Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Steyr safe bolt system hands down. For all intents and purposes, a 4 position safety.
Plus you can latch the mag in one notch below where the bolt can pick up and feed a cartridge.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going with M77 Mk-II.

the safest bolt gun safety question implies that you are carrying/hunting hot. A lot of virtue signalers here say they only put one in the pipe when they are ready to shoot - probably the same ones who have one in the chamber when out duck hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by las
Empty chamber until shooting is imminent.

Following that I like 3 position.

I have 2 of them, among a few guns- a 725 and now a M70. Don't mind my 77 tangers tho - I stay more aware if I'm using them, the 98, or the 700.

When jump shooting elk in the dark timber, empty chamber doesn't work. Just keep the safety on, control the muzzle, finger on trigger guard. Point, sight picture, safety off, shoot. Worked for me for 40 years

Exactly.. Those shots require you to be ready in a split seconds notice. Those that have never BTDT, wouldn't have a clue.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Chamber round when ready would be my first choice but sometimes stealth requires otherwise. With a round in the chamber, I enjoy hunting with the Blaser R8 system best. Just have to quietly move the cocking slide into position when ready. A 3 position would be my next preferred and two position my last at least for rifles I own.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Steyr safe bolt no doubt. No way to bump it off.

Last edited by smithrjd; 12/31/23. Reason: spelling
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by las
Empty chamber until shooting is imminent.

Following that I like 3 position.

I have 2 of them, among a few guns- a 725 and now a M70. Don't mind my 77 tangers tho - I stay more aware if I'm using them, the 98, or the 700.

When jump shooting elk in the dark timber, empty chamber doesn't work. Just keep the safety on, control the muzzle, finger on trigger guard. Point, sight picture, safety off, shoot. Worked for me for 40 years

Exactly.. Those shots require you to be ready in a split seconds notice. Those that have never BTDT, wouldn't have a clue.
Actually, plenty have and do have a clue... ever followed bears into alder patches? I will stop "virtue signaling" if you will.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I’m not sure we’ve had o d of these threads all year.

Finally!!

Let’s change some minds!!
🤪😂

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alright, you guys intrigued me on this Steyr bolt system. Looked it up, watch a video or two, and still don't know, or see a provision that would allow, if it locks the firing pin so it's impossible for it to fall, like a Mauser, Springfield, or M70 does.

So, does it?

Thanks,
Rex

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Maybe some of the Pa guys will check in, but I’ve been hunting for 60 years and I don’t recall anyone ever hunting with an empty chamber

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Maybe some of the Pa guys will check in, but I’ve been hunting for 60 years and I don’t recall anyone ever hunting with an empty chamber

I grew up in PA and hunted whitetails until I moved out. When walking I never chambered a round, neither did anyone else in our party. When we found a spot to sit, round chambered.

Would you feel totally comfortable having someone walk behind you in rugged terrain with a round in their chamber?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I carry empty when I’m able, but with Blacktail blood on a guy in certain places one in the chamber is nice piece of mind when you can’t see ten feet ahead of you, Or when you return to base camp sheep hunting to resupply and a bear has rolled the whole camp into a ball but your all of your friends are 4 miles away… I'm not carrying empty. Guess I’m not that brave , lol

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I grew up in PA and hunted whitetails until I moved out. When walking I never chambered a round, neither did anyone else in our party. When we found a spot to sit, round chambered.

Would you feel totally comfortable having someone walk behind you in rugged terrain with a round in their chamber?

i'm in PA and i have not heard that either.

Last edited by tdoyka; 12/31/23.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
First place: Weatherby Mark V followed by 1917 Enfield & Remington 725.

Last edited by RinB; 01/01/24.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have shot whitetails from Connecticut to Washington and Michigan to Texas and a bunch of states between in all sorts of cover... no magic uncovered...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've hunted the islands of Kodiak, Afognak, Knight, Green, Montague, Hinchinbrook and multiple units on the mainland for deer, elk, black bear, brown bear, sheep, mt. goat and moose since the 80's

Physically ... out hunting in the field... without a round in the chamber is simpleton stupidity

Digest that as you will

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swamplord
I've hunted the islands of Kodiak, Afognak, Knight, Green, Montague, Hinchinbrook and multiple units on the mainland for deer, elk, black bear, brown bear, sheep, mt. goat and moose since the 80's

Physically ... out hunting in the field... without a round in the chamber is simpleton stupidity

Digest that as you will
Considering the source, it came predigested...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mosin Nagant 91-30. I can see the cold chamber thing out west where game is mostly seen at a distance but in the east I don’t know any who hunt cold. Seems strange that in the same areas you would bird hunt hot you would deer hunt cold?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't think it matters for the most part. A good 2 position safety that locks the bolt is fine. Remington got a bad rap for unintentional discharges, but the problem was in the trigger, not the safety. I have both Winchester 70's and Tikka's. Can live with the safety on either.

Hot or cold chamber depends for me. I've taught hunter safety courses since 1986. They don't recommend cold chambers as a general rule. They do teach that you unload the chamber when crossing a ditch, fence or any time you're walking in rugged terrain where a fall is more likely.

I primarily hunt here in GA, but have hunted in the western states a few times. I think the terrain, and the way you hunt in the west is going to be conducive to keeping a cold chamber more often than in the east.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
the best feature of the M1917 safety is - it can be engaged with the rifle uncocked. This was pointed out to me years ago on a day long elk dragging session,

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
US Rifle of 1917, later utilized on the Remington Model 30 Express. No brush patch, no tumble, ever defeated this safety...yet it's fast and can be quiet.

That is my favorite. And no, I don't hunt on an empty chamber.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Same here BSA!

If I’m actually hunting, the rifle is in my hands at all times….. in which the safety being “changed” from safety all the way to fire position is highly unlikely. Plus, the safety position is checked often…..I’m not complacent about the safety!

If the rifle is on my shoulder, a rare occasion, the chamber is empty. Carrying the rifle on the shoulder, limits the ability to maintain complete safety control! JMO memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,065
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.