-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I still hunt, I hunt alone. If the terrain is such that I might slip or fall, I suppose things would be different.
If I’m hiking with a hunting partner to a location to start hunting, that’s different.
If I’m on a hill side by my self glassing a valley, that’s different.
Quite frankly I rarely am hunting with someone close by.

If I have one in the chamber, I do so in certain circumstances. If someone has a problem with my gun safety, they have not mentioned it.

If I have a magazine full of ammo and the only way to empty the magazine short of taking the barreled action out of the stock. I will ensure the safety is engaged while I work the bolt. If I don’t chamber the round while emptying the magazine that’s different too.

A little common sense goes a long way.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tmitch
Letting the firing pin rest on the primer makes me shudder.

^^ me too and i won`t hunt with an idiot that does that ^^

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As to actual bolt rifles, a pre-64 Model 70 or original Mauser. Sharps SS.
Also pre-war Winchester lever rifles. (I have heard there other rifles made-don't own any.)
{Lever action Winchester /Browning rifles with tang/side non-John Browning original design safeties}
NOT-allowed in my portion of the National Forest.

Hunt by myself or with Apache /Half-a-gas- can natives

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have installed two of PT&Gs Rem 700 three position M70-style swing safeties on the two 700's I hunt with. I like having a safety that locks the firing pin on my hunting guns and it is nice to have the mid position to operate the bolt with the safety on when clearing the rifles.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by colorado
I have a BDL in 270 Win, bought in 1968. Probably has over 1000 days in the field more on the range. On it's 3rd barrel. Killed everything from marmots, to elk and bears with it. Never an issue. My son has it now, got his first elk with it about 7 years ago. He loves the gun as do I. So I bought myself a "new in the box" BDL in 7mm Rem Mag cause my son won't give me my 270 back lol. I believe the newer ones have had some QC issues. The late 60s through early 80s models were pretty damn good rifles.

Had one that was made in 1979 ( ADL ) in 06. That thing went off on me several times, when closing the bolt.

Let a friend use it and when he was unloading it in a parking lot in the field, it went off and hit the rear box on a brand new 1 ton Chevy 4 door 4WD dually pick up. Still had the temporary plates on it. The owner was climbing in the front door when the rifle went off. When my friend returned it to me, he virtually threw the rifle at me. Had a gunsmith replace it, but it still did the same thing several times on me.

I won't pass off a problem like that to someone else, by selling the rifle. I rebarreled it to a 6mm Rem, with a fast twist.
I carry it in the field still, and still own it. When I hunt with it, it is strictly a single shot. I don't close the bolt all the way until I'm ready to shoot it. Occasionally I carry it to the range, where it is Single Shot used.

I don't want it to be someone else's problem. That is just good ethics. And Yes it was sent back to Remington, but they didn't solve the problem either. no other Remington I've owned has been a problem.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I won a stainless Remington mod 70 when the gun going off when the bolt was closed was still news. I never took it out of the box m I traded it for a Kahh MK40 handgun.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know when this issue started or the bolt handles falling off. I don't disbelieve anyone. All I can say is I bought my BDL in 270 new in 1968. Hunted over many years with it some years 50 plus days per year. Hunted in Montana including the Bob Marshall Wilderness on horseback. Arizona south of Tucson. The Adirondacks. It never failed to function. Alway shot around .5 MOA and still does in my son's hands. Never lost an animal. Would it be my first choice for Alaskan brown bear, no. But if I won a Kodiak brown bear hunt under the condition I had to use it, wouldn't give me a minutes hesitation. I believe Remingtons quality control went down the toilet sometime in the 90s. I bought a Rem XCR II new in the box and had to have it fixed before I went hunting. I wouldn't buy another new one. Though I just bought a BDL in 7mm Rem Mag 1968 vintage. It's at Kevin Weavers getting the trigger adjusted to 2 3/4 lbs, a Decelerator recoil pad installed and my Leupold 3.5-10x50mm scope mounted Can't wait.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Bugger
When I still hunt, I hunt alone. If the terrain is such that I might slip or fall, I suppose things would be different.
If I’m hiking with a hunting partner to a location to start hunting, that’s different.

If I have one in the chamber, I do so in certain circumstances. If someone has a problem with my gun safety, they have not mentioned it.

If I have a magazine full of ammo and the only way to empty the magazine short of taking the barreled action out of the stock. I will ensure the safety is engaged while I work the bolt. If I don’t chamber the round while emptying the magazine that’s different too.

IE keeping the booger picker off the bang switch!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Cntrmass
Originally Posted by Bugger

IE keeping the booger picker off the bang switch!

Well, that's good too.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Empty chamber doesn't work for me. I like to still hunt and jump shoot elk in the black timber. Learned a long time ago. sight picture, safety off, then and only then does my finger come off the trigger guard and touch the trigger. Once the safety is off I've already decided to shoot.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
There are times a hot chamber is advisable, and times when it's just plain stupid, and times in between. I don't trust ANY mechanical safety, so pick your times to depend on one wisely.

If the one between your ears is functional, use that one, first.

Last edited by las; 03/10/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My dad always said an empty gun will kill you....tell my grandson that every one in a while.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Winnie70
My dad always said an empty gun will kill you....tell my grandson that every one in a while.

It's many years ago when I was in high school that a classmate friend of mine lost a younger brother, who was a twin of another brother, to a British carbine .303 stored in a closet with a live one in the chamber. I well recall the day as my friend was called out of school with the tragic news of his young brother's death.

It was the father's rifle for deer hunting and he never imagined any of the sons would touch it. There was another brother between my friend and the twins who had some mental issues. No parents at home that day, one of the twins (about 8 - 10 yrs old was ill and didn't go to school, so the other remained home with him. The next older brother with the issues came home from school for lunch. He somehow knew where dad kept the rifle, got it out (thinking it was "safe", aimed it at a wall and pulled the trigger. The bullet went through the wall into another room and hit the twin who stayed home with his sick brother in the stomach. He died within minutes! That was a severe shakeup to the whole community and the family never really got over it! And I believe that the young man who pulled the trigger was the one who least appreciated the full impact of what he'd done. The father, of course, grieved to his last breath!

This happened on a small Island on the east coast of Canada, in a fishing community. There were no ambulances, doctors or a hospital. I was a pallbearer for the funeral. I was 17 at the time and have never forgotten the aftermath of that tragedy.

It has been repeated here: "treat every gun as though it's loaded", and: " It's the empty ones that may kill you" (or someone you love)! Never ever let anyone hand you a firearm without the chamber being checked first!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 03/10/24.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
There are times a hot chamber is advisable, and times when it's just plain stupid, and times in between. I don't trust ANY mechanical safety, so pick your times to depend on one wisely.

If the one between your ears is functional, use that one, first.
exactly. The line I used teaching hunter/gun safety. A safety is a mechanical device that can and will fail. The only unknown is how many cycles it takes until failure.

I can't really recall the last time in Alaska that my rifle had a round in the chamber that the safety was on. I suppose the safety works on my rifles.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by colorado
When jump shooting elk in the dark timber, empty chamber doesn't work. Just keep the safety on, control the muzzle, finger on trigger guard. Point, sight picture, safety off, shoot. Worked for me for 40 years

This…

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using the firing pin blocking 3 position Win. Mod. 70 safety for over 60 years of Alaskan hunting. None of them have ever failed me.

Using the middle safety position to field strip the bolt with out tools is a benefit. The older models also have the worlds best big game "hunting trigger" in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any system that blocks the firing pin.

1Minute
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by CZ550
It's many years ago when I was in high school that a classmate friend of mine lost a younger brother, who was a twin of another brother, to a British carbine .303 stored in a closet with a live one in the chamber………

I don’t have to concern myself with such tragedies, unless I get called to serve on the jury………which, of course, would never happen. I’ve never made it through jury selection in my life. The lawyers see it in my eyes like a neon sign.

Sorry for the loss. That’s a hard one.

NRA Life Endowment Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used almost every type of safety still in use. Never had an unintended discharge so really can’t say one is better than all the others. I have found they all do the job as long as used as intended. I do have a couple of favorites. The CZ 550 3 position forward off safety being one but my absolute favorite is the old Ruger tang slide safety as on my Ruger 77 RSI. Works just like a shotgun safety of which I am well aquainted. The hardest for me to use was the Japanese arisaka twist knob style. Once I got used to it it worked fine just difficult for me to manipulate.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Winnie70

An empty chamber can NEVER kill you.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.