-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're in a situation where for some reason you have to have a round chambered then it's hard to beat the Blaser safety/cocker/decocker system.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by las
Empty chamber until shooting is imminent.

Following that I like 3 position.

I have 2 of them, among a few guns- a 725 and now a M70. Don't mind my 77 tangers tho - I stay more aware if I'm using them, the 98, or the 700.

When jump shooting elk in the dark timber, empty chamber doesn't work. Just keep the safety on, control the muzzle, finger on trigger guard. Point, sight picture, safety off, shoot. Worked for me for 40 years

Exactly.. Those shots require you to be ready in a split seconds notice. Those that have never BTDT, wouldn't have a clue.
Actually, plenty have and do have a clue... ever followed bears into alder patches? I will stop "virtue signaling" if you will.

So you have followed bear into an alder patch with an unloaded gun?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Had a rem 700, had the safety checked by a rem gunsmith as they recommended. Day later it misfired upon closing the bolt. Sold it and bought Sako 3 position safety, good or not the sako's have been trouble free and only fire when the trigger is pulled.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok, guess I'll add my 2cents worth, as I'm always carrying a round in the Chamber, but the Rifle is not Cocked, I guess you could say my Granddad showed me this Trick about 60 yrs +/- now, this was his De-Cock way back when, and this will work with any Bolt-Action Rifle.... cry
Sequence of Operation, and pay attention to this Sequence....
1st Open the Bolt and Load your Magazine, Dis-Regard this is you have a Removable Magazine....
2nd Insert your last Round in the Chamber.....
Again Pay attention, 1st Pull the Trigger Back and Hold it, and then Close the Bolt and push it down......
Ok, your ready to go.....
Now, when the time comes that you might be ready to Shoot, just reach down and JUST LIFT the BOLT-UP, and Push it back-down, your Locked and Loaded, pull the Trigger when Ready, and if you decide that you are not pulling the Trigger at this time, Lift the Bolt back-up, DO-NOT Pull the Bolt Back, just Pull and Hold the Trigger Back as you Re-Close the Bolt, Easy-Peasy, I'm 74 this year, and been doing for EVER, don't need to stinking safety...... cry
Lj cool

And as far as the Firing-Pin Resting on a Live-Primer, I just looked at several of my Rifles, and Yea, you can see the Firing-Pin, but it is somewhat recessed, and in no-way a determent.
Oh, and yea, this is the way we carried our Bolt Rifles in a Scabbard on Horse-Back..... and the Lever-Guns were carried the same way, but on Half-Cock.

Last edited by AK375DGR; 01/09/24. Reason: Clarity....

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like my horses too much to do that.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Letting the firing pin rest on the primer makes me shudder.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Most of the popular bolt actions I am familiar with...in the scenario you describe, the firing pin tip is resting on a live primer, with whatever remaining mainspring pressure there may be...if the cocking piece is exposed, I can see where you could get an accidental discharge by dropping the rifle.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Maybe some of the Pa guys will check in, but I’ve been hunting for 60 years and I don’t recall anyone ever hunting with an empty chamber

Never seen it in my life

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Maybe some of the Pa guys will check in, but I’ve been hunting for 60 years and I don’t recall anyone ever hunting with an empty chamber

I grew up in PA and hunted whitetails until I moved out. When walking I never chambered a round, neither did anyone else in our party. When we found a spot to sit, round chambered.

Would you feel totally comfortable having someone walk behind you in rugged terrain with a round in their chamber?

Yes. Done it that way ever since

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We make sure that someone else carries our ammo only doling 1 round at a time out when needed. We disassemble our rifles so that nobody sneaks a round in when we aren’t looking and we designate 1 guy to carry everyone’s bolts.

Safety first….😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
AK375DGR, the way you describe your method is also the way I store my gun at end of day.....takes pressure off the firing pin spring. Now if you do not want to have a round in the chamber, place like 3 rounds in the magazine and press down on the last round with your finger as you close the bolt. Just lift the bolt when ready to shoot ejecting a round into chamber.

Last edited by Winnie70; 01/09/24.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The only reason I can see to have a rifle loaded with an empty chamber is if you are in a state like CO that allows hunters to, have a loaded rifle in a vehicle driving around scouting so long as the chamber is empty, however, since I am from PA I would not do that. When I hunted antelope in CO my rifle was had a detachable magazine so I kept in in my pocket untill I got out of the truck and then inserted it, and jacked one into the chamber when the guide said to do so. When in Rome, do as the Romans but when I hunt in my home state as well as others with simalar laws when I get to my stand which is always in the dark and get in I load up and jack one in the chamber. When small game hunting I load up and jack one in the chamber after we get out of the vehicle and start hunting. Do you empty chamber guys wait until the pheasant flushes or the rabbit bolts from cover to jack a round in the chamber? What is the difference between hunting? None small game or big game when it comes to gun safety? None, nota, zip, zero! The number one rule of gun safety is never allow your firearm to be pointed at anything you do not intend to shoot. There is being safe and then there is being ridiculous. How many here carry an handgun under a license to carry and then don't load it untill you see trouble? Think about it!

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The safest safety I've ever come across, is the blr safety. On halfcock, it's typical.

But then you can hinge the hammer forward to protect the firing pin.

You could literally bash the hinged hammer, the rifle won't fire. It's a smart design.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
We make sure that someone else carries our ammo only doling 1 round at a time out when needed. We disassemble our rifles so that nobody sneaks a round in when we aren’t looking and we designate 1 guy to carry everyone’s bolts.

Safety first….😂

Snork, When thrashing the lodgepole thickets for elks, we always used older takedown rifles...took down of course. No elks were ever harmed accidentally, let alone nimrods. Safety first.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
The only reason I can see to have a rifle loaded with an empty chamber is if you are in a state like CO that allows hunters to, have a loaded rifle in a vehicle driving around scouting so long as the chamber is empty, however, since I am from PA I would not do that. When I hunted antelope in CO my rifle was had a detachable magazine so I kept in in my pocket untill I got out of the truck and then inserted it, and jacked one into the chamber when the guide said to do so. When in Rome, do as the Romans but when I hunt in my home state as well as others with simalar laws when I get to my stand which is always in the dark and get in I load up and jack one in the chamber. When small game hunting I load up and jack one in the chamber after we get out of the vehicle and start hunting. Do you empty chamber guys wait until the pheasant flushes or the rabbit bolts from cover to jack a round in the chamber? What is the difference between hunting? None small game or big game when it comes to gun safety? None, nota, zip, zero! The number one rule of gun safety is never allow your firearm to be pointed at anything you do not intend to shoot. There is being safe and then there is being ridiculous. How many here carry an handgun under a license to carry and then don't load it untill you see trouble? Think about it!
As you say to each their own. Our handguns are holstered and contained and concealed often and fully loaded. TOTALLY different than waving a long arm around.

I"ve yet to need to load a rifle that cost me an animal while hunting. again YMMV on that.

With a full mag, empty chamber the muzzle is out of play. I am demanding of muzzle control from others and especially as a guide. I also value my life and know how many times I"ve been swept by a barrel. Even if its just a sling rifle on a pack and a guy leans to step over a log or such. Its almost innocent in a way. Especially after say a 10 mile day of hiking and or being up all hours and very little sleep. So its much easier to keep it totally safe.

I suppose the day may come I loose my life to an empty chamber with a bear. But its never even been close so far. And I can chamber and fire that rifle faster than I can draw the loaded handgun.

I do hunt birds a bit and yes those shotguns are also loaded when we are actively shooting. Although I hunt a LOT with double barrel guns and those are open until the time to shoot when they are closed and shot.

Yup I see your point, but the need for a loaded rifle chamber is just not there and any time I can be safer I am.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From my standpoint a gun is always loaded.. treat as such!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok, guess I'll add my 2cents worth, as I'm always carrying a round in the Chamber, but the Rifle is not Cocked, I guess you could say my Granddad showed me this Trick about 60 yrs +/- now, this was his De-Cock way back when, and this will work with any Bolt-Action Rifle.... cry
Sequence of Operation, and pay attention to this Sequence....
1st Open the Bolt and Retract it.....
2nd Insert a Round in the Chamber.....
Again Pay attention, 1st Pull the Trigger Back and Hold it, and then Close the Bolt and push it down......
Ok, your ready to go.....
Now, when the time comes that you might be ready to Shoot, just reach down and JUST LIFT the BOLT-UP, and Push it back-down, your Locked and Loaded, pull the Trigger when Ready, and if you decide that you are not pulling the Trigger at this time, Lift the Bolt back-up, DO-NOT Pull the Bolt Back, just Pull and Hold the Trigger Back as you Re-Close the Bolt, Easy-Peasy, I'm 74 this year, and been doing for EVER, don't need to stinking safety...... cry
Lj cool

Oh, and yea, this is the way we carried our Bolt Rifles in a Scabbard on Horse-Back..... and the Lever-Guns were carried the same way, but on Half-Cock.

In doing so, wouldn't the firing pin be resting against the primer? There are many, many instances where I think this could be very dangerous.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
As you say to each their own. Our handguns are holstered and contained and concealed often and fully loaded. TOTALLY different than waving a long arm around.

I"ve yet to need to load a rifle that cost me an animal while hunting. again YMMV on that.

With a full mag, empty chamber the muzzle is out of play. I am demanding of muzzle control from others and especially as a guide. I also value my life and know how many times I"ve been swept by a barrel. Even if its just a sling rifle on a pack and a guy leans to step over a log or such. Its almost innocent in a way. Especially after say a 10 mile day of hiking and or being up all hours and very little sleep. So its much easier to keep it totally safe.

I suppose the day may come I loose my life to an empty chamber with a bear. But its never even been close so far. And I can chamber and fire that rifle faster than I can draw the loaded handgun.

I do hunt birds a bit and yes those shotguns are also loaded when we are actively shooting. Although I hunt a LOT with double barrel guns and those are open until the time to shoot when they are closed and shot.

Yup I see your point, but the need for a loaded rifle chamber is just not there and any time I can be safer I am.

Are you saying you walked around with a dbl barrel shotgun in the broken position until you are ready you shoot? I call bullsh*t. I cut my teeth hunting pheasants when they were plentiful and only an idiot would walk around with a broken shotgun. there is being safe and there is being stupid and then there is telling tales. I vote for the latter!

Last edited by oldtimr1; 01/09/24.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old timers did that too.. Much quicker to close gun than cock hammers which were carried pre-cocked with open action.

Thomas Jefferson

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by colorado
When jump shooting elk in the dark timber, empty chamber doesn't work. Just keep the safety on, control the muzzle, finger on trigger guard. Point, sight picture, safety off, shoot. Worked for me for 40 years

Finally, a Colorado guy gets it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.