Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve had the “no beans” chili when I was in Texas years ago and I know down south it’s a big deal not to put beans in chili for some folks. And in some cases the debate can lead to fist fights and separate families. So, I’m looking for a tried and true no beans chili start to finish. Pretty please😆

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve made this, skipping the beans and liked it quite well.

Hank Shaw hasn’t let me down yet with his recipes.

https://honest-food.net/venison-chili-recipe/

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Craigster

I'll second this recipe for a start if you enjoy red chile as opposed to green.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Awesome. Thanks fellas.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You won't be disappointed if you like chili.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the Meat Church Texas Chili recipe. Great with venison.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Legit red Chile con carne is actually a very simple recipe, and Also simply the best to my mind. It requires very few ingredients, there are no beans or tomatoes or peppers involved.
Browned cubed or very coarsely ground meat, fistful of finely chopped onion and almost equal part of fine chopped garlic added to browning meat .
Red Chile powder and liquid, water or some use chicken stock. I use my mother's old recipe and use reconstituted red Chile pods put thru the blender and then thru a sieve to remove pieces of skin and seeds. Let it simmer for an hour or three and your good to go.
Salt and pepper and dash of cumin and you've got the real deal.

Last edited by JefeMojado; 01/01/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
this recipe of mine has won a number of chili cook offs. There is some work involved, but the end product is worth it
Chili. No beans, no tomatoes

Two pounds NY Strip Steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, lightly salted
(Venison works fine )
Two tablespoons lard
2 cups beef broth
Two fresh Poblano peppers
8 fresh red chili peppers
4 dried Chili Mulato peppers
4 dried Guajillo peppers
10 dried Chile Arbol
4 dried California peppers (Anaheim)
1 medium white onion, fine diced
4 cloves garlic, fine diced
1 teaspoon Penzy's ground Cumin
2 teaspoon Penzy's medium chili powder
2 teaspoon Penzy's Mexican Oregano
1/4 cup masa harina corn flour

Using a cast iron pot, melt the lard over medium high heat. Add in the cubed beef, and sear on one side only. Remove from the heat, add in the diced garlic and onion, and the beef broth.
Place in a 225F oven for two hours, stirring once or twice.
Remove from the oven, and place the pot on a low heat burner. Add in the rest of the ingredients, stir well, and simmer for another hour.

The dried peppers should be seeded, and cut into large pieces. Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle, and place the peppers on it. Heat on high for a minute or two per side, but do NOT BURN the peppers. Use no oil.
Place the peppers in a bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 20 or so minutes. Place the peppers and the water into a blender. Pulse several times. Do not reduce to a puree. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pepper pieces from the liquid, and add to the chili. Add the liquid as needed to the chili, to make sure the chili does not dry out when cooking.

Mix some of the liquid from the chili into the masa harina. Add this back to the chili until you get the consistency you want.

Sam......

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by Craigster

I'll second this recipe for a start if you enjoy red chile as opposed to green.

Green chili is not chili, it's chili verde.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
this recipe of mine has won a number of chili cook offs. There is some work involved, but the end product is worth it
Chili. No beans, no tomatoes

Two pounds NY Strip Steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, lightly salted
(Venison works fine )
Two tablespoons lard
2 cups beef broth
Two fresh Poblano peppers
8 fresh red chili peppers
4 dried Chili Mulato peppers
4 dried Guajillo peppers
10 dried Chile Arbol
4 dried California peppers (Anaheim)
1 medium white onion, fine diced
4 cloves garlic, fine diced
1 teaspoon Penzy's ground Cumin
2 teaspoon Penzy's medium chili powder
2 teaspoon Penzy's Mexican Oregano
1/4 cup masa harina corn flour

Using a cast iron pot, melt the lard over medium high heat. Add in the cubed beef, and sear on one side only. Remove from the heat, add in the diced garlic and onion, and the beef broth.
Place in a 225F oven for two hours, stirring once or twice.
Remove from the oven, and place the pot on a low heat burner. Add in the rest of the ingredients, stir well, and simmer for another hour.

The dried peppers should be seeded, and cut into large pieces. Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle, and place the peppers on it. Heat on high for a minute or two per side, but do NOT BURN the peppers. Use no oil.
Place the peppers in a bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 20 or so minutes. Place the peppers and the water into a blender. Pulse several times. Do not reduce to a puree. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pepper pieces from the liquid, and add to the chili. Add the liquid as needed to the chili, to make sure the chili does not dry out when cooking.

Mix some of the liquid from the chili into the masa harina. Add this back to the chili until you get the consistency you want.

FYI, looks good but the founder of Penzeys hates Trump amd anyone who votes for him. Shop elsewhere.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/penzeys-spice-company-republicans-threat-country-jan-6

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He can go fuck himself.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
2 alarm Chili kit from.the.grocery store is the best recipe for chili I have had. I measured all of the.spices in the.little packets and wrote it down. I don't add the salt.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Can you post your comeuppance?

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Skip adding the kidney beans and this is what you want. I make it both ways, with beans and without. This guy also has a great wild game cookbook. I bought his cookbook and had it autographed years ago, when the Dallas Safari Club convention used to me held at Market Hall. I still use it regularly and highly recommend that folks look for it and buy it..

Red Game Chili
By executive chef, John Schumacher

Serves 6- 8
Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs. ground game meat
3 cups diced onion
2 cups sliced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups diced tomatoes w/juice (canned diced tomatoes)
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup dry red wine (cabernet sauvignon or merlot)
1 Tbsp beef base (this is a little jar of paste you find at the grocery store)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cinnamon
3 cups canned kidney beans, drained (optional)

For serving:
Garnish with shredded swiss cheese, sour cream
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add meat, garlic, onions and celery. Cook until meat is browned. Add remaining ingredients, except kidney beans, and cover.
Bake in a 350°F oven for 1 ½ hours. Add kidney beans (if desired), combine and bake for 1 more hour. Adjust chili powder or red pepper flakes to taste. (This is not going to have a thick sauce.)
Note:
Feel free to experiment by adding chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, jalapeno’s etc. to the ingredients.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LOL.
Anything that has Celery in it shouldn’t be called CHILI. 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
JFC.......1 small tablespoon of chile powder, the most important ingredient I might add, in that long list of crap that should never see the inside of a chile pot. Call it bean soup, chile bean stew, but to call it red chile is laughable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FYI, looks good but the founder of Penzeys hates Trump amd anyone who votes for him. Shop elsewhere.
from Timber runner

yeah, but the recipe predates Trump AND Bill Penzey. Use whatever spice brand you want.

Sam......

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
JFC.......1 small tablespoon of chile powder, the most important ingredient I might add, in that long list of crap that should never see the inside of a chile pot. Call it bean soup, chile bean stew, but to call it red chile is laughable.

I don't like the Chili powder overloaded chili recipes. It drowns out so many of the other nuanced flavors.

Don't knock it until you try it. Give this recipe a try as your base and then tweak it to your liking. People rave about it whenever I serve it. The little hint of cinnamon and the red wine is what most people comment about.

It says later in the cooking process (adjust chili powder, red pepper, salt and black pepper to taste). I typically add a second tablespoon of Chili powder at that time, (I use the dark chili powder). I also add one 4 oz. can of Ortega Fire Roasted Mild Diced Green Chiles in the original ingredients. Sometimes I'll substitute the little can of green chiles with a can of chipotle in adobo or diced jalapeno's.

I highly recommend serving it with the swiss cheese. There's also an "Alpine Cheese Blend" that I get at my local Kroger, it's a mix of swiss and gruyere cheeses that I use if it's available,

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It looks light on cumin as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.