-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Low class. See kids on the sidewalks complete with their blankies, slippers, and Teddy bear in hand.

Had a discussion with my own kid (33 yrs). Not allowed to smoke in our home so on a visit he wandered out to our front porch in his PJ's to light up. Obviously, I don't care for the smoking, but we are not doing PJ's in our front yard. If that's the dress of choice, he'll be in back of our home where no one will see him.

Such seems to the be the uniform down in our community's subsidized housing. Maybe it's an economic deal. Probably $3.00 a set at the local thrift store.

1Minute

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A holiday or family day is for casual comfort - warm and toasty for today.

At this point, normally go for seasonal comfort and suitable for current activity - except those times to dress respectfully.

Rarely work in stuff that matters much - never wear shorts.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clothes are a lot more casual these days. When I was a kid all the boys and men wore a coat and tie to church. None of the women wore pants, dresses only. Still that way at the Pentecostals. I just left church and the only one with a coat or tie was the preacher. The church I used to attend the preacher never wore a suit or tie.

I remember a wool suit that tortured me as a kid. Church seemed 5 hours long.

In federal or state court no one seems to wear anything but casual clothes except for the lawyers.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't worn pajamas since I was a kid. I wear undies to bed. I do have a robe so when I stay at other people places I can slip it on in the night if I have to use the bathroom. I don't want to be walking around in someone hallway in just my undies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Clothes are a lot more casual these days. When I was a kid all the boys and men wore a coat and tie to church. None of the women wore pants, dresses only. Still that way at the Pentecostals. I just left church and the only one with a coat or tie was the preacher. The church I used to attend the preacher never wore a suit or tie.

In federal or state court no one seems to wear anything but casual clothes except for the lawyers.
Society is what thought up the dressing up to attend church.

Betting 2000 years ago those ol boys were looking worse than any homeless dude on the street these days.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
hell look at the way NFL coaches on sidelines dress now-a-days. compared to how they dressed 15 years ago. now it is hoodies and loose sweats, then it was a suit and tie as it should be
Odd. I don't recall a coach in suit and tie on the sidelines in the last 40+ years.

I rememebr Switzer always in a suit, Same with Paterno

I don’t think I ever seen a picture of Tom Landry not in a suit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85
hell look at the way NFL coaches on sidelines dress now-a-days. compared to how they dressed 15 years ago. now it is hoodies and loose sweats, then it was a suit and tie as it should be
Odd. I don't recall a coach in suit and tie on the sidelines in the last 40+ years.

I rememebr Switzer always in a suit, Same with Paterno

I don’t think I ever seen a picture of Tom Landry not in a suit.
And I never saw Switzer in a suit. Shirt with a collar at most.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/31/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Puddle
Back during one of the many hiring booms in the software industry, I was handed a developer who turned out to be quite the party girl.
Quite a few days a week she would just barely drag herself into the office in time for a team meeting, and definitely looking the worse for wear.

But the day she showed up in full pajama attire is the day she and I had a one-on-one and she subsequently left the company "seeking other opportunities".

The VP's niece showed up at work one day wearing bunny slippers and sweat pants. Had to talk to her and then talk to him about her

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That’s about how it was at the church that I grew up in. The kids didn’t wear suits but nearly all of the men did. It didn’t matter if they worked in a factory or owned a janitorial company and had no need for a suit. They still wore a suit to church and the woman wore dresses.

I like to dress a little better for church than day to day but do not own a suit. Church today means my good boots and newer Carhartt pants or good jeans with a button down shirt which is pretty standard for most of the men. Really getting fancy is dress pants and dress shoes. I wouldn’t wear joggers or flip flops and shorts but that’s just my own ideas of what I want to wear and how I want to show respect. Clothes a little better than my regular work clothes or what I wear around the house.

This has been an interesting thread. Lots of ideas and none of it’s really right or wrong. I maintain my home and my neighbors aren’t paying my bills. I couldn’t care less what the neighbors see me wearing when I’m taking out the trash. As long as I’m not in my birthday suit. I don’t care if they see me wearing a business suit, a leisure suit, a sweatsuit, or a swimsuit.

Having said that I think it’s cool when someone likes to go old school and always look their best. That’s never a wrong call if you’re inclined to do it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Betting 2000 years ago those ol boys were looking worse than any homeless dude on the street these days.

But, I’m betting they tried to do their best……whatever their best was. That’s what counts! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb

But, I’m betting they tried to do their best……whatever their best was. That’s what counts! memtb

Yep.

I believe in showing respect by going out of my way to wear something a little better than I usually would otherwise. I don’t believe that I need to buy suits or other dress clothes that I otherwise have no need for. If someone wants to do that or already has those clothes for their line of work and does it with a humble attitude that’s cool too.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I usually get dressed before leaving the bedroom in the morning. My wife generally goes down for coffee in her robe, then gets dressed if she needs to go out to work. If she's working from home, she usually just goes into her office and gets to work. Some days she works in her bathrobe until dinner time. Neither of us leave the house in anything like sweatpants or pajama bottoms,

Around here, at least the churches we go to, people dress up for church. Most of the men wear coats and ties. TRhe women usually wear dresses.

My last job, before we moved down here, was running the machine shop portion of a small, custom manufacturing operation. I couldn't believe I had to set a few of the young guys straight on the fact that in a shop with machinery with revolving spindles, with heavy steel and aluminum components being handled, and with torch cutting and various welding operations going on, you don't wear baggy sweatpants, sweatshirts and sneakers (or Crocs!).

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I remembered reading a book by Charles Conerly( a Mississippian, former NY Giants? quarterback and the original Marlboro Man). Dress for Sucess. After a successful football career, he became a much sought after male model. He would change clothes 3 or more times per day and shave at least 2X. Taught me how to buy a navy blue blazer and use differing colors of pants and button down Oxford cloth shirts and ties to make a completely different look. It served me well as a school administrator. As one trainer from the State Dept of Ed some folks get in front of a classroom looking like they come out of a pea patch! If you want respect, do your part. Wife and I dress up for church and doctor appointments. Of course it’s been said that Delta folks wear pearls to the supermarket. In the Billy Graham biography, the family wore their finest clothes all day long on the Lord’s Day. MIL used to say dress for your station in life. I do know that if teens attend a prom, everyone tends to act better if dressed up. I’m old school and like to dress up. Last 4 years as asst superintendent of Ed, I had to drive a bus route. I still dressed up with khakis, shirt/ tie but wore
overalls to protect my good clothes. You can dressl on a budget or one salary. Buy clothing on sale, off season, utilize thrift and consignment shops. I did and taught my minister son how to. Our Salvation Army thrift gets pressed starched pants from dry cleaning stores who donate them to the Army when not picked up. Designer ties are a Buck I find Dockers, Orvis, LL Bean and Land’s End stuff there. Used to be several garment factories in the state before NAFDA. Most operated a factory store where they sold over production and seconds. One in AR sold Tilley flop hats for under $5 Got all 3 sons one. Online has clothing bargains too.

Last edited by carrollco; 12/31/23. Reason: Spelling
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hell, I've killed deer in lounge pants. I put on a 3-piece tweed to roll the trash out and a tuxedo to roger the old lady.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
No, but I also haven't been to a range in almost a decade now.

You are no longer "Home on the Range"

Yuk, yuk, yuk.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Low class. See kids on the sidewalks complete with their blankies, slippers, and Teddy bear in hand.

Had a discussion with my own kid (33 yrs). Not allowed to smoke in our home so on a visit he wandered out to our front porch in his PJ's to light up. Obviously, I don't care for the smoking, but we are not doing PJ's in our front yard. If that's the dress of choice, he'll be in back of our home where no one will see him.

Such seems to the be the uniform down in our community's subsidized housing. Maybe it's an economic deal. Probably $3.00 a set at the local thrift store.

Does he still wear footies?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The schiat people get riled up about lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So is it more acceptable to spend all day today in pajamas and robe -- or tomorrow?

I think I know what you'll say.
I say boaf. I'm going to the gym tomorrow morning so I will get out of my PJ's and into my gym clothes and when I get home tomorrow I will stay in my gym clothes. Because I can since they are almost like PJ's.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a day off I will usually wake up in flannel pj pants and a t-shirt but I’m generally changing into BDU pants after breakfast. Shirt for the day is dependent on weather, but it’s generally a button up fishing shirt or canvas shirt.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So is it more acceptable to spend all day today in pajamas and robe -- or tomorrow?

I think I know what you'll say.

It is de rigueur on both Sundays and holidays to slop about in your oldest most comfortable clothes...bonus style points if they have rips and tears, with the winning ensemble invariably having the seat out of the pants.

Note that the use of any garment under five years of age disqualifies you.

What can I say...I am a style whore!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.