Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My best in a CZ 452 and a BSA International MKIII has been Federal Ultra match, I believe that it is RWS ammo. Have two bricks left and it is no longer made.. Have done well with SK Match and Wolf Match as well. Tried Eley but not as good and much more $$.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A tale strictly for amusement purposes. Many years back I bought a Vickers Special Grade II 1928 Special. It was represented by the seller as a super accurate rifle, which it never was with me at the helm. Enter an old! English gentleman emigrant I met. He had a mantel loaded with 'miniature rifle club' trophies. I related my tale of woe with the Vickers Special. He told me that it was a proper English rifle and it demanded proper English feeding. At his insistence, I bought the required Eley Tenex, cleaned the bore of the 'pollution of that foreign ammunition' (Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match) and fired 20 or so to season the bore...and bingo...she was competing with the 52B's. The old gentleman claimed that Eley still used beeswax and tallow, the only lube that doesn't cook or build up as round count goes up and he claimed that Vickers had cut the chamber to fit the Tenex...perhaps so.
It'll never be an Anschutz...but it is amazing to see what a nearly century old rifle can do with fodder it likes.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
The only rifle I have that is close to a target rifle is a Kimber HS. That rifle along with a KDF K22, a Mauser 201, a custom Rem. 581/541, a Sako Quad, and a Kimber Classic, all love RWS subsonic. SK Standard, RWS R50, Wolf Target Match, and PMC Moderators. Since most of my rimfire rifles are catered towards hunting, I lean real heavily towards the RWS Subsonic since they are hollow points.
And like many here I have many different types of 22lr. ammo, finding it fun to see how each rifle shoots them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My Springfield 1922 M2 and my Anschutz 64 Stutzen will put 50 rounds of CCI Std. Velocity into one ragged hole @ 100yds. which is plenty good enough for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
T/C Contender Carbine
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

50 yards for both.

10/22

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
That's one of the reasons why I stopped shooting Wolf Match. Not only is it the dirtiest ammo it is caked in lube. Now I use the 500 round bricks as a doorstop.

Thanks buddy. However I've seen more lube on the Norma Tac22 ammo. That stuff is greezy!!! In cold (below freezing), that lube gets real sticky and starts affecting groups and even velocity as well. No bueno here. If you lived closer, I'd trade you a real doorstop for that Wolf match target ammo you have. ha ha..

PM me your address and I will ship you my Wolf. I can always find a new doorstop.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Just thinking out loud...

Have we reached the apex of what we can expect from the .22 LR - and in particular the bullets to which it is limited? I know there is always room for improvement but even the most accurate ammo possible is still going to shoot a ballistically inefficient bullet at a low velocity.

Would we be better off putting some major development into something like the new 21 Sharp? I've never owned a .17 caliber rimfire but by all accounts, run of the mill .17 caliber rifles outshoot similar .22's by a good bit and especially as the range increases. A faster bullet with a much better BC that loses velocity at a much lower rate will always be less affected by wind.

In a perfectly windless environment good .22 LR ammo in excellent barrels can certainly show incredible one hole accuracy, but outside of that (literally outside) environmental factors will always be more detrimental to less ballistically efficient projectiles.

My long winded point here is that instead of relying on esoteric efforts to create results that are greatly affected by factors outside of our control (the art of reading the wind vs. the science of bullet and rifle technology), could we not see a major leap forward by by simply changing the bullet that a .22 LR case can shoot?

Food for thought.

I would say that there's always room for improvement. Had the shooters and ammo makers of 100 years ago thrown their hands up and said "this is as good as it can get" we'd be in a fix today. But, I doubt we'll see over the next 100 years the same dramatic increase in quality/accuracy that we've seen over the last 100 years. Ammo makers have spent a sh*t ton of money to develop what we now have (probably not out of kindness toward we shooters but as a means of profiting more than their competitors - always follow the money). Subtle changes in bullet shape, lead alloy, lube, cases, powder, priming compounds, etc. have served to move us forward. How much is left in that pot I don't know.

As for better BC bullets for the .22LR case, and different calibers, etc. yeah, I think that's where we'll see the most improvement. But along with new ideas about ammo there has to be attendant changes in the equipment that shoots it. I'll submit that the current .22LR match ammo is about as optimal as you can get for the bores/chambers/throats of the guns we shoot it in. Will more ballistically efficient bullets demand changes in said barrels, etc.? Undoubtedly. And will such revolutionary changes in ammo & gear demand revolutionary changes in how we approach the game, yeah probably again. That all spells money - money that ammo companies has to spend, and money we'll have to spend to get on the bandwagon - and to that end maybe it is better after all to let things progress slowly. I see so much trouble in the world from mankind leaping ahead way too fast in some things, faster than our frail psyches can keep up with sometimes. Kinda like if you went back to 1920 and gave a guy who's used to driving a Model T and rightfully can't conceive of a car that'll easily and (relatively) safely zip up to over 100 MPH and handle/brake accordingly well too, and drop him into a new BMW he would probably kill himself in less than two minutes - but we moderns who benefit from slow but progressive advances in automotive technology take that Beemer in stride. (Probably not the best analogy, but hey!)

Dunno, just thinking out loud.

It's always good to think about this kind of stuff. However, I've seen some absolute tack driving go down in very windy conditions. Even saw a 1 hole 10 shot group shot at 100 yards from a NRA competitor and his souped up Anschutz rifle. Some things have been eye openers for sure. Hell, rifles have been damn good for nearly a century now. Take my 1949 Winchester model 52 for example. It will compete with any high dollar rifle made these days. The ammo is what has improved slowly over the years though. Rifles pretty much staying the same internally, but looking different on the outside. Optics have also advanced to a high degree, even over the last 20 years. I think it really depends on individual needs. I myself am happy with the accuracy/precision I get out of every 22lr I own. From my Savage target rifles, Win 52, to my newest 10/22 clone. They all shoot damn fine. That may not be good enough for a high dollar benchrester, but good enough for my needs.

The other day I was shooting in a damn wind storm. Here are the results with 20+ year old ammo:

After 1 adjustment on the old Weaver V16 4-16x42, and I'm in the ballpark:

That old Weaver cost me $100.00 used a few years ago, but it works as it should. The rifle works as it should, and multiple ammos work as they should. In the wind even!!! This may be an eye opener to those that don't shoot in the wind much, but it was so windy that day that I had to tie the bottom of the backer board to the steel stand. Otherwise it was at full sail. When I got there, the target backer board was blowing 90 degrees from the target stand. I've shot a lot in the wind, but at the ranges most rimfire shoots are held (50 yards), the wind really doesn't affect what I do. I know, the naysayers will chime in.
Cool

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Just thinking out loud...

Have we reached the apex of what we can expect from the .22 LR - and in particular the bullets to which it is limited? I know there is always room for improvement but even the most accurate ammo possible is still going to shoot a ballistically inefficient bullet at a low velocity.

Would we be better off putting some major development into something like the new 21 Sharp? I've never owned a .17 caliber rimfire but by all accounts, run of the mill .17 caliber rifles outshoot similar .22's by a good bit and especially as the range increases. A faster bullet with a much better BC that loses velocity at a much lower rate will always be less affected by wind.

In a perfectly windless environment good .22 LR ammo in excellent barrels can certainly show incredible one hole accuracy, but outside of that (literally outside) environmental factors will always be more detrimental to less ballistically efficient projectiles.

My long winded point here is that instead of relying on esoteric efforts to create results that are greatly affected by factors outside of our control (the art of reading the wind vs. the science of bullet and rifle technology), could we not see a major leap forward by by simply changing the bullet that a .22 LR case can shoot?

Food for thought.

I would say that there's always room for improvement. Had the shooters and ammo makers of 100 years ago thrown their hands up and said "this is as good as it can get" we'd be in a fix today. But, I doubt we'll see over the next 100 years the same dramatic increase in quality/accuracy that we've seen over the last 100 years. Ammo makers have spent a sh*t ton of money to develop what we now have (probably not out of kindness toward we shooters but as a means of profiting more than their competitors - always follow the money). Subtle changes in bullet shape, lead alloy, lube, cases, powder, priming compounds, etc. have served to move us forward. How much is left in that pot I don't know.

As for better BC bullets for the .22LR case, and different calibers, etc. yeah, I think that's where we'll see the most improvement. But along with new ideas about ammo there has to be attendant changes in the equipment that shoots it. I'll submit that the current .22LR match ammo is about as optimal as you can get for the bores/chambers/throats of the guns we shoot it in. Will more ballistically efficient bullets demand changes in said barrels, etc.? Undoubtedly. And will such revolutionary changes in ammo & gear demand revolutionary changes in how we approach the game, yeah probably again. That all spells money - money that ammo companies has to spend, and money we'll have to spend to get on the bandwagon - and to that end maybe it is better after all to let things progress slowly. I see so much trouble in the world from mankind leaping ahead way too fast in some things, faster than our frail psyches can keep up with sometimes. Kinda like if you went back to 1920 and gave a guy who's used to driving a Model T and rightfully can't conceive of a car that'll easily and (relatively) safely zip up to over 100 MPH and handle/brake accordingly well too, and drop him into a new BMW he would probably kill himself in less than two minutes - but we moderns who benefit from slow but progressive advances in automotive technology take that Beemer in stride. (Probably not the best analogy, but hey!)

Dunno, just thinking out loud.

Here's a sensible video regarding rifles and ammo. Good advice from this guy. I'm usually not a huge fan of his, but he hits on some good points.

Pay close attention to what he says about the "law of dimenshing returns".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A lot of good info guys. I appreciate it!! I love reading stories about your good shooting rifles and what you feed them too. Thanks!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's one of the reasons why I stopped shooting Wolf Match. Not only is it the dirtiest ammo it is caked in lube. Now I use the 500 round bricks as a doorstop.

Thanks buddy. However I've seen more lube on the Norma Tac22 ammo. That stuff is greezy!!! In cold (below freezing), that lube gets real sticky and starts affecting groups and even velocity as well. No bueno here. If you lived closer, I'd trade you a real doorstop for that Wolf match target ammo you have. ha ha..

PM me your address and I will ship you my Wolf. I can always find a new doorstop.

I'll PM you, we can talk a price buddy!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
A tale strictly for amusement purposes. Many years back I bought a Vickers Special Grade II 1928 Special. It was represented by the seller as a super accurate rifle, which it never was with me at the helm. Enter an old! English gentleman emigrant I met. He had a mantel loaded with 'miniature rifle club' trophies. I related my tale of woe with the Vickers Special. He told me that it was a proper English rifle and it demanded proper English feeding. At his insistence, I bought the required Eley Tenex, cleaned the bore of the 'pollution of that foreign ammunition' (Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match) and fired 20 or so to season the bore...and bingo...she was competing with the 52B's. The old gentleman claimed that Eley still used beeswax and tallow, the only lube that doesn't cook or build up as round count goes up and he claimed that Vickers had cut the chamber to fit the Tenex...perhaps so.
It'll never be an Anschutz...but it is amazing to see what a nearly century old rifle can do with fodder it likes.

That mirrors my experience with a 1930's vintage BSA Model 12 that lives here. Feed it pretty much anything under the sun and it'll make you smile, but feed it Tenex and you'll be scheming how to get your buddies to shoot for money.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That mirrors my experience with a 1930's vintage BSA Model 12 that lives here. Feed it pretty much anything under the sun and it'll make you smile, but feed it Tenex and you'll be scheming how to get your buddies to shoot for money.

I love the old rifles. I've seen a bunch of older Mossbergs shoot lights out too. Some even hang with much more expensive Winchester 52's.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
For some reason, my Savage-Anshutz 10D really liked Aguila SE (blue box). And did not like Norma Tac22, or the Aguila SE (orange box,) and I got mixed results from various flavors of CCi, and some other odds and ends ammo.

However, in my H&R 451, the CCi standard velocity is just ridiculously accurate out of it.

I need to actually buy some true competition grade ammo and see how they fire out of my ever expanding collection.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Tenex huh gnoahhh. I'll remember that one. That schidt is kind of expensive though. Probably why you want to shoot for money. To recoup some of the cost!!!! ha ha..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BSA,
Knowing your interest in groups larger than 3 to 5 shots and also for stretching the distance out past 50 or 100 yds I recommend you look up the “50 at 200yds” thread over on another board posted by a shooter “Jala”. The compiled data base of ammo types and guns used made for some informative buying during the last shortage. The super premiums did well. But some bargains were had also. For my CZ457 the SK biathalon and pistol match both proved to be very good.
I think you will enjoy the rabbit hole if you like bell curve distribution and just how challenging it is to get a soft lead bullet seated without damage in a consistently primed 22lr brass case. I give all the OEMs credit for running a tight production line making rimfire ammo.
All the best in the New Year.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 01/01/24.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The best from my T1x are lapua pistol king, lapua center-x, Sk pistol match and RWS r50. I really need to get ahold of more r50.

Some scores on usbr cards at 50yds in our local matches with my T1x.

Not great scores but pretty solid when you figure I’m the one shooting, lol.

233, 231, 232, 232 - Pistol King
230, 231- center-x
237, 233, 231, 231, 232 - Sk pistol match

R50 I’ve not used it a match yet but groups have been absolutely unbelievable.

Eley Match is one I’d like to try.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
I thought I read somewhere that Federal Gold Medal was made by RWS. Has anyone else heard that?
I know RWS makes the Norma ammo and I find the Norma Match and subsonic shoot quite well in most of my rifles.
SK Jag. Standard, while well lubed does shoot very well in most rimfires. Since I don't shoot it thru my 10-22's, the lube has never been an issue.
Something else I've noticed is if I shoot lubed ammo then shoot some mediocre accurate bulk ammo, the first 5 rounds or so are nicely accurate, then the accuracy drops off. That lube does make a difference.

When participating in an online shooting challenge where we shot 50rds. of the same ammo in one setting, I shot 45rds of SK Standard thru my Kimber Hunter Classic ( I think it was the Classic, could have been the HS model), I had used 5 rounds to lower the scope poi, boy was that stupid. After 5 or so rounds I lost my cross hair center point. LOL
Anyway, doing that sure shows the consistency of the rifle and ammo.

Later that week I shot the custom 581/541 (I call it my wannabe) using the same ammo and amount for a comparison.

Another online contest consisted of shooting a different type of target which ended up being quite challenging for me. I used my very favorite accuracy and hunting round to compete.

And just for the heck of it, here are some very old targets using RWS Sub. in the rifle that started all of this madness for extremely accurate sporter weight rifles, or you could say the Ultimate Squirrel rifle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by K22
Something else I've noticed is if I shoot lubed ammo then shoot some mediocre accurate bulk ammo, the first 5 rounds or so are nicely accurate, then the accuracy drops off. That lube does make a difference.

I noticed the same thing a few years ago and as an experiment I put 100 rounds of SK Match and 100 rounds of a good grouping lot of CCI std vel together in a baggie and shook them around enough to get the lube spread onto the CCI. The results were very interesting - testing showed that the group size of the CCI decreased from consistent .5 to consistent .4 inch groups.
I was surprised at how much of a decrease there was - lube does make a difference.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome information guys!! Some great shooting there K22. I remember that online challenge. I think I started it here? I also remember you and guys like penndog, Certifiable, and gnoahhh doing quite well on those targets. It was also a challenge for my rifles as well, but you did very well, if I remember right. There are quite a few great shooters in the rimfire forums here, that are a wealth of knowledge. I think in that challenge, we got to see a lot of high end 22lr being shot, and some of it did very well. Thanks for your input.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.