Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RHClark Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I would be very interested to hear your thoughts. I need something even smaller and lighter than a micro 380 at times. I saw some YouTube videos where the NAA failed to ignite the primer and wondered if it's a problem with NAA or just rimfire ammo in general.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect it was cheap rimfire ammo.
I’ve owned 3 of the NAA mini revolvers over the years. 1 in 22 short. 1 in .22 LR. And 1 in 22 mag.
All were reliable and never failed to fire a round.

They are hard to aim and hit with without a ton of practice. And the velocities are dismal out of their short barrels. And VERY SLOW to reload.

Got rid of mine when KelTec released their 1st P-32 auto. Eventually switched to a Ruger LCP 380.

Never seen a time since when I needed or wanted something smaller. YMMV, but a small, slow to reload 22 revolver vs a micro .380 that’s easily reloaded with an extra magazine just doesn’t “make sense” for me.

I will add that I only carry a .380 for a BUG.
Never again as a stand alone “defense weapon”.

Other than the Courthouse, once a year, I just don’t go to places I can’t carry at least a mid to full size auto anymore. Period.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/31/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The NAA Black Widow is longer than a Kahr P380 and the Ruger LCP. The NAA BW is only about 1 oz. lighter, and .2" shorter than either of the 380 as well.

Just saying you are not gaining much of anything in concealability over the smallest semiauto 380s.

Granted, the 380s are marginal defensive tools. I would still say they are a significantly better defensive tool than the NAA Black Widow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The NAA Black Widow is longer than a Kahr P380 and the Ruger LCP. The NAA BW is only about 1 oz. lighter, and .2" shorter than either of the 380 as well.

Just saying you are not gaining much of anything in concealability over the smallest semiauto 380s.

Granted, the 380s are marginal defensive tools. I would still say they are a significantly better defensive tool than the NAA Black Widow.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RHClark
I would be very interested to hear your thoughts. I need something even smaller and lighter than a micro 380 at times. I saw some YouTube videos where the NAA failed to ignite the primer and wondered if it's a problem with NAA or just rimfire ammo in general.
Rimfire isn't as reliable in ignition as centerfire.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had a .22 LR NAA Mini Revolver since the late 1980s. They are very well made and reliable. Use the highest quality rimfire ammo, and you should be okay.

I have the slightly oversized grips on mine.

It's the only pocket gun that I am willing to carry for any length of time. Can't stand the feeling of the LCP or Kel-Tec P32 in my front pants pocket.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have experience with an NAA Pug (22 WMR) and a NAA 22LR/22 WMR convertible mini. I have shot a lot of magnums through the Pug. It was very reliable with Speer Gold Dots, but lately I have gotten occasional failures to fire with the same batch of ammo. I think it is going to have to go back for service. I think it is wise to get a model with the cylinder pin assembly that the Pug and Black Widow have because the ball detent on the standard versions appears to experience some wear if you shoot them a bunch with magnums.

One other thing that is a disadvantage of the design is that you really need to practice cocking the gun under stress because it is not hard to fumble that with such a small gun.

I also think that Montana Marine makes some valid points about the size of the Black Widow in relation to other more effective firearms. If you really need something small, the Pug may be better.

Finally, if you use a thumbs forward grip normally, beware of the cylinder gap with your support hand thumb.

They are fun little guns but they have limitations.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I have experience with an NAA Pug (22 WMR) and a NAA 22LR/22 WMR convertible mini. I have shot a lot of magnums through the Pug. It was very reliable with Speer Gold Dots, but lately I have gotten occasional failures to fire with the same batch of ammo. I think it is going to have to go back for service. I think it is wise to get a model with the cylinder pin assembly that the Pug and Black Widow have because the ball detent on the standard versions appears to experience some wear if you shoot them a bunch with magnums.

One other thing that is a disadvantage of the design is that you really need to practice cocking the gun under stress because it is not hard to fumble that with such a small gun.

I also think that Montana Marine makes some valid points about the size of the Black Widow in relation to other more effective firearms. If you really need something small, the Pug may be better.

Finally, if you use a thumbs forward grip normally, beware of the cylinder gap with your support hand thumb.

They are fun little guns but they have limitations.

Cheyenne nails it as per usual.

Smallest gun I’ll ever carry as a BUG, is my LCP 380.
Mine stays loaded with the Buffalo Boar Hard Cast load.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/31/23.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RHClark Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Appreciate all the thoughts. I haven't handled the Black Widow and didn't realize it was so much larger than some of the other NAA revolvers. I need a revolver to carry rat shot as a first round. This is not for self-defense against possibly armed humans. For that I personally want 9mm minimum.

Last edited by RHClark; 12/31/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My brother in Florida, has one for 10 years or more, loves it, and has killed alot of snakes with it.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you carry one of those…….get the newer type that open like a mini Schofield

Reload much quicker

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sidewinder in 22 mag is an excellent choice.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
If you carry one of those…….get the newer type that open like a mini Schofield

Reload much quicker
I wish NAA would make that gun in a four shot .32 S&W Long.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Does anyone have any experience with a NAA 22 with the folding grip? I’ve considered it for a while now, thinking that the pocket clip would be much better than weighing down your pocket. Plus the grip is substantially bigger when deployed.

I haven’t actually handled one, it’s just been a thought so far but seemed to be the best carry method if it locks open solidly.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AZtwins
Does anyone have any experience with a NAA 22 with the folding grip? I’ve considered it for a while now, thinking that the pocket clip would be much better than weighing down your pocket. Plus the grip is substantially bigger when deployed.

I haven’t actually handled one, it’s just been a thought so far but seemed to be the best carry method if it locks open solidly.
Hickok45 has one of those, and did a video or two about it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AZtwins

Hickok45 has one of those, and did a video or two about it.

Thanks Hawk, I’ll check it out!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i had a folding grip and did not really like it. eventually i got a pug and gave my son the black widder. the pug is noticeably smaller in the pocket.

the pug is carried with a cci rat shot up first for rattle mocs. it is always in my pocket and serves well for varmints.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rayporter
i had a folding grip and did not really like it. eventually i got a pug and gave my son the black widder. the pug is noticeably smaller in the pocket.

the pug is carried with a cci rat shot up first for rattle mocs. it is always in my pocket and serves well for varmints.
What is it you didn’t like? Grip angle? Quality - or lack thereof? Just curious, I need to find one to handle…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.