my name.

Done with Jeep.
Going from a Jeep to a BMW? You must not value your money the same as I do. They are both money pits, but BMW is the king of money pits.

Interesting opinion but not one that I can relate to. I've had five Jeep Grand Cherokees since the new body style in 2012. The only thing I have ever replaced on one is a battery. No service issues and have only put oil and fuel in mine. The 2018 did get some new sparkalators at 35K but beyond that nothing, zero, zilch, nada.

In comparison and the reason why I switched to Jeep was my two Chevy Tahoes had nothing but problems and I swore to never buy GM anything again.

And since everything is paid for on a BMW for 4 years, you will need to educate me on all the money I will possibly be spending on it. Again, that doesn't quite add up to the facts.

Pretty much this.^^^^^^^

I have driven Jeep GCs since 1996, several iterations, and never had more than regular maintenance. My wife has had four BMW X3s since 2004. None have required more than standard maintenance. I got her the 2023 model six months ago, and it is a sophisticated revelation. Best Beemer yet.

I really like how people talk through their ass about vehicles the never owned. And most of you don’t even do the normal maintenance. Y’all think oil changes are enough.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 12/28/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Jeep = Heap (of junk)

You couldn't give me one

Smart man here.

Dodge/Chrysler began building disposable vehicles in 1980 as a part of their marketing ploy. Purchase of any of their products is an exercise in futility.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We had a 2009 Wrangler with a manual that we traded for a CRV when I got reassigned to ATL in 2013 for a year. Traded the CRV in on another Wrangler (2016), this time with an auto, which we still own. Both of mine have been 2 doors, and I think they're great. It has a shorter turning radius than just about any other vehicle on the market, gets decent (20) mileage, rides fairly rough, not particularly quiet, and will go anywhere any sane human would want to go in a vehicle. Probably not the vehicle of choice for a cross country interstate vacation, but it is a sleeper as an urban and suburban assault vehicle. We don't need it, with a Chevy Duramax diesel crew cab, and a Mercedes suv. But neither of us seem inclined to get rid of it anytime soon. I'm not a fan of any of the other Jeeps.

Last edited by bludog; 12/29/23.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Paid $500...

BEAT THE LIVING HELL OUT OF IT FOR 3 YEARS...

Let kids paint it at our annual oyster roast... distraction kinda thing... while the adults drank... and ates oysters.

Traded it for three pallets of ammo can and a bunch of AR-500.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone ought to own a Jeep during their lifetime.

Everyone wants or has wanted one.

I've had 3. They were decent. But after getting rid of my last one, and realizing that you can actually drive down the highway in a vehicle and hear someone sitting next to you talk without humongous road noise whiting them out, I determined that that was my last Jeep.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by badger
The BMW gurus here need to share their opinions with the 8 BMW's that I own, as they are clearly bucking a trend here. 5 of them are complimentary loaner vehicles for my customers. The "youngest" loaner has about 130k miles on it, the most senior one has almost 270k. The loaners are driven like they were stolen, and yet with proper maintenance, they just keep on going. Of the 3 that live in my garage, I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them and drive across country (Weather permitting). I wouldn't drive my 1985 M635Csi in the snow.

I guess when you take care of things, they take care of you.

I'm clearly just lucky..........

You mean just run it to Jiffy Lube every 10k and rotate tires ? grin I doubt very few people read their owners manual these days except to set the driving controls.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Backroads
lol, never trumper leaves Jeep for BMW
Did you check with your boyfriend first?

Is the OP a never Trumper? If so that would explain his pisspoor choice in vehicles.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Jeep = Heap (of junk)

You couldn't give me one

Smart man here.

Dodge/Chrysler began building disposable vehicles in 1980 as a part of their marketing ploy. Purchase of any of their products is an exercise in futility.

Yep...I had one! One of Lee Iacoca's K cars. My first experience in owning a disposable car.....I replaced pistons in it twice before waking up.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I was done with Jeep after one quick 5 month experiment. lol. We had a 2021 GC and that was enough.

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
We had a 1984 Cherokee, with the 2.8, drove it and towed a pop-up trailer, all around the West. Bought it with about 60,000 miles and sold it with 160,000 miles on it. Only issue was a water pump.

Then bought a 1995, with the 4.0, with about 50,000 on it and sold it with about 150,000 miles on it. One water pump and a distributor.

Then bought a 2012 Liberty with the 3.7, which had about 50,000 miles on it, just sold it this year with 100,000 on it. Replaced the A/C blend door motor on it.

Then, we bought a 2022 Wrangler with the 2.0 Turbo, and 12,500 miles on the clock. It overheated on the prior owner and warped the head and block. We got a brand new long block in it, courtesy the warranty, and now has 18,000 miles on it.

I find Jeeps to be very reliable.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My wife’s 2020 GC has been trouble free so far. About 60000 miles. My 6.2 Chevy pickup with under 70000 just cost me 5000 for an engine lifter repair.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Originally Posted by dale06
I gave up on Jeep after owning one Cherokee in the 90s. Long story not worth sharing.

I'm in the same boat--except mine was a CJ 5

SAME on a Cherokee. Last POS I'll ever buy from Jeep.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a 83 Cj 7 straight six… summer / beach vehicle that runs great.. not fond of the new ones, In my opinion there are better options in that price range.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
If you think Jeeps and BMW are bad try Volvo ,just went for a state inspection only 45k miles on her need to replace a broken coil spring,timing belt+ tension pulley,bushings and brakes all four $5200.00
I WILL STICK WITH MY FORDS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by garddogg56
If you think Jeeps and BMW are bad try Volvo ,just went for a state inspection only 45k miles on her need to replace a broken coil spring,timing belt+ tension pulley,bushings and brakes all four $5200.00
I WILL STICK WITH MY FORDS

Let me see if I'm getting this...

the STATE tells you when you have to get car repairs?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1lesfox, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,649
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.