Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's almost everything pertaining to hunting & fishing etc. came from Herters. My dad tied flies and sold them in the Gambles store locally
and all of his equipment and fly tying supplies came from Herters. Of course everything Herters sold was "World Famous" . I couldn't wait to get my hands on that big catalog with all of the archery supplies and rifles etc, that we couldn't afford.
Come to think of it, I still have a large mesh bag of genuine Herters decoys.
Those were truly the good old days-----to me anyway. Well except the days I froze my feet in those World Famous rubber insulated packs that were rubber inside and out.
I almost quit duck hunting because of them smile

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shot my first doe with a Herters Sitka bow and a Ram MX broadhead in 1975 or so. Pretty heady stuff for a young kid.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Anybody ever see a double shoulder Herter’ Ram Magnum in the flesh? I remember them in the catalog and loading manual but I don’t know that they ever actually made any.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Things were a little cheaper back then.

Press, powder measure, scale, dies, other items for a little under $60 shipped.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by Mike70560; 05/25/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I think the 401's were made for Herter's by Sauer and Son. I thought I read somewhere they offered those guns in other chamberings. Does anyone know what all they were available in???

A friend of mine has one he inherited in .44 Mag. Sort of looks like a Ruger Super Blackhawk until you start looking closely.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
One catalog had an article about Herter's son shooting a jaguar with a .401 Powermag, in south Texas I believe. I never understood why the .401 would be better than a .44 or .41 magnum.

As for the wasp waist sonic bullet, it was advertised as having less drag just like an F104 uses a wasp waist to reduce drag. However, the aerodynamic principle does not apply unless one has wings projecting from the projectile.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I seem to remember that George's son Jacques was pretend. No such person.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Summer vacation was a trip from the Mississippi coast to Valley Head Alabama to visit PaPaw and Nana. Lookout Mountain stood silent sentinel over their farm. Big Wills Creek carved its way through the fecund soils that fed their pasture and their vegetable garden. I can still hear the sound of the spring that kept their basement door closed, and that special basement smell was always a warm welcome back from a day afield with our BB guns and cane poles.

In the basement in a rough hewn gun rack resided a JC Higgins 22 semi-automatic, and two custom rifles built on Remington 722 actions. One was a 244 Remington with a mid-weight blued Douglas Premium barrel. The other was a 22-250 with a stainless Douglas Premium heavy barrel. It began life as a wildcat. PaPaw showed me how he necked down 250-3000 brass to make the hot rod 22-250. He could hit a groundhog from 400 yards away with the Weaver 6 power scope showing the way.

Below the gun rack was another rack with a few small cubbies. Those cubbies held Herter's bullets in several weights and calibers. Some of those bullets were Herter's Wasp Waist bullets. I opened the box and stared at them in wonderment several times each summer. On the bench beneath the bullets were assorted tins of IMR powder. On the edge of the bench was mounted a beast of a Herter's cast iron press.

Off to the right was a stack of Herter's catalogs. Those too were plied several times each summer. The few color printed pages offered laminated Herter's stocks in a gorgeous blond and dark walnut two tone color. I was fascinated with them. One day, I too would order things from the Herter's catalog, I dreamed.

Dang Paul, I lived just a few miles over the state line from you.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Things were a little cheaper back then.

Press, powder measure, scale, dies, other items for a little under $60 shipped.

I had much of that same equipment back in the day, late 50’s. Loaded some good stuff. I later went with RCBS but the Herter equipment was heavy and solid. RCBS seemed a bit more refined. Can’t say RCBS loaded better ammo, although the equipment looked better. Trying to remember what I did with the Herter stuff. Must have given it to good buds. Don’t remember selling it. As you show, it didn’t cost that much, even in those dollars.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Herter's bullet box I have. Just an empty box.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GOA
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
When I was 12,( in the Dark Ages..........when dinosaurs roamed the earth -----) and I'd bought my very first rifle with my own money. A used Winchester M70 in 270 with a Weaver K4 on top. Ammo cost almost $4 a box and reloading it made things a lot easier on a country boy who's only wages were what I could do for folks in about a 10 mile radius of where our home was. I had free access to my Dad's 22 pump rifle if I paid for my own ammo, and at 10 years old Dad bough me a 20 ga shotgun, but the 270 was like magic with it came to killing deer, coyotes, jack rabbits, rock-chucks and did just fine when it was time to kill any cattle of horses too. But 20 cents a shot was SO EXPENSIVE! So Herders was the answer and I bought the exact same reloading set-up as Mike70560 shows in his pics. Dad gave me a bit of money to send in to buy a set of 300 Savage dies too. (The family deer rifle was his old 99 up to that point in time) I still have and use the powder measure, and having bought and used several presses, measures and scales over the last 60 years I have to say I have yet to find ANY powder measure that drops charges any closer then that old herders measure. A few I own now are as good but I've never found one better.

As I recall it was under $10 in those days.

I bought various things from herders in my youth. Looking through a catalog was the stuff of dreams back then.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, Szihn, those catalogues were very interesting. I spent lots of time perusing those pages. Quite entertaining for a teen who loved such stuff. World’s best everything. Yeah.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think my first .44 mag revolver was a Herter's, right before my first Ruger .44 mag. Seems I shot that first Herters pretty much to pieces, but I have another now. Bought it to "match" my Herters .401 that I found later in life. Haven't loaded for the .401 in awhile, but seems like I used some .41 mag equipment, maybe some of that brass.

That Herter's .44 mag was/is a real "Hand cannon"!

Mike Holmes

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Herter's bullet box I have. Just an empty box.

I shot a lot of those 125 grain HP's out of a 740 auto back in the 60's. With A Kollmorgen 4x Bearcub scope and Stith mounts I shot 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards. Yes I know, unbelievable but true! Many a ground squirrel and jackrabbits never knew what hit them.

I still have about twenty Herter's 70 gr HP's l loaded in the 60's for my 244 Sako Forester Deluxe.

I was told way back then the bullets were made by Hornady, but were they?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have quite a bit of Herter's brass in the silver and black boxes, made by Norma I believe.

I also have a Herter's scope that is like a B&L Balvar that requires mounts with windage and elevation adjustments. I bought it during my Balvar phase, but never put it into service. As poorly as the Balvar series sold, I'm surprised that Herter's went to the effort to sell a knock-off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vapodog
I was given my first gun in 1960.....a Marlin 39-A and the following year I bought a Remington 760 in .270. For a kid of 15 the .270 was expensive to feed so I learned about Herter's and was taught a lot about reloading. Waseca was about 50 miles west of our farm and we had a neighbor that had a Cessna and he would give me a ride to Waseca when he was going himself. The airport in those days was just across the road from Herter's.....how convenient.

As it happened my association with Herter's continued until the early '70s as I worked for a machine shop that made many of Herter's products later in life.....OOOOO....what an education that was!!!! The "good old days" wasn't as good as we remember.....but let's hear your story about Herter's of Waseca!

I'm smiling and all ears on this one.
I go to supper occasionally with a guy who grew up in South Dakota and was a traveling salesman for a car parts company. His sales area included Minnesota. It seems like every time we go out to eat he talks about Herters. It seems he stopped in that store on a regular basis going from shop to shop many years ago. Lyle is now 92 years old and can't see well but he is as sharp as a tack and he smiles a lot when he talks about stopping in at the Herters store.

It seems I went years not hearing that name and now it pops up again. I remember hearing about it as a youth but I never was at the store. I see someone is making 12 gauge ammo with their name on it.

Great conversation.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Alot of stuff sold by Herter's was outsourced. (Made by other companies) Hudson Bay played a big part in it as well as some of the tool and die companies. Herter's did have its own pat. on duck and goose decoys and foam minnow buckets. Herter's decoys are still made today I believe. They also had a store in Glenwood MN. with a big moose statue out front.

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 01/01/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Between the two older brothers and I we had quite a bit of Herters gear. Brother had a Herters square end fiberglass canoe he affectionately named "Lennie" after George Leonard himself....decent but heavy as hell. We had a lot of their $10 stock blanks with the roll over combs, a 16 ga shotshell reloading press that was OK, a powder scale that was not OK, a powder measure that was marginal, fishing lures that I don't remember, bulk monofilament line that was junk, and probably a lot more stuff I can't remember. I wanted to get.270 J9 and .338 Win Magnum U9 barreled actions from them to make up two big game rifles back in '70....but they were not available. I ended up with a Sako Finnbear L61 .270 barreled action instead.

The brother's recurve bow was a very quick bow but the limb broke...and Bob Barrie was a heck of an archery pioneer and bowhunter. They had a photo in the archery section of the catalog of the supposed archery taken World Record Dall sheep....killed by Bob Hansen, an Alaskan that later was charged with flying women out into the bush in his Super Cub and murdering them (true story).

I still have an old Herters catalog and remember the quick 300 mile day trip visits to Waseca from our central WI farm....had to milk 'em morning and night you know.
I was in Alaska in the middle 1970's and that was a big story about bob and the girls (hookers) that he killed.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somebody gave me these awhile back. I don't even own a .222. If the right one comes along, these are my excuse to buy it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Somebody gave me these awhile back. I don't even own a .222. If the right one comes along, these are my excuse to buy it.

MOST PERFECT MUSHROOMING BULLETS MADE IN THE WORLD

Love IT!

GOA
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 64 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.